Three peaks prep?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
phil parker

Re: Three peaks prep?

Post by phil parker »

HillsAndSpills wrote:You said you had traded out your boots for trail shoes - which shoes were you using (style, model, whatever you can tell me)? Did you come across any difficulty in using them? I was going to take my 2-3 season boots but, if it's feasible, Ultra Raptors would save and lot of weight and packing space.

I can't remember the exact model, but a Salomon similar to Approach/Alp/Mountaineering-quite a sturdy shoe, but still a compromise on a good 3-season boot. Only you will know whether or not you can get away with it;I did, but I was extra careful as I do have susceptible ankles following numerous injuries over the years. I did not have the space for boots, but would have preferred them; my mate took 3-season boots, but he had bigger panniers than me! For me the telescopic walking poles were essential to prevent me from misplacing a foot and causing injury especially without boots.

HillsAndSpills wrote:I hadn't considered Scafell yet, but the Langdale route is almost certainly what we'll go for.

I considered all options and that was by far the best, logistically much easier and you save a day's cycling from any other approach. It is a longer and slightly more challenging walk, perhaps 6 - 8 hours depending upon conditions. Don't be tempted to save time by contouring around Bow Fell and Esk Pike - it is much faster and easier to stick to the path from The Band, over Bow Fell, Esk Pike and on to the huge crossroads that is Esk House and you will probably know the route from there to the top of Sca Fell. I set off early and was back, showered and in the New Dungeon Gill for a pre-meal pint before they'd started serving food!

If you want any information with kit lists, campsites etc. pm me your email address and I'll see if I can find some of my old planning lists on Word - I usually keep them.
HillsAndSpills

Post by HillsAndSpills »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:If your experienced which you are, poles etc won't be needed, to me more a hampering than an aid, that's walking sticks.

I'll probably take a set, to be on the safe side, for my friend. He's not quite so confident as I am!

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Unless...........you are considering this route?
Did it in the mist and I did look at the contour lines, you need your hands with a camping sack :? :lol:
http://tgos.co.uk/news/the-snowdon-horseshoe

We should have our hands free, haha! Careful thought about the route will be very important.
Looking for clubs and buddies in the Leeds and Sheffield areas during term- and holiday-time respectively.
HillsAndSpills

Post by HillsAndSpills »

phil parker wrote:I can't remember the exact model, but a Salomon similar to Approach/Alp/Mountaineering-quite a sturdy shoe, but still a compromise on a good 3-season boot. Only you will know whether or not you can get away with it;I did, but I was extra careful as I do have susceptible ankles following numerous injuries over the years. I did not have the space for boots, but would have preferred them; my mate took 3-season boots, but he had bigger panniers than me! For me the telescopic walking poles were essential to prevent me from misplacing a foot and causing injury especially without boots.

I guess my trail runners might be a fair compromise - they have an incredible sole and will save maybe as much as a kilogram or 5l space in my pack.

I'd be very happy to receive any planning material you have to hand, as you're quite possibly more experienced and thorough than I am. I'll PM you that email shortly. Cheers!
Looking for clubs and buddies in the Leeds and Sheffield areas during term- and holiday-time respectively.