Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gloomyandy

Re: New Route Planner

Post by gloomyandy »

I do like this planner. I've now used it to plan and follow a number of routes and it has worked really well. One thing that I'd love to see is some sort of autopan when you are dragging a via point. At the moment you have to adjust the zoom to make sure both current an new points are visible.

As I mentioned before I still find on a Garmin Edge 520 that the turn notifications appear just after you have made the turn. It would be great if it was possible to adjust when they appear.

Thanks for the great work!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Ok, you persuaded me. :) I've just added the ability to announce turns in advance when exporting a GPX route or a TCX file. Just tick the box and enter the number of metres in advance you want.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 16.32.53.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 16.32.53.png (58.49 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Brilliant! Will try out the new option as soon as I get chance!

Many thanks!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Hi Richard.

Ive previously used your planner for a 1500 mile tour around Europe.

I'm planning a tour for next month down to the Med. Does your planner have the ability to reduce down the number of track points for each segment? My Garmin etrex Legend will only do a maximum of 250 trackpoints at a time.

For my previous tour I used your planner, saved the GPX then downloaded it to bikehike (which has a reducer ) then downloaded it to the Garmin.

cheers
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Hello Richard (Fairhurst):

Could you add a read-only checkbox to the map page: that way I could scroll about a route without accidently adding waypoints and then needing to undo them.

Thanks.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Richard Fairhurst

Ticking off a few things on cycle.travel at the moment and I've just added something I've wanted to do for ages: the elevation chart now updates 'live' as you drag the route around. So if you're tweaking the route to avoid a particular hill, then you can see what effect it'll have.
PH

Post by PH »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Ticking off a few things on cycle.travel at the moment and I've just added something I've wanted to do for ages: the elevation chart now updates 'live' as you drag the route around. So if you're tweaking the route to avoid a particular hill, then you can see what effect it'll have.

Great stuff, though I'm glad to see it works both ways and you can find the hill as well as avoid it :wink:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

PH wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:Ticking off a few things on cycle.travel at the moment and I've just added something I've wanted to do for ages: the elevation chart now updates 'live' as you drag the route around. So if you're tweaking the route to avoid a particular hill, then you can see what effect it'll have.

Great stuff, though I'm glad to see it works both ways and you can find the hill as well as avoid it :wink:

Is there a group for hill addicts? The pain these Somerset lumps cause is hard not to enjoy. Help.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
PH wrote:

Is there a group for hill addicts? The pain these Somerset lumps cause is hard not to enjoy. Help.

There's something pretty close: The Dundry Drubber!
https://dundrydrubber.wordpress.com/the-route/
Richard Fairhurst

Just added something people have been requesting for ages!

You can now upload a GPX track to cycle.travel. It'll appear with the rest of your saved routes. You can then edit it just like any other by dragging the via points around, download a PDF or a turn-by-turn TCX or whatever, see the elevation profile, and so on.

It's quite a complex procedure as it has to work out what the via points will be for your route, and I wanted it to minimise the number of points rather than putting one at every single turn. It doesn't always get it 100% right, but it's close enough that a little editing will get you there. It works best on the sort of route that cycle.travel would plan itself - uploading a GPX track of a motorway journey is a really good way to get it to foul up. ;)

To use it, click 'My bike', then 'Journeys', then 'Upload' - you'll need to be logged in. (Or go to http://cycle.travel/user/upload_route .)

Still very much an experimental feature but I hope it's useful.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Sounds good. Oh and something I've been meaning to report for a while. I've not had any luck using the announce turns X distance early feature. I've tried it a few times but the announcement (on a Garmin edge 520) always seems to be at the same point (typically on my edge just after the turn!). It's not a big deal but I thought I should let you know. Does that feature work for others? I'm using a TCX file if that makes any difference.
Richard Fairhurst

I just got an Edge Touring for Christmas so I'll have a play next time I'm out and let you know!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Thanks!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This sounds like an excellent facility. It will be very useful for eg audaxers who download routes from aukweb or those of us who get routes in gpx form from mates. The lack of this has been one of the very few things where cycle.travel has been missing out to eg bikehike or ridewithgps.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Is there any way to limit the place name suggestions to the country I'm currently looking at, or make it default to them if I've already entered a start point? Or even the continent? Or order the suggestions by population? If it tries to plan a route from London, Ontario again, I may go nuts.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.