New Zealand trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pederson

New Zealand trip

Post by Pederson »

Has anyone got any experience of taking a tandem to NZ? If so any information would be helpful. Also any tips when we get there.
i.e.: routes, Accomodation, getting from North to South Island etc.
rualexander

Re: New Zealand trip

Post by rualexander »

Not tandem specific but
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=101015
Various other threads on here about NZ over the years, just do a search for them.
Crossing between islands with a tandem, best bet would be
https://www.interislander.co.nz/
or
http://www.bluebridge.co.nz/?gclid=Cj0K ... AohG8P8HAQ
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I presume you are flying. If so, no different from taking a tandem anywhere. Check with airline before buying ticket. I fly a lot and no problem with solo, but with a tandem I would want everything in writing.

Car ferries go inter island so no problem with bikes.

I'd get a good tourist guidebook for starters. Lonely Planet is OK, but check out others eg Rough Guide.

There used to be 2 little cheap cycle guiddes to N and S islands. Probably worth buying if still available.

Do a search. lots of other info out there, answering tell me all questions is difficult, try to be more specific.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

simonhill wrote:.
There used to be 2 little cheap cycle guiddes to N and S islands. Probably worth buying if still available.

Pedallers' Paradise http://www.paradise-press.co.nz/ppguides.html#ppuk
These have been around for 25 years or longer, not sure how well they are kept up to date though, but the road infrastructure hasn't really changed that much over the years.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The last acquaintances i knew who went tandeming in NZ, hired once they got there.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mjr

Post by mjr »

Other tips: they force helmet use; lots of drivers are really really poor, not expecting any other road users, and the road casualty figures reflect that IIRC. Lovely country, friendly people, shame so many drive badly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mjr wrote:Other tips: they force helmet use; lots of drivers are really really poor, not expecting any other road users, and the road casualty figures reflect that IIRC. Lovely country, friendly people, shame so many drive badly.

Having cycled many thousands of miles in NZ and driven a lot there too, the drivers are not as bad as a lot of people on here make out.
Yes the casualty rate is higher than it is here though.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I always think people should date their experiences.

My first trip was 1992 and I loved it.

My second was 2009 and I saw huge changes.

Unsurprisingly they had become more globalised and lost that charming small town remote feel that I had liked. Biggest change was car type and driving. First time 1100s and Vivas, small cars driven slowly on small roads. Second time, mainly 4x4s or big powerful Aussie style cars. Not enough room on their narrow highways for these and anything else.

I enjoyed my second trip and rode some wonderful and roads eg Forgotten Highway and round the East Cape, but my overall view of NZ is now much less favourable.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

simonhill wrote:I always think people should date their experiences.

My first trip was 1992 and I loved it.

My second was 2009 and I saw huge changes.

Unsurprisingly they had become more globalised and lost that charming small town remote feel that I had liked. Biggest change was car type and driving. First time 1100s and Vivas, small cars driven slowly on small roads. Second time, mainly 4x4s or big powerful Aussie style cars. Not enough room on their narrow highways for these and anything else.

I enjoyed my second trip and rode some wonderful and roads eg Forgotten Highway and round the East Cape, but my overall view of NZ is now much less favourable.

That's true, my first time was in 1993, but also lived there for 4 years from 98-02 and went back to tour for four months in 2008, and yes the country changed a lot in that time.
There are still many great roads for cycling and most busier roads have wide surfaced shoulders, just watch out for the shoulder disappearing at one lane bridges.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:I always think people should date their experiences.

Sorry. I think I was there late 2010. I was a passenger for the length of the north island, walked around in a few towns and cities on the north, drove a bit and cycled a bit on the north end of the south island. Lovely people but some really poor driving on display. On the south, it seems like people get used to rural roads being quiet and start taking chances with speed and not preparing to stop onto single-track bridges or at junctions :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
IanA

Post by IanA »

We were there with a tandem for about ten weeks but about 15 years ago, so some info will need checking/updating.

Getting the tandem to New Zealand is no different from flying anywhere else, although they do like to see a clean bike, and particularly tyres!

Would concur with comments above re general guide books and even if the Pedallers' Paradise guides have not been updated the roads will not have changed much so probably worth trying to get hold of copies. There must also be lots of info and ideas on sites like CGOAB. The landscape of the south is much more dramatic and conducive to a 'complete tour'. The north less so with busier roads and interest more confined to particular areas - more suited to smaller 'tours' and then moving area by other transport perhaps. Possible routes would very much depend on how long you have got.

Re drivers, the main problem we encountered were coaches and logging trucks in the south. Take care on the main tourist coach routes and main forestry areas - I made the decision to escape into the ditch on a couple of occasions when logging trucks passed. One other UK couple we met on a tandem gave up cycling because they felt too intimidated, but that may be just down to personal experience.

