Audax

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tilley

Audax

Post by Tilley »

Just signed up to take part in 100K audax near Bristol on a Trice Qnt anyone else participated in a similar event on a trike?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Audax

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yep - done the WWC a couple of times on the Sprint2

Good fun... Expect to have some fun with roadies going down hill ;) I spend a lot of the time with the same couple of groups - them overtaking my uphill and me returning the favour on the way back down...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Naive question if I may - why so fast downhill?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Aero....

I was doing 50mph with a 5' flag cracking in the wind. On part gravel, part grass...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Aero....

belly? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Being developed..
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Hi Bob, I am intrigued, what and where is the WWC?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tilley wrote:Hi Bob, I am intrigued, what and where is the WWC?

Wild Wales Challenge? I've done it a couple of times. Goes up every hill the organisers can fit in. Not the obvious choice in a recumbent.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Or is it the Tasty Cheddar you are doing?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:
Tilley wrote:Hi Bob, I am intrigued, what and where is the WWC?

Wild Wales Challenge? I've done it a couple of times. Goes up every hill the organisers can fit in. Not the obvious choice in a recumbent.

Sorry, yes the Wild Wales.

I am pondering trying it on the RaptoBike. But I think I'd scare myself too much on the descents...

Given that I was doing 40-45 mph skirting the edge of the Cotswolds in torrential rain I don't scare too easily. But that thing runs downhill, the trike hit 50, the Rapto would probably be pushing 70 if I let it...
CW was still pedalling at 57mph, so it's certainly got the legs. I'd have to pop some faster tyres on (planned already, along with brake upgrades)
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Interesting, I don't think the descents on the "Tasty Cheddar" will be quite as extreme. However as I have clocked speeds in excess of 50 mph I am somewhat concerned about the effectiveness of the Sturmley Archer drums fitted to the Trice. They definitely don't feel as positive as the hydraulic discs I had on my mountain bike some 5 years ago, now some of that could just be down to poor memory. However feedback regarding my concerns would be welcomed.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I suspect they'll be fine. At least they don't overheat easily.

If you can let yourself run down the hills then they have less work to do anyway ;)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I suspect they'll be fine. At least they don't overheat easily.
Unless on a velomobile in the Alps or Rockies, so I read :shock:

Back to the OP: yes, done a couple on a Trice T: just find your own pace and enjoy the food stops in you own deck chair :)
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes - but I don't think a UK audax is going to overheat them... We just don't have hills that are long enough or steep enough when in 'audax mode'. Tiger has managed to overheat discs - but that's with rather a significant amount of trailer as well, and a part fairing...

You can always chuck some water over them if they start smoking, at least you can see and reach ;)
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Thanks for all the feedback I'll let you know how it all goes.