Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Gearoidmuar
Posts: 2095
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 7:35pm
Location: Cork, Ireland. Corcaigh, Éire má tá Gaeilge agat.

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Gearoidmuar » 6 Jun 2014, 7:34am

For approaching six months I've been on a 50g max Low Carb high Fat diet so my preferences are changed.

I used to have a small fry in the morning with lots of toast and cereal and then lunch and dinner. Few snacks.

Now, when touring, a large fry, avoiding starch like potato etc. Two eggs, two sausages, three rashers, a piece of black pudding and a fried tomato. No bread at all.

Dinner, no starch.

Middle of the day or when hungry on the road, chorizo and/or sliced cheese, preferably cheddar and water.

That's it.

Incidentally, I lost 8lb doing Lejog with CTC on that, recently. Wasn't hungry. Chorizo is great stuff. A Chorizo ring costs about 2 quid and Spar, Tesco etc. all have them and it's very widely available. Cheese is everywhere.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 35900
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Mick F » 6 Jun 2014, 3:12pm

90miles yesterday.

Two mugs of tea, three rashers of fried streaky bacon and a fried egg plus two rounds of buttered toast, washed down with another mug of tea.

Off and away into the morning sunshine at 08:15.

Fifty miles later - non-stop. At 12:00 I pulled into lay-by on the A39 at a burger van and had a huge cheese burger and onions, plus a mug of tea.
Forty miles later at 15:10, I popped into the local boozer and downed three pints of Otter Amber, then cycled the half mile home.

I'd left with a 500ml bottle of water (and nothing else) and drank half of it during the ride. When I got home, I poured the other half down the sink.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 4968
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby mjr » 6 Jun 2014, 6:15pm

I don't know if this is still current but you might want to go easy on the chorizo: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... essed-meat - I didn't find it on NHS.uk, but the heart foundations still seem to be advising caution on cured meat.

Most things in moderation...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Italia50
Posts: 109
Joined: 1 Jun 2014, 10:05am

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Italia50 » 6 Jun 2014, 8:16pm

Milky way bar x2. And sometimes real lemon juice mixed with water, zzzzing!!!

Slowroad
Posts: 481
Joined: 28 Jun 2008, 9:58pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Slowroad » 7 Jun 2014, 5:46pm

The water bottles filled with ambrosia rice pudding reminded me of what kept me going one hot day last year in The Netherlands - I bought a carton of what I thought was chocolate milk-shake but it turned out to be chocolate-flavoured custard! Kept me wheels turning all day that did...

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 3365
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Audax67 » 7 Jun 2014, 5:56pm

Mini salami & crystallized ginger in the HB bag, banana/chocolate and salami/cheese sannies in the saddlebag. And to hell with the heart foundation, if you're on an Audax you can eat anything you (oh what a rude word) well like.

Am currently investigating Ovaltine as a recovery drink: sugar, protein, milk fats - what else do you need? Oh, salt. Well, feel free...
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Gearoidmuar
Posts: 2095
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 7:35pm
Location: Cork, Ireland. Corcaigh, Éire má tá Gaeilge agat.

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Gearoidmuar » 8 Jun 2014, 6:04am

mjr wrote:I don't know if this is still current but you might want to go easy on the chorizo: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... essed-meat - I didn't find it on NHS.uk, but the heart foundations still seem to be advising caution on cured meat.

Most things in moderation...


These are "association studies". Association studies are notoriously unreliable. About 85% of the conclusions turn out to be false in the longterm. What an association study is is the attempted statistical linking of something like a food or a habit with a result. A good example is smoking with lung cancer. That turned out to be correct. Another example is coffee with cancer of the pancreas. This turned out to be false. The confounding factor was that smokers drink a lot more coffee than non-smokers.. and so on.

Psamathe
Posts: 4535
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Psamathe » 8 Jun 2014, 9:39am

Gearoidmuar wrote:These are "association studies". Association studies are notoriously unreliable. About 85% of the conclusions turn out to be false in the longterm. What an association study is is the attempted statistical linking of something like a food or a habit with a result. A good example is smoking with lung cancer. That turned out to be correct. Another example is coffee with cancer of the pancreas. This turned out to be false. The confounding factor was that smokers drink a lot more coffee than non-smokers.. and so on.

Totally off-topic (sorry) but I have thought that the same applies to the quite a lot of the "statistics" surrounding the wearing of safety gear whilst cycling (helmets and hi-vis). There seem so many variables in a continually changing situation (road safety wise) and little detailed analysis to prove a causal relationship (either way).

Not trying to stir-up a helmet/hi-vis debate here (as I am neutral/uncertain/etc.)

Ian

Gearoidmuar
Posts: 2095
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 7:35pm
Location: Cork, Ireland. Corcaigh, Éire má tá Gaeilge agat.

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Gearoidmuar » 8 Jun 2014, 8:07pm

Psamathe wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:These are "association studies". Association studies are notoriously unreliable. About 85% of the conclusions turn out to be false in the longterm. What an association study is is the attempted statistical linking of something like a food or a habit with a result. A good example is smoking with lung cancer. That turned out to be correct. Another example is coffee with cancer of the pancreas. This turned out to be false. The confounding factor was that smokers drink a lot more coffee than non-smokers.. and so on.

Totally off-topic (sorry) but I have thought that the same applies to the quite a lot of the "statistics" surrounding the wearing of safety gear whilst cycling (helmets and hi-vis). There seem so many variables in a continually changing situation (road safety wise) and little detailed analysis to prove a causal relationship (either way).

Not trying to stir-up a helmet/hi-vis debate here (as I am neutral/uncertain/etc.)

Ian


I can't disagree!

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 5794
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Cunobelin » 8 Jun 2014, 8:21pm

How on earth did this thread get to three pages?

Image



End of debate!

Slowroad
Posts: 481
Joined: 28 Jun 2008, 9:58pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby Slowroad » 9 Jun 2014, 6:22pm

Nah. Soreen makes my teeth hurt.
:-)

paultheagle
Posts: 38
Joined: 1 Apr 2011, 2:35pm

Re: Best/favourite snacks for on the bike

Postby paultheagle » 18 Jun 2014, 11:35am

hi everyone

a big thank you to all your replies.

i thought long about the responses and went for some granola bars (almond/chocolate) that were on sale at my local waitrose. i chose them because i could pack a few into the sides of my seat bag as well as my bar bag (they got a bit squashed but perfectly edible) - these and my 1.5 litre water bottle (along with the odd espresso stop) kept me "bonk" free :D

5 days and 250 + miles later, i'm back from the Netherlands and had a lovely time on my first euro trip.


Return to “Touring & Expedition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Neilo and 10 guests