Dynamos

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
bazz

Re: Dynamos

Post by bazz »

firedfromthecircus wrote:Love the Peer Gynt bazz.

Looks like Johnny 5 from the front. :lol:

Did you experiment with different heights for the front lights on the Radius?

Ha! yes, it does a bit :D
I did experiment and had an IQ fly on the front fork crown but found it too low, hence the quill stem in the front head set. This works out to be great compromise between looking daft and giving the best possible light.

I failed to answer Hercule's question about how many lights: yes, I run dual headlights and a rear light with brake light function, I like using the two different headlights as the main light gives daylight running lights and a main beam which switches the intensity depending light conditions, and the secondary headlight is just that.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Hi everyone just to let you know what is happening with my Dynamo and some advice as well. I got in contact with Ptracticle Cycles and they have sourced a Sturmey Archer Dynamo hub brake for me not from the Uk it'll be from Holland I got a good quote for a complete wheel. They are asking me if I want a left or right hub looking on here and the Sturmey Archer web site I thought it was only for the right side. I noticed somebody got two hubs made up so either should be ok? If it would go on either side which side would you choose for one hub. I was given the option to have a solid axle or a quick release. I'm going to choose the solid one so it matches the other side.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd stay solid if that matches.

IIRC they are only built for RH mounting - there are components which could process and write of at least the Dynamo section if installed on the left. OTOH I suggest that this is relatively unlikely, and should be remedied by an appropriate application of a thread locking compound.

My Son is left hand mounted - because? That's where I put it?
It turns out that this was a good decision, since I buckled the RH wheel avoiding a murderous Audi driver. Even aside from that my RH wheel seems to take more abuse than my left (I wonder if I subconsciously protect it?)

I have also used Practical Cycles and was quite happy with their service. A SA manufacturing fault* meant they built the wheel slightly badly dished, but they sent out extra spacers and paid for my lbs to adjust the dishing. That's excellent service IMHO.

*wrong axle assembly meant the axle was 5mm short between lock nuts, so the dish was 2.5mm out IIRC
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Hi just to let everyone know Practical Cycles contacted ICE trikes with a few questions about fitting the hub to one of their trikes. ICE replied that they wouldn't recommend it as the axle is too short to secure it properly. ICE have contacted Sturmey Archer about this and Sturmey Archer are in the process of modifying the hub. So back to looking for something. Nigel
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can you get them to certify it for both sides as well?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Hello again just got an e mail from Practical Cycles. The hub brake/dynamo left and right is the same hub but the brake arm is bolted on to the side you want to use it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Thought they were not left certified due to possible precession of the Dynamo components....
crossy

Post by crossy »

I don,t know but Sturmey Archer only mention the right on their web site?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Thought they were not left certified due to possible precession of the Dynamo components....

that is what I thought too. I have supposed that you could perhaps use threadlock on the parts to secure them if they were used on the other side.

BTW on normal bicycles I've used hub generators and the precession forces are not to be underestimated. I have had hubs where they have made the internals unfeasibly difficult to get out. An internal that was tightened with about 30ftlbs (and came out under similar torque when tested) has needed about 100ftlb to remove later on. There was no sign of corrosion or anything on the screw threads, so it just made itself that tight over time. I have little doubt that if the hub had been fitted the other way round it would have backed out, regardless of how tightly I'd assembled it.

I note with interest that on later models of their basic hub generator, shimano have gone away from having a small aluminium octagonal fitting on the hub to having the most enormous spline that you have ever seen; I estimate that you could use about 500ftlb on that fitting without breaking the spline (although something else would surely break...). I presume that they have had problems too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
crossy

Post by crossy »

It took me a while to figure it out but is ICE's reply to Practical Cycles hope this helps people Nigel

"We have a sample of what I assume is the 130mm axle hub and have been in communication with Sturmey about modifications needed for the hub to fit correctly to our trikes.
The 130mm just goes through the steering but does not leave enough thread for correct attachment of the axle cable exit spacer and the axle nut.
We figured that we could just about secure the hub to the trike but not suitable for retail sale.
We have also fed back information to Sturmey about the threading of the axle which on the sample was done along the complete length of the exposed axle from the inboard hub bearing.
This would mean that the axle is unnecessarily weaker at the highly stressed point of entry into the steering kingpost.
I believe they are modifying the design to correct the axle length and remove the threading to only where it is needed at the axle end.

I do not have any progress or expected supply dates.

So, you may be able to attached the hub but be warned of the limitations at this stage."
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

crossy wrote:It took me a while to figure it out but is ICE's reply to Practical Cycles hope this helps people Nigel

"...We have also fed back information to Sturmey about the threading of the axle which on the sample was done along the complete length of the exposed axle from the inboard hub bearing...."
Nasty :shock:
Thanks for the update - looking forward to SA getting this sorted ;)
"42"
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that the axle is poor and needs modifying is one thing, but that doesn't address the issue of the dynamo guts being likely to come unscrewed from the hubshell if they are fitted the wrong way round vs the threading on the unit. Unless they use Loctite or have a left threaded dynamo assembly, I would suggest that fitting a brake/dyno to the left side would be a bad idea.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or at least until they mak a statement. I'd have thought a pin or peg of some sort could be included
hercule

Post by hercule »

Thanks for your enquiries... I must admit when they first showed signs of being available in Germany I was going to hit the "buy" button and get one built into a wheel. I'm glad I didn't now! One dyno is enough for me anyway, so I'm not worried about left side fitting. Hopefully they will appear in due course as an ICE option.

Mind you, the Velogical dynamo sounds a very realistic alternative if you have the metalwork skills to make a bracket, with a genuine no load when no current is being drawn. You're not thinking of going into the bracket business are you bazz? :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Standard bracket should work fine on the rear of an ICE trike