Anybody taken a lecci to N America?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PJ520

Anybody taken a lecci to N America?

Post by PJ520 »

I have a friend who rides an electric bike in the UK that I'm trying to persuade to come here for a tour. If anyone has done this I'd love to know how it went, which airline they used, any problems with e.g. batteries. Any issues with electrical stuff once you got over here? I've made the trip several times myself with a regular bike (Trek 520) so we know about boxing up and such.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
simonhill

Re: Anybody taken a lecci to N America?

Post by simonhill »

I've flown 3 airlines in the last couple of months and read a few bike related baggage sections of other airline's websites. I think they all said no electric bikes.

I'd check a few websites. If nothing else, the battery would be an issue.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Indeed the battery is the only issue. However, I know that KLM do carry certain electrically powered wheelchairs so it may not be insurmountable.

I think you need to know exactly what type of battery you have.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Hire locally - it's not unusual these days to find them available for hire.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

F70100 wrote:Indeed the battery is the only issue. However, I know that KLM do carry certain electrically powered wheelchairs so it may not be insurmountable.

I think you need to know exactly what type of battery you have.

airlines will carry a sealed lead acid gel cell (as long as you tell them it's "dry") for a wheelchair. But it's a performance, and the sense I get is that they only do it at all because of disability discrimination legislation. Taking such a battery through security when decoupled from the machine it powers is also a rather painful process.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

E-bike batteries are almost always lithium cells of one kind or another, which airlines won't carry. The rest of it is just a bike.

There are some couriers who will carry them (possibly surface routes only), it's how they get here from China in the first place. Send the battery in advance? Or buy a battery locally, they are often interchangeable. That way you would get a 110V charger as well.

A UK spec E-bike should be road legal in most of the States, but check local regulations.

"Hire locally" seems like the best advice...
meic

Post by meic »

The rest of it is just a bike.

But normally a heavy one, dont they have some weight restrictions?
Yma o Hyd
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I had thought of taking the bike without batteries and getting batteries over here but that might get complicated with the airlines: is it an electric bike or not? plus the weight limit on bags is 23 kg (50 lbs) And I may not be able to find replacement batteries. It looks like renting is the way to go. Thanks for your input. :D

Edit. Before today I've had counter staff insist on checking the weight of my boxed bike. It was close: 45 lb. I knew my Trek 520 was a heavy bike, 35 lbs, so I thought I was OK but the box, helmet and tools added another 10 lbs or so. So I don't think a lecci will be under the limit.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

meic wrote:
The rest of it is just a bike.

But normally a heavy one, dont they have some weight restrictions?

Most of the extra weight is in the battery, although some (most?) pedelec manufacturers aren't as careful about weight control as unassisted bike manufacturers...
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Surface transport? It's not something I've tried myself, but I understand cargo vessels take passengers. I can't imagine they'd have a problem with an e-bike. There are still some trans-Atlantic cruises too. Or see if you can get a ride as crew on a yacht. Some will have room for the bike.

All options for the time and cash (except perhaps the last one) rich though.

Send the bike ahead by sea?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Ruadh495 wrote:I understand cargo vessels take passengers.

Far fewer than used to. Insurance, innit. It is not a cheap method of transport, though cheaper per day than going on a luxury cruise. You can find a few websites which list the main options.
irc

Post by irc »

Pete Jack wrote:I had thought of taking the bike without batteries and getting batteries over here but that might get complicated with the airlines: is it an electric bike or not? plus the weight limit on bags is 23 kg (50 lbs) And I may not be able to find replacement batteries. It looks like renting is the way to go. Thanks for your input. :D

Edit. Before today I've had counter staff insist on checking the weight of my boxed bike. It was close: 45 lb. I knew my Trek 520 was a heavy bike, 35 lbs, so I thought I was OK but the box, helmet and tools added another 10 lbs or so. So I don't think a lecci will be under the limit.

You can pay a £65 charge to take bags up to 32kg. Or if the bike is close to the limit carry tools, pedals, saddle, seatpost etc in your suitcase.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/inf ... ht-baggage

I carry my tools, saddle, seatpost, and pedals in my suitcase to ensure my boxed 60cm Long Haul Trucker is well under the 23kg limit.