Edinburgh to Rome

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bri54

Edinburgh to Rome

Post by Bri54 »

Never tried anything like this before, and any advice would be more than welcome. Have done Lejog a few years ago, and want to get back into touring once more. I believe there's a eurovelo route from Rotterdam to Basle . Beyond that , I'm not sure.
This will probably be getting started July 18.
Thanks.
meic

Re: Edinburgh to Rome

Post by meic »

Eurovelo 5 is worth looking into but it doesnt fully exist yet.
Via Romea Francegena
From Canterbury to past Rome (Brindisi) via Calais Lille Brussels, Luxembourg Saltzburg.
Though I can understand it is preferable to cross to the continent as soon as possible.
Yma o Hyd
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Lots of options. Thing to do is decide first where you want to cross the Alps, and find the route that suits. Broadly speaking:

Up the Rhine from Rotterdam, over the Alps by the Gotthard or Simplon pass.

From Calais, passing east of Paris, over the Alps by the Great St Bernard pass (Via Francigena).

From Dieppe or le Havre, passing west of Paris (or possibly through Paris), maybe taking in a bit of the Loire and the Saone/Rhone. Wide choice of routes into Italy – the Lautaret pass, then the Montgenevre or the col de l'Echelle to Turin. Or the col de Larche or col de l'Agnel. Or right down to the Mediterranean and along the coast.

They're all nice, and perfectly doable. Personally I'd choose one of the third options because I like France and dislike Switzerland, and for my money the Rhine's nice but France is nicer. It's a matter of taste.

Once you're in Italy, broadly the choice is between a coastal route, perhaps through Pisa, which is flat (relatively) and well-supplied with campsites, but can feel like a thousand-mile-long beach resort, or an inland route, say via Florence, which will be picturesque but distinctly hilly.
Ray

Post by Ray »

For the first leg you might want to consider riding to Hull (not difficult to stay off very busy roads), then taking the ferry to Zeebrugge. Finding a pleasant route through the south of England to the channel ports would be problematic. I believe there are decent roads down through Belgium, and once you're into France there's lots of choice.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

There are two Dutch route guides to ride to Rome
1 via France: http://www.cyclingeurope.nl/routes/rome/
2 via Germany: http://www.reitsmaroutes.nl/
Both have published gps tracks. The guide books will have a lot of additional information like hotels and campsites.