Two bike setup questions

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Two bike setup questions

Post by belgiangoth »

A couple questions relating to setting up my speedmachine:

1 - extending the boom for a rider with longer legs, anything I should be aware of that isn't already in the manual? To sceal the boom would you recommend wax or grease?

2 - I have hamster bars (Burrows stylee), I thought the idea was to have them right up to your face so that you have aero arms folded in front, but the net tells me that I should look to move the bars as far towards my feet as I can without hitting my knees. What says yous?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
squeaker

Re: Two bike setup questions

Post by squeaker »

Re: 1, just make sure that there's enough boom left in the frame (likely unless you are v. tall or boom"s been cut)

Re: 2, I prefer close to knees, but whatever floats her boat.

HTH
"42"
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

belgiangoth wrote:
2 - I have hamster bars (Burrows stylee), I thought the idea was to have them right up to your face so that you have aero arms folded in front, but the net tells me that I should look to move the bars as far towards my feet as I can without hitting my knees. What says yous?

"The idea" is to have something that allows you to steer your bike to good effect, and while aero is a consideration making sure you can do the going-round-bends thing adequately is the first priority. Play around with the telescoping options and see what suits you best.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mine are far enough away that I can just about read the garmin when mounted at the 'point'.

Lines between my elbows and spine probably subtend about 100-120 degrees - so they aren't beside me, but they aren't completely inside the line of my body either.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Note on extending boom
1- front mech cable is internal, so you need to loosen it to extend
2- try spinning the pedals before retightening
3- for some reason I feel like I want a greater pedal-seat distance than on the df.
4- on checking the df I have a massive pedal-saddle distance, way more than the leg-straight-with-heel-on-pedal. Hope that doesn't mean I'll break in two.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.