What has age got to do with cycling.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
landsurfer

What has age got to do with cycling.

Post by landsurfer »

I attended a cycle touring club meeting on Saturday.
I drove to Coleshill parkway and took the train to Birmingham New Street.
I then walked to the venue, via a short visit to the Cathedral.
And the 6 bike shops along the route.
And a coffee shop.
One of the attendees had cycled from Stockholm !!!!! :shock: !!!!!
He was the oldest member there.
80+

And before the usual suspects start off, he used ferries.

I am unworthy ....... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ossie

Re: What has age got to do with cycling.

Post by ossie »

Great effort.

I meet many people on tour who make me look like a spring chicken...it gives me tremendous confidence that I can enjoy this hobby for many years to come.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

A couple of things. I definitely have to "use the facilities" more often than I did 50 years ago - less of a problem in rural areas. Also I like to tour solo and have met up with friendly young people who I've found myself telling not wait for me as their comfortable pace is faster than mine and I don't want to spoil their fun. Sometimes I've met them at the end of the day, sometimes not.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Can only be judged statistically: Robert Marchand at one end of the scale, various too-young-to-die clogpoppers at the other. Probably relates most closely to the coronary/cardiac-disease curve, but other degenerative ills will have their effect. We all know [of] the odd outlier.

Ride for the age you feel is the only way to do it - and not for the age your missus says you should feel you are. That way lie carpet-slippers.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Very true Audax67
I'm 63 and usually feel 37
But when I bike tour I feel 27
It knocks years off me.

And I tour alone but usually enjoy the encounters i have with the real youngsters I bump into.

Carpet slippers? Not yet!
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've seen lots of aged cyclists who look like they could do with a zimmer when they are off the bike but who look young when they are cycling. It's a great activity to grow old with.
PH

Post by PH »

It's certainly no barrier to cycling, I regularly ride with people in their 70s.
Yet when it comes to touring cycle clubs the barrier seems to be at the other end of the scale. Was there anyone under 50 at the meeting? Do you think it appeals to anyone younger than that? Seems to be the way with all groups of this sort, plenty of younger folk riding, they're just don't seem to be attracted to groups. Do you think they will be as they grow older, or do you think it's the end of the road for this sort of group?
pwa

Post by pwa »

The Ramblers have long had the same issue with age and I think some of it is to do with retired people, and those whose children have grown up, having more time to devote to leisure activities. Thirty years from now there will still be cyclists spending Sundays doing long rides together. I don't know whether they will still be carrying camping gear, or sitting on Brooks saddles, but they will still be cycling for pleasure. At the moment they are dashing about on carbon fibre road bikes, but age may make their cycling style more leisurely.
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote: At the moment they are dashing about on carbon fibre road bikes, but age may make their cycling style more leisurely.

Up to a point I agree, but on any ride I see plenty of younger folk (Lets say under 40) out riding who don't fit into the dashing about category.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Audax67 wrote:
Ride for the age you feel is the only way to do it - and not for the age your missus says you should feel you are. That way lie carpet-slippers.

Well said :)

I still dream that I will climb Haytor on a 42 / 22 at speed :? Last done nearly 25 years ago, I can dream a little cant I.......
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Oder people are attracted to touring by a sense of urgency in my opinion, after you've been to a funeral or two you and your bathroom cabinet is a mini pharmacy one gets to thinking "if I don't do it now....". As well as having the time and money to do it when retired. Sorry if this is indelicate.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
PH

Post by PH »

I'm reminded that last time I used the Bike Express coach back from Spain, the average age was at least 20 years younger than the average age on any CTC group I've ridden with. I disagree that touring (In it's broadest sense) only appeals to those 50+, yet all the evidence is that touring clubs do.
DaveLewis

Post by DaveLewis »

I'm fifty but when I cycle I feel twenty again. Well, until I reach a hill, then I feel seventy. :)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Insurance companies think age is important.

My 3 month stay, as many in a year as you like, cycle touring specifically included is only available up to 65. After this it's a shorter time that you are allowed to be away.

As you get older, all travel insurance becomes more difficult regardless of how fit you are.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Pete Jack wrote:Oder people are attracted to touring by a sense of urgency in my opinion, after you've been to a funeral or two you and your bathroom cabinet is a mini pharmacy one gets to thinking "if I don't do it now....". As well as having the time and money to do it when retired. Sorry if this is indelicate.

I don't know about urgency - but I enjoy touring and have no intention of stopping unless I have to.
Obviously I have the time and sufficient money.
I first toured when I was at school - I'm now 75. On club runs I'm older than the others - I'm not fast but able to keep up - I'm generally not the slowest.
My bathroom cabinet isn't a mini pharmacy because I have no prescribed medication - I note you are writing from the USA where I believe there has been concern recently about over medication of the population :( .
I'm afraid funerals are indeed a greater part of my social life than previously.