Something to look forward to...

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
RodT

Something to look forward to...

Post by RodT »

Major improvements are planned for part of the A30 through Cornwall, the most direct and, unfortunately, most lethal choice of route at the start/end of LEJOG. The section between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross, the only remaining stretch of single carriageway between Exeter and Penzance, is going to be replaced by a dual carriageway. The good news for cyclists is that Highways England are hoping to construct a completely new road, keeping the old A30 for cyclists and local traffic. This will provide a 12-mile relatively traffic-free section linked to the various routes already widely used.
Highways England have presented a series of local consultation meetings at which the needs of cyclists and walkers have been seriously taken into account over such issues as junctions and roundabouts, as well as ways of making viable links between both sides of the A30, which at the moment presents a formidable barrier to cyclists wishing to ride from, say, Truro to St. Agnes.
I have been highly impressed by Highways England's willingness to provide information and to listen to the views of us locals. Their attitude contrasts strongly with the authority responsible for roads other than trunk roads- Cornwall Council. Don't get me started.
Anyway, I should live so long. Work on the new route won't even start until 2020, if all goes well. But it's very encouraging.