Indexing 12-36 10 speed with deore mech

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wicki

Indexing 12-36 10 speed with deore mech

Post by wicki »

Can any one advise me what may be causing my indexing problem.

I have a EBC country traveller frame which i believe is a rebadged Dawes Vantage alloy frame,
Flat bar Tiagra 10 speed shifters 4600-4603
SRAM 12-36 cassette
Shimano Deore M591 rear mech long cage
Tiagra triple chain set
Tiagra 10 speed chain

The gears index nicely for the first 7 but the 3 largest cogs skip, if I use the barrel adjuster I can get the last 3 cogs to behave but then the small cogs won't shift correctly the deore mech is rated to 34 teeth.the "B" screw is all the way in.

I have replaced cables none of the parts are worn out indeed all are just a few months old.

Its driving me nutz.
Last edited by wicki on 29 Nov 2016, 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
m-gineering

Re: Indexing 12-36 10 speed with deore mech

Post by m-gineering »

My guess is that your Tiagra shifters are 4703's. In their infinite wisdom Shimano has changed the cablepullfor 2016 10sp Tiagra, and the only indication of this is 'new cable pitch' in tiny font in the description of the RD in the dealer manual. I can only guess how many days mechanics have wasted and will continue to waste world wide with this prank ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
wicki

Post by wicki »

No my shifters are the older 4600-4603
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

If the B screw is all the way in the derailleur will probably shift very slow when the upper pulley is too far away from the cassette. But check that you've attached the cable correctly, there is a groove in the body underneath the clampbolt where the cable goes. Another thing which will have the derailleur go haywire is a bent hanger, check that it is square to the wheel
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
wicki

Post by wicki »

Hi and thaks Marten
sourced and fitted a new hanger and all is now good; the old hanger had a slight twist and seamed to be made of Brie In 30 years that's the first bent hanger I have had and most of my riding is off road no idea how it got a twist.

Also now thats sorted I have backed off that "b" screw.