trousers for Iceland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DarkNewt

Re: trousers for Iceland

Post by DarkNewt »

phil parker wrote:As well as reading the books - I have attended lectures by both Rob Lilwall and Alistair Humphreys, but the question of clothing-type or keeping warm never really arose? It would be worth checking them out, and others as above, to see what they recommend. I have been at those temperatures on numerous occasions, but not cycling (climbing or walking) ironically, in Iceland as well in February, but it never got that cold.

I would go for a 3-layer system, with a good merino base layer and a down mid trouser (I use PHD down trousers) with a good, robust windproof outer, even a salopette-type - if they will give you enough movement. I have never really sweated much, even with physical exertion, in those temperatures unless it warms up to above about -15 with a really strong sun at altitude.

There is often a big difference between day and night-time temperatures and we were always advised not to work the lungs too hard to avoid bronchial problems. It sounds like a good adventure - good luck!

thats great advice I will add them to the list, part of the fun is reading up on the places you visit and the preparation. I had looked at down trousers and may look again!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Tigerbiten wrote:the British Antarctic Survey, https://www.bas.ac.uk/ , they know about cold weather gear ......... :lol:

BTDTGTTS :D
Ventile is good, but expensive, on which basis I'm led to believe that BAS no longer issue it to all and sundry. If expense isn't an object, you could look at the Hilltrek jacket & trousers. BAS ventile was a very baggy fit.
Single layer is OK for cold, double is for waterproofing.
Is Iceland reliably sub-zero in December? If it's not, Goretex or similar may be better, though not as good when it's properly cold.

Basically, you want a windproof, breathable outer layer, and if you are active, not too much under it, and a fairly loose fit overall.
I'd probably go for a Brynje mesh base layer*, a merino layer, then the windproof/ventile layer, carrying a down jacket for stops, and warm trousers (eg primaloft) maybe for stops, or for camp.

* though the mesh top is good, I'd be less keen on mesh between me and saddle, so go for a merino lower half if they don't do anything with suitable non-mesh panels.

phil parker wrote:we were always advised not to work the lungs too hard to avoid bronchial problems
-20 was OK, but everyone had persistent dry coughs for a couple of weeks after the midwinter streak (400m round the base, -40, starkers except for shoes).
The South Africans up the coast a bit had a similar event, optional in their case, run on the (anticipated) coldest day in much the same temperature, which they did without footwear, leaving the 2 participants in the sick bay for a while with frostbitten toes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When it's -10, I wear one pair of merino long underwear, with thermal tights over them, and one pair of loose thermals. If it was -30, I'd probably wear a down suit.

Frankly, if it was me, I'd probably buy something in Iceland, with their advice. The locals know how to deal with the weather better than anyone. They have the clothes in the shops. Don't plan on cycling very fast, whatever you do. At -10, between clothes and conditions, and I go about half as fast as my normal speed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

More tips here: http://www.shanecycles.com/category/win ... e-touring/
Don't forget it will also be dark for much of the day. I have made a few stopovers there on transatlantic flights in mid winter, and could never see much.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

Vorpal wrote:When it's -10, I wear one pair of merino long underwear, with thermal tights over them, and one pair of loose thermals. If it was -30, I'd probably wear a down suit.

Frankly, if it was me, I'd probably buy something in Iceland, with their advice. The locals know how to deal with the weather better than anyone. They have the clothes in the shops. Don't plan on cycling very fast, whatever you do. At -10, between clothes and conditions, and I go about half as fast as my normal speed.

RE: Speed - i have factored that one in - I am not as time bound on this one as previous tours so I intend to be taking my own sweet time I have factored in 2 weeks of just sittting around in case it is sooo bad I can't move forward etc..
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The air temperature is pretty limited info. A still, sunny day in ambients of -20 you can make do with very little, even if you're not doing much. If you're doing a fair bit you can cut the insulation, if it's not sunny and/or it is windy you will probbaly need to ramp it up. Windproofing is very handy as a consequence, as cycling generates its own wind. As has been noted, breathable is good but it's also the flipside of windproofing... Any waterproof fabric (note that technically Paramo doesn't count) will be less breathable than you really need, and it won't be raining at -20 in all probability so avoid Goretex et al.

I think Vorpal's advice of see what the locals think is sound. If I couldn't ask in adcance and were off to do this I'd wear what I wear for ski touring: soft-shell salopettes.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

pjclinch wrote:The air temperature is pretty limited info. A still, sunny day in ambients of -20 you can make do with very little, even if you're not doing much. If you're doing a fair bit you can cut the insulation, if it's not sunny and/or it is windy you will probbaly need to ramp it up. Windproofing is very handy as a consequence, as cycling generates its own wind. As has been noted, breathable is good but it's also the flipside of windproofing... Any waterproof fabric (note that technically Paramo doesn't count) will be less breathable than you really need, and it won't be raining at -20 in all probability so avoid Goretex et al.

