River Severn - Tow/Cyclepath?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Prodigal

River Severn - Tow/Cyclepath?

Post by Prodigal »

I'm planning a ride from Worcester to the Purton Ships Graveyard at Easter. I've got a route suggestion, but the obvious way would seem to be to cycle along the Severn.

Is there a path along the whole length of the river as far south as Purton/Slimbridge? Is it rideable? Anyone done it?
andrew_s

Re: River Severn - Tow/Cyclepath?

Post by andrew_s »

There's footpath most of the way, but most of it isn't rideable, legally or otherwise.
Frampton to Purton, there's no riverside footpath; nearest is the canal towpath.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Yes, the Severn Way footpath here is very definitely uncyclable - as is usually the case for river navigations. You could do a lot worse than follow NCN 45, which broadly runs along the Severn Valley on country lanes. Watch out for Tewkesbury though - you have the choice of a diversion via the main road bridge, or hoping that the Lower Lode ferry is running on the day you're there...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
700c

Post by 700c »

You can cycle the canal path which would take you all the way from Gloucester Docks to Purton. It's on the river side of the canal, get it up on Google Maps and you will see. It might be very well be muddy at Easter...

In high summer it is easily do-able on this path...
hayers

Post by hayers »

I'd recommend using ncn 45 /41 - they use some towpath (out of gloucester and frampton to slimbridge) and road the rest. I'm always glad to be back on the tarmac - towpath quite doable on 28mm tyres, butbslow going - bumpy and/or muddy. Bits of the non ncn bits have been quite rutted too. Depends how much of a hurry you're in.

Nice part of the world - enjoy!
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Have you been on the cycle travel website....if you enter your start and destination, then it gives you the best route, using quiet lanes/ cycle paths. I tried it from Worcester to Slimbridge and it shows routes 41/45 all the way

http://cycle.travel/map
Prodigal

Post by Prodigal »

Thanks for all the useful advice.
700c

Post by 700c »

We cycled the full length of the canal path from Gloucester Docks to Sharpness Docks on 2nd April.
Was fine all the way, no problem.