France flu scare

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

France flu scare

Post by mercalia »

if you dont want to get the flu -

" Why is it so bad?

This year’s flu is a virulent strain of the virus type A (H3N2), a cousin of a flu that contributed to 18,000 deaths in France two years ago, public health authorities say. Last year’s outbreak of type B flu was far less deadly."

http://www.thelocal.fr/20170111/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-deadly-flu-epidemic-in-france
landsurfer

Re: Stay away from France

Post by landsurfer »

What's the point ....
There are so many French living here that they have their own MP in the French Parliament.
AND .....
They go home to visit friends and family .. Lots ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

It has also reached epidemic levels in the Netherlands, and I am sure in many other countries. Here too some hospitals have a hard job coping with so many patients, particularly with vulnerable elderly people. France, by the way, has an excellent medical system. Anyway, a cyclist is relatively unlikely to catch it, as you are not in close contact with that many people compared to regular urban life. Moreover, the strain on hospital systems is not so much from fit younger people, but from the elderly.
See here for the situation in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 1_2017.pdf
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

willem jongman wrote:It has also reached epidemic levels in the Netherlands, and I am sure in many other countries. Here too some hospitals have a hard job coping with so many patients, particularly with vulnerable elderly people. France, by the way, has an excellent medical system.

Indeed seeing as it's a virus and will spread anywhere fast, I thought I might pop over to France and catch it there!

It may be preferable to spending hours or days lying on a UK hospital trolley in a corridor with the flu.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

A bit of a non-story as it's unlikely to be a problem if you've had the flu jab, which protects against A/H3N2.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinatio ... ccine.aspx

You've all got the flu jab, right?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

According to France Info the vaccine is likely to be extremely effective this year, since the WHO got its dominant-strains prediction right on the nail last January. We were done in November.

They added that if you do get vaccinated now and catch flu next week all the same, don't blame the vaccine: it takes about two weeks to become effective. And if you meet anyone who won't get vaccinated on principle, give them a good kick in the fallacy.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

I missed the cut off date to get the free over 65 flu vaccine by 2 months. So will give France a miss for the moment. Maybe next year when I am done and dusted. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Off to the tropics soon. Malaria, dengue, typhoid, rabies, snake bites, etc.

Makes France seem quite appealing!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Seems that a lot on here might be eligible for the over 65 free flu jabs. Personally I've yet to experience flu only manflu, although that's been really bad before now! I think I'll take my chances.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 18,000 is about 2 deaths per 10,000 people. I live in a town with about 138,000 people living in it. This means at that rate 30 will die in Lancaster at that rate. I'll risk those odds. Besides it's the elderly, young and infirm. At mid 40s I'm closer to the first of those options but I'm pretty healthy despite that.

One more thing, doesn't the news media come out with these flu scare stories in one form or another every year in winter?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

how does it affect cyclists? well you have to get to France maybe use the trains to get to a target place, shop in the shops - I wouldnt fancy trying to cycle around with a dose of flu under the bonnet? I rarely go to central London where the bugs are but know I will likely get a bad cold if I use the tube :x
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

I think there are bugs outside London. Maybe you need to get out a bit more
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

As someone observed up-thread, there's no point in avoiding France; the flu will be in the UK before long so unless you head for Oz (if they let you in, there's flu en Europe) it's heading for you anyway.
Have we got time for another cuppa?