From Bishops Lydeard to Barnstaple

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
DirkKlanker

From Bishops Lydeard to Barnstaple

Post by DirkKlanker »

Hello,

Together with my daughter (33) I (69) will cycling from from Harwich to Lands End.
I have a question about the possible route from Bishops Lydeard to Barnstaple.
We consider two variants:
- B3224 to Simmonsbath, then 277 and NCN 3 to Barton Fleming,
with difficult parts near Elworthy and Exford;
- B3227 to Shillingford, then NCN3 to Barton Fleming,
with after Dulverton a diificult part.
Advices / suggestions about the best route are very welcome.

Thanks for your reaction,
Dirk Klanker
rjb

Re: From Bishops Lydeard to Barnstaple

Post by rjb »

I assume you mean Bratton Fleming.
Both the B3224 & B3227 are quiet roads with not too much traffic.
The B3224 to simonsbath is hillier as it takes you up over exmoor so climbing legs will be stretched but will reward you with superb views in good weather conditions. From simonsbath you could then climb up to Kinsford gate and turn right via moles chamber to fullaford and Bratton Fleming, or via challacombe where you turn left and climb lee ball hill to Bratton Fleming(not as hilly), or go straight on to turn left on to the A399 towards Bratton Fleming (less climbing again).

The B3227 route is not as hilly and would be the one to take if the weather is bad. I would stay on the B3227 to South Molton ( it joins the A361 for a short stretch) before you take the A399 towards Bratton Fleming. (Or if going to Barnstaple you could take the old A361 which goes through Filleigh, Swimbridge and Landkey)

I dont know which route ncn3 follows.

whichever route you take have a good ride.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
DirkKlanker

Post by DirkKlanker »

Thanks for your reaction.

It is possible to take the NCN3-route of Sustrans leaving the B3227 near Brampton via minor roads to Dulverton,
White Post, Sportmans Inn, Kinsford Gate and further to Bratton Fleming.
When you have information about this part, let me know.

Dirk Klanker
rjb

Post by rjb »

Yes thats another option. You will climb up onto exmoor from dulverton but its quite exposed up there so best avoided if weather is not ideal. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

Personally, having ridden across Exmoor (Raleighs Cross, Wheddon Cross, Exford, Simonsbath, Blackmoor Gate and then to Barnstaple) and the B3227 (which was the main road to North Devon from Taunton before the Link Road off the M5 was built- ) in both directions, I'd take the B3227 every time! I like hills, but with a load up the B3224 was a killer (and I have managed Lynmouth to Lynton - up the 30% climb!)
The Bampton road was much nicer and quieter than across the moor, it also didn't seem to take so long and I had no problems with boy racers thinking they were on a rally circuit!

A few weeks ago I took my parents home after they had stayed with us, the Link Road was jammed with holiday traffic so after dropping them in Barnstaple I drove home via Bampton, I didn't meet any real traffic until I got to Wiviliscombe, all the way I was thinking how I would have loved to have been on my bike, the weather was great and the road so peaceful.