Would you buy an ex-demo bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Would you buy an ex-demo bike?

Post by 1982john »

The full price is £650 the bike is discounted to £500 but there is an ex-demo which is my size for £350.

It's on a website so I can't see it before hand and I can't afford the £500 price. What do you think? Do these just get smashed around? I used to work for a car company and people treated demo cars like crap!
Paulatic

Re: Would you buy an ex-demo bike?

Post by Paulatic »

In answer to your heading, yes I would.
Would I buy the one you are looking At? I've no idea without seeing it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If its a road bike why not? I bought a Cannondale test MTbike a few years ago, but, I was able to see it first, although it was scratched here and there it was fine. You might have scratches but nothing should be worn out. You can ask about defects before you buy.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Yes, but I'd want to see a few photos first, esp. those showing any 'blemishes' ;)
"42"
pwa

Post by pwa »

With that price drop yes, i'd buy it and accept the odd minor scratch or scuff. Should be a genuine bargain.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you need to ask for details about blemishes?

any dents?
any rust?
scratches?
how worn out is the drive train?
what warranty given?

I am sure others here can add other things to ask
robgul

Post by robgul »

Subject to the type of bike - I would avoid MTBs that have been demos.

Otherwise at that difference in price it's probably worth a punt (there's always ebay!) - BUT how far away is it? - can you go and see it and take it away with you? Cost of getting there is the obvious question.

... and why not make a cheeky offer at £300?

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Thanks all - yes it's a road bike.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Just remember that you still have rights even on a used bike. It may be ex demo and be almost perfect or it could have a worn drivetrain and loads of scratches. The shop should ensure it works before you take it away and point out if stuff will need replacing - a knackered drivetrain could easily cost the amount you are hoping to save to replace.

On the plus side, most demo road bikes don't get abused or even ridden much so go take a look.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Look at it first.................yes........take a mate who knows his stuff.

Probably sold as seen, even so it will be road safe, it would have to be.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

would you buy secondhand bike? If the answer is yes why wouldn't you buy a demo bike. There not cars. People are happy to buy Bikes from the....1930s. Ride it nohanded, if it rides true no problems with frame. A bit unlikey anyway that a shop would sell a seriously dameged bike.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Intrigued by what is referred to as a 'demo' bike. ie on display in a shop and ridden around the car park before customer places an order? Depending on i's use then yes probably. I bought an end of season hire bike off the co., we hire from, out in Mallorca and leave it out there. But i knew that between each hire contract the bikes are given a full check over and are well serviced.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

As eileithyia says depends on the "demo" use. If just a few rides by a customer round the car park then I doubt it would be sold as ex-demo. If sent off to different journalists for reviews/tests then it might have experienced a lot more wear and tear (even from just being shipped around).

If it were just a few rides from a shop by a customer then I doubt it would be discounted that much (in fact I'd expect it to be sold as new).

Why not ask the seller for details of the "demo" use ?

Ian