I think Vorpal's advice of see what the locals think is sound. If I couldn't ask in adcance and were off to do this I'd wear what I wear for ski touring: soft-shell salopettes.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

I will be taking a combination of clothing so i can adjust to suit, i have been looking at a pair of soft shell trousers to add in so that's great advice. I have a family member visiting iceland in May and they are going to fact find for me and hopefully put me in touch with a local bike shop etc..

so great advice from you and Vorpal.
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Icelandic weather veers between Arctic and Scottish, as like UK, it depends as much on what weather system blows in as it does on the latitude. Don't assume non-stop deep freeze.

I met a Canadian who had spent a year living in Iceland and he said he found it colder than his hometown (which was regularly sub -20 in the winter ) due to the damp. Like I said can be a bit Scottish.

I don't have any personal recommendations but I do know that the local's top outdoor gear brand is called 66 degrees north.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Swrve winter trousers, cost £110, very nice, i have a pair. Your main problem won't be clothing as you can layer up, and with a thin windproof on the outside you should be fine with lots of wool/fibrepile underneath (fleece is useless at these teps, it's merely a knit of nylon fibres, use wool or fibrepile from eg Buffalo Clothing.) Your main problem will be boots - you need military issue white thick soled boots, eg Sorrell or very similar. These are hard to get, you might have to import from Canada. For sleeping take a thick very expensive down bag with a thermal liner and a bivi bag, and underneath have a layer of acoustalay soundproofing foam (about 2 or 3mm thick) under the tent with a five-season Karrimat inside the tent with a thick Thermarest on top. For stove fuel anything except petrol or coleman fuel is useless. You need gallons of fuel for melting snow/ice for water. You'll need a free-standing tent as the ground will be frozen and too hard to get pegs in. A neoprene facemask and ski goggles for riding. Cut the neoprene facemask so the mouthhole is much bigger or it'll close up with frozen breath, and sew a piece of cloth to the bottom of the ski goggles so it hangs down and stops icy air shooting straight down your throat. Try to book a stay inside a building - two nights at a time to allow a decent snooze in the day and for a washing machine session followed by a tumble drier session. Bread is useless in the cold as it freezes - buy biscuits, and buy sliced cheese. Take a vacuum flask with a wide mouth and prepare lunch while you're in the tent and that'll save you faffing with stove etc in the daytime. Any more questions, PM me.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Emily Chappell rode across Alaska in January 2015. You might get some ideas from her blog, or even by contacting her: I'm sure she wouldn't mind sharing advice.
http://thatemilychappell.com/2015/01/happy-new-year/
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Some food and drink can be kept above freezing by putting it inside your clothes, either next to your skin, or one layer away. In Norway, they sell bags and belts for this purpose. Also, wrap food (especially bread or sandwiches) in baking paper or paper towel (rather than plastic) to prevent condensation. Otherwise, changes in temperature will make your food soggy.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Worth a look at the current road & weather conditions from the Iceland road authority, if you haven't seen it

Currently (20:30) it's above freezing around the south coast - warmer than middle England today :o

http://www.road.is/travel-info/road-conditions-and-weather/south-iceland-road-conditions-map/
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I am in the Arctic next week, and weather depending will be out on a bike.

They stress that there are two modes

Active
Non-Active

You need layers to account for both
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

I presume that you haven't been to Iceland yet ? Me neither, but friends and relatives have, and I have general northern European winter experience. I dress in a mixture of Paramo outer layers and a load of polypropylene fleece inner layers; windproof, water resistant and dries quickly. Goretex doesn't work much at low temperatures.

The Icelandic weather patterns are "polar maritime", not "polar continental", so direct comparisons with Siberia or Alaska don't really fit. It's more like Caithness in a hard winter.

I would want to do some sort of recce trip this winter. Perhaps a cheopo long weekend trip to Rekjavik ? See what it's like in the south of the country and find some locals to advise ? I believe that there are a couple of active cycling clubs in Rekjavik.

If you want a practise run in the UK, I can suggest doing the "Scottish Ski Roads" run between now and the end of March. That is Pitlochry station, A924 and B950, over the Cairnwell to Braemar, then over the Lecht to Tomintoul, then Nethy Bridge, then Sustrans route 7 back to Pitlochry. If conditions get very bad the road squad will shut the snow gates and not let you through.

For my own peace of mind I did a BASP first aid course, which emphasises cold related injuries.

Cheers.