London to Exeter route advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
spearmint wino

Re: London to Exeter route advice

Post by spearmint wino »

horizon wrote:I think it's great but then I like old A roads.

I do too provided they're not chock full of 12-wheeler trucks screaming past at 58mph :lol:

Thanks again everyone, will plan a new road-only route based on your advice.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

There was a section of towpath near Aldermaston Wharf that was loose gravel like a shingle beach when I was there in 2001. It was virtually impossible to balance on.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
jk49

Post by jk49 »

I've cycled from Bath to Reading on the K&A. The bit between Devizes and Pewsey is very tricky on narrow tyres, as are fairly frequent sections afterwards. I used 1.75" travel contacts and still had the occasional moment! (slippery stone ledges under the humpback bridges. Everything is doable, but it will be slow, slightly tense going on a good part of the towpath, particularly if there has been rain.....
FWIW I found the canal path north of Taunton faster going, but that's another story.
LongUn1

Post by LongUn1 »

Hi,
I've just cycled 210 miles from London to Exeter in 3 days on a road bike 25' tyres. Day 1 to Winchester (Thames towpath from Hampton to Woking-bit bumpy in parts), Day 2 to Yeovil and Day 3 to Exeter. Very do-able. Avoided most of the main roads by planning on google maps. Day 3 had to do about 6 miles on A30 which was a bit hairy, fast roads with plenty of lorries but survived. Stopped at 303 Diner for a breather and a coffee. Can probably avoid this section but would add more miles and climbs!
Good luck.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

My other half and I did something similar during a ride we did to raise money for Prostate Cancer Research.

We rode from Woodbridge to Henley on the first day, Henley to Westbury on day 2 and Westbury to Exeter on day 3. Day 1 was 143miles, day 2 was 68 and day 3 was 88. Day 3 was hardest, once we hit the Devon hills.

For the bit you are interested in, we went Henley, Reading, Woolhampton, Thatcham, Newbury, Hungerford, Burbage, Pewsey, West Lavington, Westbury, Frome, Castle Cary, Langport, Taunton, Tiverton, Exeter.

We were road biking with no kit. If you are interested, I can email you the routes. PM me if need be.

Really enjoyed it, though the first day was so wet, it was biblical and we had three punctures. The section to Westbury was probably my fave. I know we tried the canal for a short section but it wasn't worthwhile.

Good luck
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

spearmint wino wrote:I'm planning on riding from London to Exeter at some point in the next few weeks, ideally over 2 days.

I'm pretty fit, and will be on my road bike traveling light with just a saddlebag for civives and change of cycling clothes.

I plotted this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14892704 picking up the Kennet and Avon canal at Reading, although this is probably quite a bit slower than on the roads? And also not sure about the state of the surface on 25mm tyres with very close-fitting guards.

Here's another option I did which cuts south before Bath: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14890563

Anyone familiar with any sections of these? What are your thoughts?

Is there a viable road option? Ideally I'd be avoiding busy A roads if possible, but quietish ones not too bad though.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
IMHO The route across west London will difficult to follow if you are not local