Getting used to tiller steering, tips?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Getting used to tiller steering, tips?

Post by belgiangoth »

My speedmachine has a tiller (hamster bars) which I don't find intuitive at all. I am at the stage where I can ride in roughly a straight line, but if I need to turn I am more likely to need an emergency stop and if I loose my line any attempts at correcting just seem to make it worse. It seems like half the time the steering is too twitchy, but then when I try and turn there's a lag before anything happens.
I wonder whether this is just part of me learning to ride a bent or whether it is particular to hamster bars. A long time ago I tried a tadpole trike (uss) which I found really natural to steer. I also tried a lwb with uss, which was impossible to start on but easy to control.
So, is it the bike (learning to ride a bike) or the bars? Any tips/suggestions?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Getting used to tiller steering, tips?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My first two wheel bent was the raptobike low racer.

I just set off down a gentle slope scooting until I got the hang of it... I think that it was absolutely key to relax, have a light touch on the bar and rest into the seat.

Oh, and not to be concerned about the lean angle, I've had the raptobike over 40 degrees (on video footage) from the vertical.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KMason

Post by KMason »

Trick is to relax and have a light touch, also try not to think and just look where you are going. Took me a while to get used to the steering on the fuego compared to crystal orbit.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That is very true - don't look at, or think about, the steering.

Your subconscious is both a faster learner and better at fine control than you are...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

IME hand movement on tadpole bars is much larger than hamster tiller on bikes. Frankie was definitely right RELAX! Grass (for a soft landing), helps too, as does some practice out of the public eye.

Remember that a Speedmachine has a significantly longer wheelbase than most bikes, so the steering response might be considered 'slow' - I recall that Mike Burrows suggested 'wobbling' the bars as you set off to calibrate your feel for the bike.

Are you having problems turning at low speed? A low-ish racer will have a significantly lower roll inertia than something higher, which might be causing some of the panic (stops) if they're at low speed. I've certainly been caught out a few times by this aspect when trying low speed turns on low racers :oops:

HTH
"42"
hercule

Post by hercule »

Light touch and Mike Burrow's famed advice of deliberately wobbling the steering works for me.

Incidentally I find riding on grass much easier (from the point of view of balancing) than riding on tarmac. I can easily do 3 mph across the back garden in a straight line but the same distance on tarmac at that speed has me wobbling all over the place. It's one thing that makes me nervous when encountering steep hills, and of course nerves don't help balancing or steering!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I found an empty car, so I could learn the steering by riding in different directions figure of eight . As has been said look where you want to go.not down at the bar's.
NUKe

Post by pjclinch »

I'm not a fan of tiller bars, but I can do them. On a tiller Speedmachine I never felt quite in charge though absolutely rock-solid on one with the superman bars (both for a few tens of minutes), so it's my reaction to the bars rather than the bike itself.

A day riding on test machines in NL had me on an Optima with hamster bars for quite a long stretch, and it was the case that learning to relax more definitely improved things, just like getting to grips with hill-starts on my USS Streetmachine when I first had it. The Optima didn't get to the point where I was just as happy as I am with Superman or USS, but it was definitely getting there. Exercises in minimal input, like riding with fingertips gently pushing the bars away, seem to help.

The old look where you're going, not at what you're doing adage is good advice for just about any locomotion. As well as tiller bars on 'bents, any cycle steering (I give that tip to nervous Bikeability students learning to ride one-handed quite a lot!), but also skating, skiing, scootering, paddling canoes/kayaks etc. etc.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

pjclinch wrote:.......... Exercises in minimal input, like riding with fingertips gently pushing the bars away, seem to help.
Pete.

I agree, and it's been said a few times above.
When first learning to ride a 'bent (with USS), I found greatest problems at low speed on steep banks. A trick I used was to make a rigid "O" ring with my thumb and index finger and "hold" the bar through that. So, I wasn't actually gripping, but steering with a series of "nudges". Minimal input.

But, I'm not sure how this would work on hamster bars. The principle of minimal input is a good one, but this particular trick probably wouldn't work, just from the geometry of body position to bars.

pjclinch wrote:.................. but also skating, skiing, scootering, paddling canoes/kayaks etc. etc.
Pete.

And don't forget -
- tight rope walking
- slack wire walking
- "home-from-the-pub-after-a-few" walking
:) :)
hercule

Post by hercule »

I've been tempted to swap the tiller bars on my Fuego for superman bars but haven't got round to it so far, largely because of the bother and expense. I'm also concerned about trapping a leg in a tight turn! On the other hand putting wide all rounder bars on my BIkeE completely transformed it (for the better), so maybe I should investigate!

OTOH staying with tillers for the moment the Fuego has pretty wide handlebars but I find it easiest to ride with both hands close to the centre. I'd cut the bars down but the extra width gives a good lateral position for the mirrors! I've noticed that other machines like the Raptobike have extremely narrow bars.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

hercule wrote:I've noticed that other machines like the Raptobike have extremely narrow bars.

IME the Rapto 90 degree bars were very comfortable to use, with a completely natural wrist position (negligible rotation).
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
hercule wrote:I've noticed that other machines like the Raptobike have extremely narrow bars.

IME the Rapto 90 degree bars were very comfortable to use, with a completely natural wrist position (negligible rotation).

Agree - I have a mirror which has a bit of a stalk...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
squeaker wrote:

Agree - I have a mirror which has a bit of a stalk...
So did mine - getting a bit sentimental just looking through the old photos :roll:
Attachments
RapCptSml.jpg
RapCptSml.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mine is less of a stalk, but is bar end mounted
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I don't think I can dispute the fact that the Speedmachine is a little twitchy, my Bacchetta Strada (highracer) is definitely easier for the novice and feels generally more stable. However... if I lost my Speedmachine for any reason I'd buy another tomorrow. Maybe it's all the weight over that little front wheel that makes it twitchy but the comfort, speed into a headwind, bomb proof design etc. make it all worth while. I estimate I've covered nearly 50,000 miles and it's riding as perfectly as ever.

I agree with the advice given so far, let it wobble, hold the bars as lightly as possible, avoid sudden movements. At low speeds on tight bends I un-clip and sit up to scoot or freewheel, or if needing to pedal, apply a little rear brake, it has a magical effect on slow speed stability.

It could be that the extra counter steering required by a recumbent (because you can't easily body-lean into a corner) is confusing your intuitive responses. The first time I tried to turn right against a sharp left hand camber, I couldn't persuade may hands to make the necessary excess left turn counter-steer to tip the bike into the corner and just went straight on! Second/third time I tried it was fine

As further encouragement, I've had a few major high speed slides (gravel or leaves on corners) and whilst scary the bike stayed upright. I've also had a few falls - mostly being stupid (hitting an unseen kerb at a shallow angle, and on ice or muddy cycle paths) and can testify that the seat takes all the punishment (new edging is very cheap!) I have had no more that a few grazes.