My LEJOG Route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

My LEJOG Route

Post by puffin »

Hi all. I'm too chicken to go out as its icy..so instead I've pulled together the route I gave used when I've cycled LEJOG. On some of the trips I've either got lost or picked a bad bit, but this route is the distillation of my best bits. Does anyone have any thoughts?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18203172
mnichols

Re: My LEJOG Route

Post by mnichols »

I'm just planning my 3rd Lejog. What was your route through Manchester like?

If you go up through Shropshire, is there a good way up through the Peak District and then back to the Lakes?

Also if you stay West to go up to Loch Lomond is there a good route around Glasgow?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

mnichols wrote:I'm just planning my 3rd Lejog. What was your route through Manchester like?

That's about the best I've seen to bypass that awful uban sprawl of Manchester - Warrington - Preston - Blackburn. although from Market Drayton, I'd have cut across to Alsager and up to Holmes Chapel rather than go through Crewe.

mnichols wrote:If you go up through Shropshire, is there a good way up through the Peak District and then back to the Lakes?

You're sort of going too far east to go up through the Peaks unless you then go round the east of Manchester. The best way to get to the Lakes is to follow that route up to Slaidburn but then go to Hornby -> Warton, up through the Yealands to Kendal then either over Shap or Kirkstone depending on your preference. Even then you're only skirting the eastern edge of the Lakes

mnichols wrote:Also if you stay West to go up to Loch Lomond is there a good route around Glasgow?

I've always gone east of Glasgow through Hamilton, Lennoxtown and over Crow Road to Fintry then Callander, Lochearnhead, Crianlarich. You can use the A82 up the weatern side of Loch Lomond but its a VERY busy and quite narrow road, horrible to cycle.
puffin

Post by puffin »

mnichols wrote:I'm just planning my 3rd Lejog. What was your route through Manchester like?

If you go up through Shropshire, is there a good way up through the Peak District and then back to the Lakes?

Also if you stay West to go up to Loch Lomond is there a good route around Glasgow?

Sorry, can't help on anything there..... I only know my route.

What routes have you used for the other two? Any suggestions?

Best wishes.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

puffin wrote:

Sorry, can't help on anything there..... I only know my route.

What routes have you used for the other two? Any suggestions?

Best wishes.

I did a 14 day supported tour, and a 5 day unsupported tour. I'm now planning a 9 day unsupported tour to see the sights. I might try a 4 day after that

The 14 day was a scenic route up through Shropshire, Manchester, Forest of Bowland, Lake District, Gretna, Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Loch Ness, Inverness, Altnaharra

The 5 day was more direct - A30 out of Cornwall, a38 to Bristol, Gloucester, Preston, Wigan (is that the right way round), Lakes, Moffat, Grantown-on-Spey, Edinburgh, Inverness, A9 to JoG

9 days will be a scenic ride.

4 days I'll have to take some distance out the 5 day route - maybe 225 per day?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

rareposter wrote:
I've always gone east of Glasgow through Hamilton, Lennoxtown and over Crow Road to Fintry then Callander, Lochearnhead, Crianlarich. You can use the A82 up the weatern side of Loch Lomond but its a VERY busy and quite narrow road, horrible to cycle.

Yes I've driven that road but don't remember cycling it

I did a supported LEJOG with Peak Tours and we went through Glasgow and then I can't remember the route up to Glencoe, but I do remember it was a nice road and avoided the busy a82. Is that the route that you mention?
heatonrider

Post by heatonrider »

We came up from Whitchurch, Beeston, Tattersall and through to High Lea and then round to Leigh and to Bolton, Horwich, Chorley and then to Preston.
robgul

Post by robgul »

There's loads of stuff about the E2E at http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk - with lots of riders' journals to read and see their routes

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker