Reelights (edited)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
mill4six

Reelights (edited)

Post by mill4six »

I bought a set of these on special offer for my son's paper round bike. I wanted him to have good lights but didn't want to have to worry about him replacing batteries or recharging so this was a fit and forget solution. I couldn't stretch to a hub dynamo but I found a Reelight setup for about £50 with a solid front lamp and flashing rear. I passed him in the car this morning and they're good and bright. I saw him in fog from way off and the front is easily enough to light your way on unlit roads at 10mph, although maybe not 20. There are 3 big magnets which clamp onto the spokes in the rear wheel and a generator coil on the chainstay. This is held on with a jubilee clip arrangement which works but isn't pretty. Overall I'm impressed and the bonus is that the system can easily be transplanted onto any bike with other wheel sizes. I have a Son hub on my commuter and I'm not about to swap but I'm pretty pleased with it so far.
Last edited by mill4six on 23 Dec 2016, 10:43am, edited 2 times in total.
RickH

Re: Magnic lights

Post by RickH »

What you are describing are almost certainly NOT Magnic Lights!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
millimole

Post by millimole »

They sound very much like Reelights.
I have them on my utility bike and am heartily impressed with them.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

My bad !!! Edited. :oops:
De Sisti

Re: Reelights (edited)

Post by De Sisti »

mill4six wrote:... for my son's paper round bike. I couldn't stretch to a hub dynamo
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Reelights look good. One criticism is the low mounting of the lights (at axle level) - would it not be possible to fix the rear light on the seatstay )or indeed rack if rigid enough) and still be able to get within the range of magnets attached to the wheel? and thus higher from the ground.
millimole

Post by millimole »

fastpedaller wrote:Reelights look good. One criticism is the low mounting of the lights (at axle level) - would it not be possible to fix the rear light on the seatstay )or indeed rack if rigid enough) and still be able to get within the range of magnets attached to the wheel? and thus higher from the ground.

My Reelights - which are a later version - have the electro-gubbins on the fork / seatstay with a wire to the light(s). The lights are in a conventional position. (This was not the case with the early version which had fixed lights at axle level)
The valid criticisms are weight of the combined system, and the somewhat feeble output of the lights, which are definitely only 'to be seen' lights due to their excellent optics. You wouldn't want to use them on a dark country lane!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my brain to my iPad using my fingers and Tapatalk
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider