crank extractor and peg spanner in hand luggage - problem?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

crank extractor and peg spanner in hand luggage - problem?

Post by Sweep »

I fear i already know the answer to this, but would folks expect this to be a problem?

Nothing sharp. Won't be taking any other tools.

No hold luggage at all, not even a bike.

By peg spanner i mean the small thing for holding the back of chainring bolts while you tighten/loosen them.

Never can be too careful. I know someone who was stopped with a d lock.
Sweep
nirakaro

Re: crank extractor and peg spanner in hand luggage - problem?

Post by nirakaro »

I had a 5mm allen key confiscated. I think a crank extractor would be a more effective weapon than that. :D
hondated

Post by hondated »

Sweep wrote:I fear i already know the answer to this, but would folks expect this to be a problem?

By peg spanner i mean the small thing for holding the back of chainring bolts while you tighten/loosen them.

Surely you could tape these to the bike !
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the reply hondated, but please read the post you have quoted.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

this opens up the topic how do prople take tools to mend things on their bike abroad without being confiscated as weapons?

or is it just in hand luggage thats a problem?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote:this opens up the topic how do prople take tools to mend things on their bike abroad without being confiscated as weapons?

or is it just in hand luggage thats a problem?

The OP shouldn't have an issue with those tools, i've had worse get through! I might put them in a plastic box or something to keep them from contaminating other stuff but certainly don't try to 'hide' them. I've taken a cable lock, zip ties and bottles of oil unintentionally through in my hand luggage at different times although I have had an extender cable stolen by security at Leeds.

When I take my bike I take tools - they simply travel with the bike. In the past its included all sorts of stuff including my leatherman with a sharp blade and long handled 8mm AK's.

I have been stopped with a packet of salt (a gift) but no notice taken of a set of cutlery - go figure.

I always try to play safe and put anything even slightly dubious in with the bike.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
meic

Post by meic »

We had a 2" plastic collapsing knife removed from the kid's magic set.
Yma o Hyd
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Why not tape it to your non existent bike or put it in your non existent hold luggage.

My sensible reply is no one knows. We can all quote all sorts of things getting through and all sorts of things not getting through.

If you have original packing, or printed instructions which could go with the items it may help, but as ever it's down to the interpretation of an individual and I'm not a mind reader.

Another mystery of life, why, when you have posted a clear question do people copy it in full before replying?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I take your point about no one knowing Simon.

Have decided to post ahead.
Sweep
hondated

Post by hondated »

Sweep wrote:thanks for the reply hondated, but please read the post you have quoted.

DAH ! Sorry sweep I can be a bit thick at times.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

:)

no worries hondated.

Hits us all sometimes.
Sweep
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

meic wrote:We had a 2" plastic collapsing knife removed from the kid's magic set.

We had about 5 nerf guns* removed from hand luggage at Heathrow on our way to Norway. They all got swabbed for explosives too. Junior recovered but now refuses to do any packing on the grounds of not being in the wrong again. I'd forgotten that he'd put one in (had meant to move it to hold luggage- the rest he sneaked in himself!- we've agreed not to travel armed with nerf guns anywhere in our luggage in future).

*for those without small boys nerf guns are white and orange toy guns that shoot blue and orange foam bullets.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:I fear i already know the answer to this, but would folks expect this to be a problem?

If you're in real need of a crank extractor (?) then post it in advance to the destination.
Tools are always looked suspicious in UK airports, so I won't take the risk. Ask for them tools where the bike is hired (as this is what I understand)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply gattonero.

All was posted.

Person at the other end, italy, has informed me that all was received aok.
Took a week. Which is ok but the tracking info became somewhat useless at the italian end - struck me as somewhat italian - producers' pride - yes we will do it but we are damned if we will grovel before you by keeping you informed.

Will very possibly use this system in the future.
Sweep
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

If it raises any question in your own mind don't take it in your hand luggage. The staff who check this stuff are very busy and not interested in bike maintenance. As far as they are concerned there's too much at stake to let anything remotely questionable on. I once had to persuade a mate who was arguing with a N. Ireland ferry person who wouldn't let us take diving cylinders on board that it was her call and she could disallow anything she chose and if we didn't like it we would have to lump it. Or not get on the ferry. In the end we found a pub to look after them for a week and rented cylinders over there.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West