Who can I rant at...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Who can I rant at...

Post by nirakaro »

About one-direction guidebooks?
I wanted to ride up the Rhine from Europoort to Italy, but the guide was called 'From the Source to the Sea', and was largely useless.
I wanted to ride up to Bressanone on the Ciclopista del Sole, but the delightful Italian guidebooks assume that everybody will be riding southwards.
When I was planning to do the Lakes and Dales Loop, I had good reasons to go clockwise, but they will only tell you how you to do it anticlockwise (they explained this was so you wouldn't have to keep turning right; though I suspect that most people planning a multi-day bike trip are fairly confident about that procedure :roll: ).
And now I notice that the very promising Morecambe Bay Cycle Way assumes I'll want to ride from Walney to Glasson Dock. I don't. I want to ride from Glasson to Walney. I hate them.
Something must be done about it!!
skelo

Re: Who can I rant at...

Post by skelo »

Hi Did You go up the Rhine? I too have tried reading the guidebook backwards! how did you get on?
I am planning to try to cycle from York to Lucca next summer, York-Hull/Rotterdan Ferry, Europoort-Basel on the EV15, cycle to Lucerne and then cheat on the train to Andermatt over Gotthardpass, drop drown to lake maggiore, not really decided the route from thereon.....

Any thoughts?
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Ive just ridden - Rotterdam to Basle, a substantial part of EV6, quite a lot of the Saone Velo, a lot of the Rhone Velo, the Midi, A fair part of the Velodassy - I solved this problem - I didnt bother to buy the guide books :D
jehughes7

Post by jehughes7 »

Morcambe Bay cycle route is that way as very few really want to go to Barrow unless it's to leave as soon as possible on the cycle route :-))

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my HTC_M9u using hovercraft full of eels.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

psmiffy wrote:Ive just ridden - Rotterdam to Basle, a substantial part of EV6, quite a lot of the Saone Velo, a lot of the Rhone Velo, the Midi, A fair part of the Velodassy - I solved this problem - I didnt bother to buy the guide books :D

Agree.
Never read the guide books, just a map, some knowledge about the places i want to visit, and do it my way...... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

jehughes7 wrote:Morcambe Bay cycle route is that way as very few really want to go to Barrow unless it's to leave as soon as possible on the cycle route :-))

I grant you that Barrow is perhaps not the most exciting town in the UK, but I want to end up visiting Piel Island, which I used to sail to when I was a child.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

nirakaro wrote:
jehughes7 wrote:Morcambe Bay cycle route is that way as very few really want to go to Barrow unless it's to leave as soon as possible on the cycle route :-))

I grant you that Barrow is perhaps not the most exciting town in the UK, but I want to end up visiting Piel Island, which I used to sail to when I was a child.

Sitting on a bench at Bardsea beach one sunny afternoon I had a lovely conversation with a lady who grew up on Piel. Her father was King of Piel.

Edit: to change love to lovely. Autocorrect gave it a whole new meaning :oops:
Last edited by Paulatic on 19 Nov 2016, 2:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

skelo wrote:Hi Did You go up the Rhine? I too have tried reading the guidebook backwards! how did you get on?
I am planning to try to cycle from York to Lucca next summer, York-Hull/Rotterdan Ferry, Europoort-Basel on the EV15, cycle to Lucerne and then cheat on the train to Andermatt over Gotthardpass, drop drown to lake maggiore, not really decided the route from thereon.....

Any thoughts?

Yes I did, and loved it. A few things:
The cycling facilities in Nederland are, of course, superb, but when you come off the ferry, breakfast options are few. You'll pass a nice little restaurant called de Punt at Botlek, which will just be opening as you get there (if you don't ride too fast).
The 'official' route, IIRC, follows the Lek, but I went along the Waal, camping at Dordrecht, Tiel, Millingen. Up through Germany was a nice mix of rural, urban, industrial as far as Mainz. After that, the river meanders through a flat landscape of lakes and oxbows, and you see very little of it.
I followed the advice to take the Canal du Rhein au Rhone after Strasbourg, pleasant quiet ride. I didn't want to do the two-sides-of-a-triangle through Basel, so veered off at Breisach up to Donaueschingen and had a couple of days on the Danube, very different scenery and a nice change.
I rejoined the Rhine at Friedrichshafen, and had a lovely ride all the way up to the tiny piece of Italy that drains into the North Sea. Then dropped down into Italy by the Spluga pass. It's an easy climb (as Alpine passes go) from Splugen, and the spectacular descent is the ride of a lifetime. Can't recommend it highly enough. Campsite at Campodolcino has a nice little restaurant.
Hope some of this helps
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nirakaro wrote:I rejoined the Rhine at Friedrichshafen, and had a lovely ride all the way up to the tiny piece of Italy that drains into the North Sea.

Which bit of Italy is that? Not aware of any that drains north and keeps going.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Lago di Lei, a reservoir on a little tributary of the Hinterrhien. You have to climb to about 1400m and then go through a kilometer-long tunnel to get to it. And there's nothing there, except a dam. Idiotic thing to do, I know, but I wanted to see it.
ossie

Post by ossie »

psmiffy wrote:Ive just ridden - Rotterdam to Basle, a substantial part of EV6, quite a lot of the Saone Velo, a lot of the Rhone Velo, the Midi, A fair part of the Velodassy - I solved this problem - I didnt bother to buy the guide books :D

I did The Hook down the Rhine to Mulhouse then back up EV6...not a guide book in sight....however with hindsight I perhaps should have as I really have no idea about some of the things I may have missed...next time perhaps.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm doing the Rhine bit by bit and also not bothering with the guide books, but I did buy some lovely maps from Stanfords. I enjoy researching places to go (for weeks before I go!) and on my last trip this led me to spend a day exploring ex-industrial sites in the Rurh which was amazing.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin