HASE Trix

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
nigelnightmare

HASE Trix

Post by nigelnightmare »

hercule

Re: HASE Trix

Post by hercule »

Having closely examined the Hase catalogue before I suspect that the Trix is a Kettwiesel with a 16" front wheel... a quick fork swap and you might have a very capable trike. I don't imagine they would make a different frame for something that is otherwise very similar.

(If anyone's thinking of a punt, you'll need to speak to Hase for a 20" front fork... they use huge diameter head tubes and although I've not taken mine to bits, I suspect there are quite a few non-standard bits and pieces inside)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Spending much time on a Brompton, I don't really see 16" wheels as a problem: entirely likely it would be very capable as-is.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The front wheel is 305mm rim, so rather smaller than a Brompton wheel.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Still only £500 and first bidder.
Less than 20 Hrs to go.
Looks like somebody will get a bargain.

I haven't got the space..... :cry:

......or I'd have a punt myself.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I see it is only one wheel drive - if it had the Hase diff system driving both rear wheels I might have been interested
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Elizabethsdad wrote:I see it is only one wheel drive - if it had the Hase diff system driving both rear wheels I might have been interested

I think the 8 speed internal hub limits the appeal, although an upgrade to an Alfine 11 might be easy, assuming the mid-drive twin sprocket arrangement is transferrable between IGHs.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I thought it would increase the appeal...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I spoke to London Recumbents about fitting an Alfine 11 to my Kettwiesel (too impecunious for a Rohloff). They strongly counselled against, saying that they didn't think the hub was up to the job and might well break. The Alfine 8 has apparently a much sturdier rating. (Indeed, I don't think that Shimano recommend the 11-speed hub for MTB riding, but do recommend the speed.). Although the 8 speed has a limited range compared with a derailleur, in day to day riding I spend most of my time on one ring anyway (11-34 cassette). Plus it's much easier to keep the chain clean, and no lower jockey wheel perilously close to the tarmac and associated debris! A Schlumpf or Patterson up front would usefully extend the gear range.

I also found the performance of my 305-front wheeled BikeE was transformed by upgrading to a 406 wheel (and fork!), hence my earlier comment about the front wheel. The smaller 16" wheel seems noticably stodgier than the usual 349 size wheel on Bromptons, old Moultons and the like.

Thank goodness I'm a long way from Shrewsbury, else I'd be tempted!!!!
syklist

Post by syklist »

hercule wrote:I spoke to London Recumbents about fitting an Alfine 11 to my Kettwiesel (too impecunious for a Rohloff). They strongly counselled against, saying that they didn't think the hub was up to the job and might well break. The Alfine 8 has apparently a much sturdier rating. (Indeed, I don't think that Shimano recommend the 11-speed hub for MTB riding, but do recommend the speed.). Although the 8 speed has a limited range compared with a derailleur, in day to day riding I spend most of my time on one ring anyway (11-34 cassette).

I fitted Nexus 8s to a pair of Bromptons together with 50/34 double at the front. 18.5 to 83 gear inches which is enough for our cycle touring needs. They Nexus 8s seemed to work fine the only minor problem is that the gear changer works the wrong way round (when compared to a Rohloff).

IIRC the range of a Nexus 8 (around 300%) is similar to many derailleur cassettes so combining one with a double or triple chain ring (or a Schlumpf) gives you a similar range of gears as with a full derailleur setup.
So long and thanks for all the fish...