Main difference of a tandem over solo bikes is for moving around on other transport. We used the trains from Aukland to Christchurch and then elsewhere in the north, no problem with the tandem but they were pretty decrepit 15 years ago and I believe there have been further cuts of passenger services. We used a bus/coach service on one occasion to move areas in the North. They indicated they would accept solo bikes but the tandem was a bit of a lottery, dependent on the driver on the day, space etc. The tandem fitted into the luggage space and we found the driver helpful and accommodating, main consideration being protecting other luggage from getting dirty/oily. Inter island ferries no problem with the tandem, just like cross channel ferries in the UK. Also had a one way hire of a small estate car which just fitted the tandem on one occasion.

We didn't camp but stayed in a lot of cabins on campsites which generally worked out cheaper, and from some other cyclists reports generally more pleasant, than some hostel accommodation. For cabins you could either use your own sleeping bags or hire sheets/quilts etc although some came with blankets and we used our own sheet sleeping bag. Some campsite chains did a loyalty card which gave a reasonable discount. Also some motels and B&Bs depending on what was available. We generally didn't book ahead at the beginning of the trip but started to in some more remote or busier areas, e.g. South west coast, where accommodation could be limited. Availability of accomodation will depend a lot on when your are visiting in relation to their school/seasonal holidays.

Have a good trip.
richnomad

Post by richnomad »

We toured on solo bikes in Feb and March 2015 and 2016 (about five weeks each time) in the South Island. Generally we found the roads quiet and the drivers courteous. Only exceptions were the main state highways (eg SH1, SH6 and SH8) which are narrow by UK standards for trunk roads and carry a fair amount of tourist traffic.
We stayed mostly in campsites, cabins and youth hostels. We really liked the most basic campsites provided by the Department of Conservation which are often situated in the most beautiful spots but the commercial sites were good too, nearly all having well equipped campers kitchens. Nearly all towns have helpful tourist offices called 'i-sites' which have lots of free guides (e.g. DoC camping guide, YHA guide)
For maps we used a smartphone app called ViewRanger which enables you to buy very cheaply individual 'tiles' of the NZ Topo Maps (roughly equivalent to our OS 1:50,000). Once downloaded they are stored in the smartphone's own memory so don't need internet access to use while touring. This scale gives you access to roads and tracks less travelled. We toured with 1.75" and 2" width tyres which allowed us to use NZ's extensive network of gravel roads.Also some of the longer purpose designed trails are best tackled with fatter tyres e.g. the Central Otago Rail Trail and the Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail.
All in all a great place to tour. Fantastic native trees and wildlife especially along the coast (penguins, sea lions, dolphins). The people were nearly all welcoming and friendly. Only downsides for us were occasional strong gales and, if you camp, the pesky sandflies which seem innocuous when they bite but the bites itch like mad! We stayed away from the West Coast because of its sandfly reputation.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

richnomad wrote:We stayed away from the West Coast because of its sandfly reputation.

You missed one of the best parts of New Zealand then, with one of the quietest and most scenic State Highways.
The sandflies are not that bad, nothing compared to Scottish midgies anyway.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Great comments and advice from the above posters :)

I'm a Kiwi and have just cycle toured 7000kms here in NZ - both islands, top to tail and everywhere in between.

Left for the South Island on Sept 13th and returned home in the North on Monday just gone - yeah, I'm tired but very content!!
It's been amazing to see my own country from the seat of a Bicycle - the pace is just perfect.

Ask more specific questions, and you'll get more specific answers....how long have you got in NZ...what would you like to see and do here....what interests you??
Camping or what??

I have to agree that the driving and the driving culture in NZ is just completely whacked....I never thought it was that bad until this last trip!!
Poor road conditions and the lack of a shoulder to ride on can make for an interesting experience.....the narrowing of the road (single and double lane) before bridges is a real PIA....at times you have to pull over and wait for the all clear.
Yes, you need to wear a helmet, although the German guy i met in the South Island who didn't really give a damn was riding without one quite successfully.

If you're flying into Auckland, they have a bike work station outside its arrivals lounge making it is easy to access everything you need to put your bike together. For those who want to leave their bikes at the airport, there are bicycle racks at both the international and domestic terminals. The local cycling advocacy group has also put together a nice route in and out of the city, which you can find here :-
https://www.bikeauckland.org.nz/maps-rides/cycle-maps/

Let me know if you need advice on getting in and out of Auckland hassle free, either heading North or South.

Months ago when I was planning my trip, I found this site very helpful - http://www.cycletour.org.nz/rides/map.html

I saw hardly any Cycle Tourers in the South Island.....mainly because it was spring, but actually still bloody winter....snow / rain / wind!
In the North, i was seeing / chatting with 3-4 per day which was great!! A couple on Tandems :)

Agree with above - the West Coast can be a bit wild, but the ride up from Haast is fantastic....yes we have Mozzies and Sandflies...accept it and come prepared with repellant if you're worried.....I didn't have any the entire trip and was never really bothered.
The sun is harsh, cover up and wear sun block!!!

Happy to answer any other NZ specific questions you may have.
Cheers.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Also check the effect of the Kaikoura Earthquake - a lot of the roads on the East coast are impassable or severely damaged.