What cycle shoes for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I am one of those that don't quite fit Shimano shoes, they are always just a little bit tight or a little bit loose, which is a shame, as they seem to have a great range of shoes.

So, what are the alternatives for a shoe that will take cleats and can still be walked in when needed?
tatanab

Re: What cycle shoes for touring?

Post by tatanab »

Sidi do wide fitting in the MRB range which were my touring shoes for many years. http://www.sidi.com/en/products/cycling/shoes/mtb-mega
Giro Republic http://www.giro.com/eu_en/products/men/ ... ublic.html are the ones I use for summer touring. I have the leather Republic LX.
Exustar Stelvio are also wider and accommodate my thicker socks for this time of year.
http://www.exustar.co.uk/touring-shoes-45-c.asp
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I don't fit Shimano shoes, much too narrow for me, but I do like their SPuD sandals: with the upper either non-existent or easily expanded by loosening the straps it's much less of a problem. They're quite a bit less comfy to walk in than my Tevas, but for pedalling not an issue and they're comfy enough walking that I'm happy to tour in them and not take anything else bar some waterproof socks.

On a day like today, that would be rather chilly though!

I've just worn out my old Diadora Globes which have been wonderful, but Diadora don't seem to do tourable shoes any more (there was an end-of-line pair of a subsequent model available cheap from Germany, but not knowing if the model change had meant a shape-change and not being able to try them on it was a risk of a biggish return postage bill). I'd tried on some Bontrager SSR shoes and found them pretty good, so when the Diadoras had had their day (still holding up well, but the sole had worn so that new cleats stuck out too much and made walking a bit of a game) I got some of those, and so far so good. A couple of weeks' wear has got them broken in and they've gone from acceptable to quite good, and if memory serves the Diadoras took a little stretching of the uppers to really get good too.

Triton Cycles had the best price so I got them there, but they are selling. I see the 9s are out of stock, and mine are 9s...

But if you do go mail order because nobody locally has anything that fits, do accept the shape just might not work and you're effectively betting the return postage.

The Diadoras were preceded by some Specialized, long enough ago that they were pre-BG. But they were certainly wider than the Shimanos on offer back then. Shimanos always seem to have been for narrow feet. Try as much as you can on in person remains the advice.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Some good choices, thanks.

The Bontrager's are the kind of thing I have in mind.

I take an 8/42, but my road and mtb shoe experience shows that what will fit perfectly in one brand does not fit at all in another.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Spiuk Compass? Water (proof?) My Shimano MTBs got too narrow. These are what I have now. They did smell very rubbery when new. https://www.merlincycles.com/spiuk-comp ... 0wodj6INXg
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 21 Nov 2016, 9:22am, edited 1 time in total.
syklist

Post by syklist »

NeilM wrote:I am one of those that don't quite fit Shimano shoes, they are always just a little bit tight or a little bit loose, which is a shame, as they seem to have a great range of shoes.

So, what are the alternatives for a shoe that will take cleats and can still be walked in when needed?

We've been using Shimano sandals with SPD cleats for years. Combine them with woollen socks and waterproof socks and you have an adjustable footwear system that keeps your feet comfortable in most weather conditions. Sandals have one great advantage in that they don't fill up with water so you avoid that smell extremely mature brie after a couple of wet cycling days. The socks can be washed or rinsed out and dried easily.

Edit : I have large and wide feet and the two sets of Shimano sandals I have bought have fitted perfectly.
Last edited by syklist on 21 Nov 2016, 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
robc02

Post by robc02 »

The Diadoras were preceded by some Specialized, long enough ago that they were pre-BG. But they were certainly wider than the Shimanos on offer back then. Shimanos always seem to have been for narrow feet. Try as much as you can on in person remains the advice.

The most recent Specialized shoes are still wider than Shimano.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

NeilM wrote:Some good choices, thanks.

The Bontrager's are the kind of thing I have in mind.

I take an 8/42, but my road and mtb shoe experience shows that what will fit perfectly in one brand does not fit at all in another.

I agree with the "size X, for some values of X" issue. I'm usually a 43 (8.5 to 9) but my Diadoras were 44. But the Bonts are a 9/43 and seem to at least work on the same basic idea of size as my various Scarpa, Teva, Saucony, Brasher and Clarks possibilities.

But it remains the case that there's no substitute for trying on, and this also takes in the "I have wide feet" not accounting for where they're wide issue. I've got wide forefeet and fairly gothic arches meaning effectively narrow in the middle at the sole but wider higher up, so some people claim my "wide" shoes are like razor-blades and I find the same for other folks' idea of "wide".

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The EXUSTAR STELVIO-705 LEATHER SPD SHOES

can just about pass as normal shoes and easy to walk in - my cycling off road often involves lots of walking on rough ground and they do a good job with their rigid inner sole
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Nov 2016, 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have wide feet and my last 2pairs of touring shoes have been Specialized Tahoes, and the pair before that were Specialized Sonomas. I also use them for my commute, but find that they last 4-5 years even with daily use. All were comfortable enough for walking, though I wouldn't want to walk miles in them.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Cool, loads more choice than I first thought.

Now all I have to do is find stockists I can visit.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I also use SPD sandals, either Shimano or Exustar SS502 (no longer available in the UK; same as as Bike Nashbar Ragster II)
No evening footwear, one pair of cycling socks in case of rubbing, and maybe a pair of Sealskins socks if I figure there's a chance it may get cold (< 6 or 7°).