Tancarville crossing in Normandy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robgul

Tancarville crossing in Normandy

Post by robgul »

I've been looking at Google maps, my own IGN maps and lots of very old posts here and on other fora - I'm looking for the CURRENT info please.

We will cycling from Caen to Tancarville, via Honfleur - and needing to cross the Seine - my research suggests:

1 The Pont de Normandie is legal on a bike but hard to find the way on, and then not much more than cycling on the hard-shoulder of a motorway. Not keen, especially for some of the group.

2 I have heard that there is a bus that crosses the Pont de Normandie and takes bikes - can't find any info on that.

3 Pont de Tancarville seems to have conflicting evidence on whether you can cycle across it - and if so is it any more friendly than the Pont de Normandie

4 The map, and other info, shows a "bac" ferry just to the east of Tancarville at Quillebeuf - does that still run (the websites for it all seem to be broken)

All info gratefully received

Rob

UPDATE : I've just found the timetable for the bac - but would still like bridge(s) info as that's more direct
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
al_yrpal

Re: Tancarville crossing in Normandy

Post by al_yrpal »

You can cycle over the Pont de Normandie. The bridge entrance is not hard to find. Cycle on the footpath off the roadway which is bumpy but safer than the cycle path which is on the roadway with massive Poids Lourds thundering along within inches.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The Pont de Tancarville was cycling on the fairly narrow footpath, protected by the kerb. There may be a bit of manhandling required to get loaded bikes past the main bridge cables - it looks like there are 2 cables each side, and you go through the narrow gap between them. This was good up to the start of this year, and actually crossing the bridge won't have changed, if it is still permitted.
The tollbooth area was moved to the south side of the Pont de Tancarville earlier this year (due to finish July), with the approach roads being considerably realigned, and it's not at all clear what the cycle access arrangements are. The northern tollbooth area was removed.
Google aerial photos and streetview images dated before May 2016 are showing the old arrangement.
Bing aerial & Bing maps have the old arrangement.
Geoportail has "under construction" images, with interim "roads" marked out in yellow paint. The May Google streetview images are similarly of an interim arrangement.
Google Maps and Opentreetmap both have you following the D6178 to a small roundabout immediately before the new tollbooths, and going round it with the rest of the traffic. This looks similar to the interim arrangment shown on Geoportail, but that has the northbound A131 traffic bypassing the roundabout and merging in from the right. This Youtube shows someone cycling over in the main traffic lane during the interim phase (Sept '15)
Unless someone has crossed more recently than June or July, I think it would have to be turn up and hope. If necessary, there is a road that follows the south side of the A131 to the D103 bridge south of Quilleboeuf that would be the bail out option if you can't find any reasonable cycle access.
There should be some access - I found an official site that said "The existing access roads will be partially retained and redeveloped for moving bicycles and pedestrians" (in French).

The Pont de Normandie gives you a choice of the footpath, or a British style 1 m wide cycle lane, protected by painted rumble strip. You probably aren't meant to use the footway. There are cycle access points set up that minimise the main road riding as far as is possible.

I'd either use the ferry or the Pont de Normandie (probably the ferry, unless the bridge looked quiet).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The bac runs regularly except for 1st May, with slightly reduced services on Sundays and public holidays.

http://quillebeuf.fr/les-horaires-du-bac/

I've never taken either bridge or the Quillebeuf bac, but from watching the TdF take the Pont de Normandie I gather that the slope is significant. I like crossing the Rhine by bac: good views of anything passing by on the water, no wind, no traffic esp. vast trucks passing at arm's length (if you're lucky), and a bit of a break.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
robgul

Post by robgul »

Thanks - it looks like the ferry is the best bet as we've now changed the hotel to one a little further east and that works well with our route

(The ferry timetable website was down when I tried to access it - I now have the details)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Having done both, I much preferred the Pont de Normandie: the footpath is quite adequately separated from the heavy traffic, the view is fabulous, and though half of it is uphill, it's not what you'd call steep, and the other half is, of course, downhill. My recollection of the Pont de Tancarville – though it's a while ago – is that both the bridge and the road from le Havre are on the narrow side for the amount of traffic. For you though, using the Normandie looks like a sizeable detour, and the south side of the Seine is definitely more pleasant cycling, so I'd agree that the bac is the best option.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

nirakaro wrote:For you though, using the Normandie looks like a sizeable detour

In fact, it's the shortest route.
Turn east as soon as you get off the bridge, get onto the minor road that follows the south side of the canal, cross over the lock gates that separate the canal from the river, pass under the Pont de Tancarville, then turn left and climb up to the village.
Jacqueslemac

Post by Jacqueslemac »

The Pont de Brotonne, a little further east, is a much quieter option. I tend to use that when heading back to England via Calais (car or motorbike). The approach from the south-west is along very quiet roads.