Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
User avatar
sabrutat
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 Jan 2014, 11:23pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby sabrutat » 13 Mar 2014, 11:26am

I doubt it'll break, but likely bend: the old one did, but I was never able to tighten it up beyond finger strength, because the cam in the QR end would slip. Tighter = less bend.

Additionally, with thread running the full length of the skewer, there's actually less structural material now: the skewer is, in essence, thinner. But as long as it's tight enough to prevent the wheel dropping out, I don't think it'll be a problem. I'm heading out again next week, so I'll let you know how things go in the field. I'm just thinking out loud here, but it might be an idea to add a bigger sized washer to the skewer end to give it a 'pad' to sit on against the frame, especially if it's welded or braised to the skewer end. This should lessen bending for the same amount of tightness, I should think.

Obviously the weight of the trailer is a factor here, too. I usually put most of the weight at the front of the trailer to prevent fishtailing down hills, but I might have to consider shifting the weight rearward if things get too bendy or breaky.

mercalia
Posts: 4227
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby mercalia » 13 Mar 2014, 11:54am

well if any one does go down the self made skewer route my way then best take a few extra rods with you just in case. I think also a wise move to put some kind of lasso loop over the ends and tie to the frame incase the skewer breaks so that you dont lose the ends?

User avatar
sabrutat
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 Jan 2014, 11:23pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby sabrutat » 16 Mar 2014, 8:21pm

Well, I got the 5mm rods from ebay, and made a skewer with the two unscrewable ends supplied with the two trailers I've bought. I ground opposite sides of the barrels flat with an angle grinder so they'd accept the small adjustable spanners I take on tour with me, and tightened them up. Solid as a rock, far moreso than the QR factory one I had to deal with on the Scotland tour. I don't think the additional washers are needed.

I also made three 6mm rod replacements for the trailer arm pivot, should it fail (it broke the first time because the entire rig fell over and it took quite a knock: it didn't fail in the middle of normal operation, and I doubt it would).

So I'm pretty much ready to set off down to the Med!

mercalia
Posts: 4227
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby mercalia » 16 Mar 2014, 8:42pm

I dont know if u noticed I put some small nuts on the end of mine to stop the main ends from un screwing. just a precaution. Any way good luck with your tour. hope nothing goes wrong this time. Post some pics when u get back

User avatar
sabrutat
Posts: 104
Joined: 15 Jan 2014, 11:23pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby sabrutat » 17 Mar 2014, 10:46am

I'm going to be gone for a good while, as I'm a writer for a living and can work on the road. You can follow my exploits here http://sabrutat.blogspot.co.uk/.

notlobgp14
Posts: 122
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 9:33am
Location: Leyland Lancashire

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby notlobgp14 » 30 Jun 2014, 8:44am

We have a problem. I own a Thorn Discovery Tandem with a 160mm rear drop out. Due to a friend having his Cannondale Tandem stolen last week we now have to use both of my Tandems for our Atlantic to Med tour in August. Both bikes were going to tow Adventure C1 Trailers but the standard 'long' quick release is not long enough for the Thorn 160mm OLN.

Does anyone know if this item could be stripped down to provide a donor Skewer to fit the Adventure 'Cam End'?

http://www.extrawheel.co.uk/spares-and- ... kewer.html

theDaveB
Posts: 252
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 3:09pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby theDaveB » 29 Jul 2014, 11:08pm

Well think I have ordered one of everything mentioned on this thread, so have spares and more spares.

How is everyone finding the little springy screws that lock the trailer to the skewer ?

My trailer has never fallen off but they don't feel great.

Dave

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 11567
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby Vorpal » 30 Jul 2014, 6:29am

notlobgp14 wrote:We have a problem. I own a Thorn Discovery Tandem with a 160mm rear drop out. Due to a friend having his Cannondale Tandem stolen last week we now have to use both of my Tandems for our Atlantic to Med tour in August. Both bikes were going to tow Adventure C1 Trailers but the standard 'long' quick release is not long enough for the Thorn 160mm OLN.

