1st Post! Cycle-Touring Europe... with my Dog :)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: 1st Post! Cycle-Touring Europe... with my Dog :)

Post by Psamathe »

drewesq wrote:....
I have just booked on the Poole to Cherbourg crossing Mid-April. My girlfriend has offered to drive us over, stay the night and drive back! Problem solved.... :)

Now just need to start thinking about front panniers, a rack, a solar panel etc, etc!

I often did the Caen to Portsmouth route (overnight) and although my two dogs were well used to the car and the journey I always used to check on them half way though the voyage. It was some time ago so practices may have changed but when I was doing it Brittany Ferries do lock you out of the car decks (and the dog(s) have to stay in the car). However, (used to be the case) that if you see the Purser (I think) they would take you down and unlock the car deck and allow you in to check on your dog.

I also on one occasion had a bit of an "argument" with the ferry operators/dock staff. As I did longer crossings I would always take the dogs out immediately before driving on to the ferry. On one occasion, when queuing, cars lined-up ready to drive on (but no imminent movement) I got out to take the dogs out and some officious port official started with the "you are not allowed out of your car, anti-terrorism rules, etc". Ended up on board so passed the "problem" of allowing the dogs to go to the toilet to Brittany Ferry on-board staff and they were good and "found an solution". Maybe not so important on a 4 or 5 hour crossing but the ferries themselves have no dog toilet facilities.

Ian
drewesq

Post by drewesq »

Thanks again Ian. I seems BF do allow you do go onto the car deck to see your buddy now-a-days. My crossing will be just over 4 hours, so should be okay I think :)
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Brittany ferries have a few dog friendly cabins.
Jacqueslemac

Post by Jacqueslemac »

mediumbird wrote:Brittany ferries have a few dog friendly cabins.

I've noticed a couple of kennels on the car decks on Brittany Ferries ships too.

I've never heard of dogs not being allowed in national parks in France. Given they're tourist areas and a fair number of tourists visit and walk with their dogs, it would seem a bit self-defeating (not that the French - or any other country come to that - aren't capable of that!). Perhaps dogs not under control and/or on a lead are not permitted.

Signposting for national parks in France isn't as clear as in England. I'm quite sure I've been in and out of a few without even noticing!
Jacqueslemac

Post by Jacqueslemac »

Oh, and wild camping is frowned on in France. On the other hand, there are still plenty of municipal camping sites, so you should be okay if you leave enough time to find one.

The only time I've nearly been caught out was in April when many weren't open.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Dogs and National Parks - no matter how small or on a lead they are banned. Some parks have certain walks that allow dogs but generally - Non!
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...