Cycling UK (CTC Tours) LEJoGs 2017

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Halchemy

Cycling UK (CTC Tours) LEJoGs 2017

Post by Halchemy »

CTC Tours (which are part of Cycling UK) have spaces on the May and September LEJoG tours. The tours are aimed at those who wish to do it in comfort with a bit of luxury along the way.

Dates are 12-31 May and 1-20 September The itinerary, info and booking forms for May are available at http://www.ctctours.co.uk or http://www.2cycle2.co.uk

The tour uses good quality hotels, including a couple of 4 star establishments and almost all evening meals and breakfasts are included and we bus people back down to Inverness from JoG.

The tours are fully supported with a van to carry your luggage and assist you during the day. Group size is usually around 16 - 18 persons.

The route is very scenic but, as you probably know, hilly. There is no flat route from LE to JoG!

Average distance per day is about 65 miles. Longest day is about 80 miles.

Included in the cost, we loan Garmin GPS units to tour members, who have found these to be the easiest way to navigate.

We have a rest day at Stirling before the Scottish Highlands.

Again full details and the booking forms can be found at http://www.ctctours.co.uk or http://www.2cycle2.co.uk

CTC Tours are open to members of Cycling UK and national organisations that are ECF members.

You do not need to be British or live in the UK to be a member, there will usually be at least one or two visitors from abroad on the ride.
Last edited by Halchemy on 25 Nov 2016, 12:01pm, edited 7 times in total.
Vorpal

Re: Cycling UK (CTC Tours) LEJoGs UPDATE

Post by Vorpal »

This thread has been copied to viewtopic.php?f=45&t=109864&p=1060637#p1060637
for discussion about membership as a requirement, benefits, and the clarification of this requirement upon booking.

Please use this thread only for discussion about the tours advertised.

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Halchemy

Re: Cycling UK (CTC Tours) LEJoGs UPDATE

Post by Halchemy »

Further Update:

At 25th Nov 2016 both tours have about eight places available.
whoof

Re: Cycling UK (CTC Tours) LEJoGs 2017

Post by whoof »

Both tours are £2140.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

whoof wrote:Both tours are £2140.

That is quite good for 8 people (though having never done one maybe I'm not best to judge value). Less than £270 per head.

Ian
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

Not sure whether you are jesting Psamathe - but it's £2140 per person and not for eight people!
Think it would be sold out in minutes if it was that price for a block booking. :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Lilyf wrote:Not sure whether you are jesting Psamathe - but it's £2140 per person and not for eight people!
Think it would be sold out in minutes if it was that price for a block booking. :lol:

Per person. Good grief. I assume you get somebody to do the peddling for you at that price!!!

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:
Lilyf wrote:Not sure whether you are jesting Psamathe - but it's £2140 per person and not for eight people!

Per person. Good grief. I assume you get somebody to do the peddling for you at that price!!!

Ian

I think you need to be a bit realistic. it's advertised as a bit of luxury, good hotels, meals, baggage transfer and works out at about £115 a day.
On my E2E over a decade ago, unsupported and budget B&Bs I still spent about £60 a day. I prefer camping these days and can comfortably tour on £30 a day, but for someone looking for the luxury and support, it looks reasonable to me.
whoof

Post by whoof »

PH wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

I think you need to be a bit realistic. it's advertised as a bit of luxury, good hotels, meals, baggage transfer and works out at about £115 a day.
On my E2E over a decade ago, unsupported and budget B&Bs I still spent about £60 a day. I prefer camping these days and can comfortably tour on £30 a day, but for someone looking for the luxury and support, it looks reasonable to me.

I wasn't making any judgement regarding the price (and to avoid any confusion I'm not implying that someone said I was) just thought that it was an important piece of information omitted from the original post.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I did this in 2012 and would certainly recommend it.