Does anyone know if this item could be stripped down to provide a donor Skewer to fit the Adventure 'Cam End'?

http://www.extrawheel.co.uk/spares-and- ... kewer.html


I hadn't seen this... I would just call SJS and get a longer QR. They aren't very expensive.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mercalia
Posts: 4227
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby mercalia » 30 Jul 2014, 9:25am

theDaveB wrote:Well think I have ordered one of everything mentioned on this thread, so have spares and more spares.

How is everyone finding the little springy screws that lock the trailer to the skewer ?

My trailer has never fallen off but they don't feel great.

Dave


if u mean this

trailer 003.jpg
trailer 003.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 2904 times


I used locktite to to stop it unwinding from its holder. The spring not convincing

theDaveB
Posts: 252
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 3:09pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby theDaveB » 30 Jul 2014, 11:58am

Yes that is exactly what I mean, thanks will order some locktite.

Can't believe my ukfixing 5M bar arrived this morning. Ordered late yesterday, £1.80 no charge for p&p and it arrived about a hour ago, overnight delivery and was packaged brilliantly.

Waiting for my skewer now but did order the one from Germany so might take a bit longer.

Dave

mercalia
Posts: 4227
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby mercalia » 30 Jul 2014, 2:11pm

theDaveB wrote:Yes that is exactly what I mean, thanks will order some locktite.

Can't believe my ukfixing 5M bar arrived this morning. Ordered late yesterday, £1.80 no charge for p&p and it arrived about a hour ago, overnight delivery and was packaged brilliantly.

Waiting for my skewer now but did order the one from Germany so might take a bit longer.

Dave


You may notice the long bolt nearby. Originaly I changed the bolt as the original was too short, didnt lock into the nut well. Since I was going to replace that bolt I went for a longer one I thought might protect the sprung release bolt a bit as not the kind of thing that can be easily replaced. I have been thinking of tieing a short piece of wire or something over the sprung bolt and secure to the trailer body in case it gets lose and falls off.

By the way the standard skewers u get with these cheapo trailers are a death trap I think - read the whole thread. A few solns have been suggested in this thread.

mercalia
Posts: 4227
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby mercalia » 1 Aug 2014, 10:44pm

seems like those cheapo bobyak lookalikes getting very expensive?

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Foldable-Bicycle-Transportation-Trailer-One-wheel-with-Luggage-Bag-/111233264760?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item19e604ec78

Seems like some very greedy people think they are onto a good thing

by the way the one shown is the one I got for free - it has simple suspension at the back

theDaveB
Posts: 252
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 3:09pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby theDaveB » 1 Aug 2014, 11:18pm


graymee
Posts: 384
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 10:11pm
Location: Witham St Hughs, Lincoln
Contact:

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby graymee » 2 Aug 2014, 1:10pm

I bought a cheapo Bob Yak lookalike several years ago from Edinburgh Bike Coop. I think it was £125 reduced to £99. Good value for money but they discontinued them a couple of years ago. The two shown in the links to Ebay look very similar with the exception of the addition of the red suspension units(?) near the rear wheel. The £250 one is expensive but £901 for the other is really taking the mickey!
Graymee

I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
Image

mercalia
Posts: 4227
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Postby mercalia » 2 Aug 2014, 2:25pm

graymee wrote:I bought a cheapo Bob Yak lookalike several years ago from Edinburgh Bike Coop. I think it was £125 reduced to £99. Good value for money but they discontinued them a couple of years ago. The two shown in the links to Ebay look very similar with the exception of the addition of the red suspension units(?) near the rear wheel. The £250 one is expensive but £901 for the other is really taking the mickey!


even £99 was £40 too much. Until recently they were going for £50+. Mine like the suspension jobby should have cost me £55 incl postage, but I got it for free as the company werent going to get any more, the special QR skewer broke ( could have been very dangerous ), got a complete refund and it wasnt worth their while reclaiming it. The quality of welding on these is totally rubbish - functional but not pretty, I probably could do better, & the paint is very poor? I suspect they are shipped over here as ballast......


Return to “Touring & Expedition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: iviehoff and 3 guests