Touring Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mcallaghan

Touring Wales

Post by mcallaghan »

So I am planning my next tour. Had a successful (relatively) tour of the SW of Ireland from Galway down to Sheeps Head and back.
This coming summer I should be able to get at least 2 weeks off from work so am thinking of heading to Wales.

Idea is to fly into Cardiff, take a day to adjust to the 7-hour difference, and the get to riding. Probably 50 miles a day. Just wondering best route to take. Lon las cymru? Or up the coast? Enough time to a loop and connect them together, start/ending in Cardiff?
geocycle

Re: Touring Wales

Post by geocycle »

mcallaghan wrote:So I am planning my next tour. Had a successful (relatively) tour of the SW of Ireland from Galway down to Sheeps Head and back.
This coming summer I should be able to get at least 2 weeks off from work so am thinking of heading to Wales.

Idea is to fly into Cardiff, take a day to adjust to the 7-hour difference, and the get to riding. Probably 50 miles a day. Just wondering best route to take. Lon las cymru? Or up the coast? Enough time to a loop and connect them together, start/ending in Cardiff?

Lon las Cymru is a fabulous ride with quite a few options. It is about a 4 or 5 day ride with some big hills. If you have a fortnight you have lots of time to do a circular ride including LLC and a big coastal loop.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Thats sorta what I was thinking, though riding up to Holyhead would mean backtracking (either way) if going on to do a Coastal Loop.

I plan on doing around 50miles a day on the trip -fully loaded- if not a little more. Giving myself most of the summer to get in that shape (August/September plan) instead of going in May like I did this past summer.

What is the LLC?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The Celtic Trail is another option, and can also be done with a loop if you take the low route out, come back across the Preselli hills, and then take the high route back as far as Abergavenny, and join the Lon Las Cymru

The Pembroke coast, St Davids and the Preselli hills are all well worth a visit.
meic

Post by meic »

The Neath to Pontypridd part is called the High Level Route 47.
I have enjoyed it a couple of times but on my old fashioned MTB and without luggage, it is classified as MTB only, unlike the rest of the Celtic Trail.
Yma o Hyd
Emyr Parry

Post by Emyr Parry »

Lon Las Cymru, or Route 8 is indeed a fantastic route from North to South Wales, with some excellent sections, taking you through some of the best views Wales has to offer. If you do a search on this forum you will get plenty of info on it.

However, if you have the time, I would very much second Cunoblin's suggestion of the Celtic Trail. As you can see from his map, this goes in an East-West direction in South Wales, through the industrial heartlands and the valleys. The map attached to Cunoblin's post helpfully points out some places that you might like to visit.
I particularly recommend the Folk Museum in St Ffagan's near Cardiff, and Big Pit in Blaenavon. Also the section from Swansea to Cydweli (beyond Llanelli) is in my view as good as it gets for cycle touring.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I have been to Chepstow before (2 summers ago) along with an Abbey near there whose name I forget at this point. I am also trying to figure out where to fly into - Cardiff to me seems the logical place (coming from the US of A). Which brings up logistic nightmares - namely how I get the bike there and how I get my gear there. In Ireland, I took a suitcase that had my gear and panniers, bike pump etc. I was able to leave it and extra clothes I didn't need for the cycling part of the trip with my Aunt. Sadly, no family in Cardiff or Wales so I am thinking a suitcase won't be an option - will have to take the panniers fully packed? Also probably have to ship the bike over ahead of time to get it assembled somewhere locally for my arrival. Would plan on spending a day in Cardiff adjusting to TZ change and all.

Averaging 50 miles a day or so, do you think the LLC and Celtic Trail are both doable? I would like to ride through the Breacon Beacons and Snowdonia and it seems like it would make sense to end back in Cardiff to fly back out.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I live about 9 miles from Chepstow, north past that abbey , at Tintern and then a bit more. Try searching for Bream in the Uk on google maps. Just east of the river Wye.
May be able to help storing something or other.
Great youth hostel in a Norman castle at St Briavels between Tintern and me.
Pm me if you like. Matt
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Tintern Abbey - thats the place I visited, along with Chepstow I think. Was doing it via car at the time, not on the bike.

