Recorded my LEJOG's on Google Earth..great viewing

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Recorded my LEJOG's on Google Earth..great viewing

Post by puffin »

I did LEJOG in 2010, 2013, 2014. 2015 and 2016. I recorded my actual routes on sat navs. Last week I put them all onto Google Earth, colour coded. It is amazing. First off, in 2010 I got a bit lost a few times, so the yellow 2010 route spirals round the outside of the main route like a picture of DNA. I can see Where I lost my wallet in Herefordshire and had to double back (eventually getting a lift in a van from an angel from the local Renault service station) The green 2014 route shows where I got lost in Cheshire and went off NW to Warrington. It also shows where I stopped to talk to a farmer near Hagbeck in Cumbria, he told me about foot and mouth, when I went past this time the farm was up for sale. Zoom in and you find inexplicable little lumps on the route... actually not so inexplicable, usually when I went for a wee. It shows I have stopped at the Co OP in Langholme 5 times and that this time the sat nav sent me round the West of Tebay rather than through it, leaving me screaming Basil Fawlty-like as it dragged me up uneccessary hills . In 2010 it shows me doubling back from Peebles to help a cyclist with a flat tyre (I had met up with his group and he had phoned them). Edinburgh looks like multi coloured spaghetti ... every year I get it wrong. 2014 just North of Edinburgh when I found the cycle path by the A90 closed a local told me I'd have to divert through the "estate"... expecting run down deprived housing I actually encountered sheep and deer, he meant a country estate. 2010 and 2013 into Inverness...on the main dual-carriageway!!! 2014/15/16 much safer on back roads through an industrial estate which the sat nav amazingly pulled off.

After Inverness in 2014 a major miss, going east then north to the Cromarty bridge rather than straight north to it. But into the highlands and less deviations... only one road. But more little lumps each a memory (where my wife met me on 2014, where I stopped -gobsmacked- to admire the highlands, where I sheltered in a vehicle hut on top of the mountain before the cold wet descent in Tomintoul).

Priceless memories!
700c

Re: Recorded my LEJOG's on Google Earth..great viewing

Post by 700c »

Would be cool to see it, do you have a public link ?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Sounds good but how do you put the routes onto Google?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi 700c, dunno how to put google earth stuff up on line, any ideas?

Hi Cycleruk, I save it from my Garmin Edge to Training Centre on my PC. Then I open the activity, and clicking on view, the sub menu gives me an option to view in Google Earth which I take. Then, when leaving Google Earth, GgErth gives me an option to save it to my places. Hope that helps.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi Bonefishblues
Thanks for that but it only seems to let me share it with known people's phones. I'll keep looking.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I was sent some links to some Tour de France style fly-through movies of a London to Paris ride that my nephew recently completed. They were created on this site from Strava data.

Seems pretty simple but doesn't do retrospective rides at present. The only downside that I can see is that you have to sign up to Strava.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

puffin wrote:Hi 700c, dunno how to put google earth stuff up on line, any ideas?

Hi Cycleruk, I save it from my Garmin Edge to Training Centre on my PC. Then I open the activity, and clicking on view, the sub menu gives me an option to view in Google Earth which I take. Then, when leaving Google Earth, GgErth gives me an option to save it to my places. Hope that helps.

Hi Puffin' & Bonefish,
Thank you for the information. I will give it a try.
Cheers.
You'll never know if you don't try it.