Is wind really an issue?!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mgw1

Is wind really an issue?!

Post by mgw1 »

Hi all, comments on wind direction in deciding Lejog or Jogle seem to vary. I have tried to look on various weather average websites which are not conclusive other than suggesting the Cornwall/Devon section being a pretty dominant south west average. I had initially plumped for Jogle this Sept but now have to delay my start until next spring so am now wondering again if Lejog would be better. Travel to and from start and finish is a factor as many say but for me a dominant wind direction is the biggest factor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Paulatic

Re: Is wind really an issue?!

Post by Paulatic »

mgw1 wrote:Hi all, comments on wind direction in deciding Lejog or Jogle seem to vary. I have tried to look on various weather average websites which are not conclusive other than suggesting the Cornwall/Devon section being a pretty dominant south west average. I had initially plumped for Jogle this Sept but now have to delay my start until next spring so am now wondering again if Lejog would be better. Travel to and from start and finish is a factor as many say but for me a dominant wind direction is the biggest factor. Any thoughts? Thanks.

If this year is anything to go by JOGLE would have been the best option for May and June. Met a group of LEJOGs back at the end of May and the head wind so strong they'd averaged 6 mph from Carlisle.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Wind can certainly make a big difference to journey times and determine if the experience is a pleasure or a pain.
But don't put too much reliance on prevailing wind records, our weather is just too variable to be able to say with any degree of confidence what it will be up to in any given week next year...
Best to plan for adversity, take adequate clothing layers, set sensible daily mileages - and keep smiling!

We had to abandon our last training ride because of very strong winds and rain(my son actually started to become hypothermic). When we flew north it rained as we set off, it rained when we changed at Edinburgh and the sun greeted us when we landed at Wick. We were then baked all the way to Lands End. Significant quantities of new and expensive foul weather gear never saw the light of day... :cry:
Oh, I meant :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
toontra

Post by toontra »

I have an unproven theory based on several London to Aberdeen rides that before the end of June there is a 50-50 chance of a getting a northerly or southerly wind. As the summer goes on though, predominantly SW winds seem to be in the majority.

Sod's law determines that no matter how much planning you put in you may be unlucky, as for me this year (and the last two years!). The day I set off the wind flipped round to a northerly and stayed that way for the 3 days of my ride. The day after I arrived the wind reverted to a southerly. :evil:
Si

Post by Si »

+1 troontra

If you want dry go early, if you want a tail wind go later. If you want to be let down, follow this advice :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Long threads on this subject over the years on here.
I've always said that there isn't a "prevailing wind" in this fair country of ours.
Yes, there's seasons and winds to go with them, but we've had a northerly airflow here for the past few weeks.

I remember coming over Drumochter Pass some years back. Wind with me gong up, and against me going down the other side .............. or was it the other way round? ................ I forget now. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
hilloverthehill

Post by hilloverthehill »

I did a Jogle in November last year and had headwinds every day for 23 days, culminating in Storm Clodagh for last day and a half. Grim!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

When we did Jogle in May 2009, we had tailwinds on more than half the days. It started off mixed weather with alternate days of rain and sun and an easterly veering to a south easterly for the first couple of days. Then about a week of westerlies then high pressure moved in and we had north easterly tailwinds for the rest of the ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mgw1

Post by mgw1 »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I have read over some of the older threads during the day too. Thanks Mick F for the prompt. Martin
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Mick F wrote:I remember coming over Drumochter Pass some years back. Wind with me gong up, and against me going down the other side

I had exactly the same three years ago, only in reverse. This served to add extra misery to the climb, but increased elation to the downhill!
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

In a nutshell the wind can affect your progress to a lessor or greater degree. I had mixed conditions for my own JOGLE in early June and broadly speaking the wind was in my favour for the first week and then it was a slight to moderate headwind that was noticeable only once in the south west.
I would say just go for what route suits you best, personally i opted for a JOGLE as my other half was a able to meet me at LE to bring me home. I don't regret my choice at all.