I don't think I am going that far east of Cardiff. I think the plan will be arrival in Cardiff, train to Fishguard, ride the Celtic Trail to Swansea, then deviate NE towards the LLC. Ride the LLC to Holyhead, train back to Cardiff, fly back to the USA.

Points of conflict:

-Getting from Cardiff Airport to Cardiff City/Accommodation
-Storage of Suitcase (will require return to same Accommodation for last night in Cardiff, same with BikeShop)
-Bike Assembly - need to find a place that can assemble bike same-day (and pack into box same-day for return flight)

Anyone with recommendations or tips?
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

Few pics to wet your appetite
west coast of Wales looking south
west coast of Wales looking south

Barmouth bridge looking south
Barmouth bridge looking south

Snowdonia is always worth a visit
nr Beddgelert on A4085
nr Beddgelert on A4085
kilroya

Post by kilroya »

You could easily knock "bike assembly" on the head if you wanted to.
Between now and the summer, 6 months or so, you can learn how to do this. Online Youtube videos/tutorials are all there. Quiet easy really.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

There is a regular train service from Rhoose station (about a mile from the airport) which goes to Cardiff and Bridgend.

There is also a regular Bus service from the airport to Cardiff city centre which is usually empty :) http://www.cardiff-airport.com/en/conte ... y-bus.html

I live about 10 miles from the airport and could potentially look after a suitcase for you.

I'm a proud local and live in Penarth about 4 miles from Cardiff. I think Cardiff and the immediate area is worth an explore. Some of the beaches between Cardiff and Bridgend are well worth a visiting.

A leisurely ride taking in as much coast as possible from Cardiff could include:
Cardiff barrage
Penarth
[img]http://www.fotothing.com/photos/5ee/5eeeb226844a6558cf52e904776e80ea.jpg
[/img]
Swanbridge/Sully Island
Barry Island (shabby seaside resort)
Cole Knap/Porthkerry park (no pics sorry)
Llantwit Major
Southerndown
Ogmore
Merthy Mawr sand dunes
Porthcawl (great fish and chip stop)
Aberavon (unlovely of architecture but a lovely beach and a great bike path).
The ride on to Swansea is rather unlovely but Briton Ferry bridge is impressive. There is a lovely cycle path right through from Swansea marina (stop at the market for fresh cockles and welsh cakes) and on to the Mumbles and on via the Gower or the cycle path right throught to Pembrey country park/Cefn Sidan Sands.

I would like to do the bits indicated by the OP and I guess ultimately they are more impressive than south east Wales. Parts of the Taff Trail north of Cardiff are beautiful too. I would suggest taking a train to Merthyr Tydfil and cycling north to Brecon. The area around Pontsticill reservoir and on to Talybont on Usk is beautiful (pubs and a bunk house in Talybont).
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

My dad was born and raised in Cardiff but passed away 2 years ago, which is part of the reason I am doing this ride.

Whenever I pack things, they never seem to fit in the same box they came out of. I don't think I'll have a problem assembling my bike but its the fitting it back into the box part that will be a problem - not to mention, where would I store said box?

I'll have to find a place to stay near to where the bus drops me off - carry a bikebox and a suitcase is not easy without a trolley.

I think my plan is to spend 24hrs in Cardiff upon arrival - explore the city, etc. Following day, take a train to Fishguard and get down to St. Davids. Then continue on the Celtic Trail until Swansea, then head off towards Merthyr Tydfil to get onto the LLC.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Lived in Cardiff for 10 years and never actually cycled the taff trail or over the Penarth barrage. Seeing this thread really makes me want to cycle the LLC. I think it'll be my next tour. :)

also, Candlestone/Merthyr Mawr is awesome.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I'm going end aug/beg september - people are free to join me :)

Probably end up flying in on that last weekend of August.