When is the general membership going to be told?

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
garagiste

When is the general membership going to be told?

Post by garagiste »

This morning I met with six other members of the CTC. All active and well informed cyclists, none of them was aware of the decision of the Charity Commissioners regarding the application for the CTC to become a charity. When are the general membership going to be informed? Why is it being kept so quiet?
Philip Benstead

Re: When is the general membership going to be told?

Post by Philip Benstead »

I suggest you go here for information

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=59042
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Garagiste,

CTC's application has been approved by the Scottish regulators and CTC is now registered as a charity in Scotland. This means we are already subject to charity regulation and have to act as a charity in everything Cyclists’ Touring Club does.

The Charity Commission for England and Wales didn't approve our application. CTC Council have taken extensive legal advice and consulted with other partners in the voluntary sector. All the advice has consistently said that our application to become a charity is robust, not least because it is already proven in Scotland. We have now submitted an application to the CCEW for a review of their decision. This review should be completed in April.

David
gaz

Post by gaz »

garagiste wrote:This morning I met with six other members of the CTC. All active and well informed cyclists, none of them was aware of the decision of the Charity Commissioners regarding the application for the CTC to become a charity. When are the general membership going to be informed? Why is it being kept so quiet?

Well they could have read it in the Dec/Jan 2011-12 edition of Cycle, page 7.

In England and Wales the Charity Commission have turned down that first application because they have concerns that we will need to address before we can go ahead.

Personally I think Cycle is a perfectly acceptable channel of communication to keep the membership informed.

There is a separate argument being waged about keeping all of Council informed and indeed the level of information provided to the membership, but the fact that the application was not accepted in E&W is no secret.

So I guess they are all active, well informed members of the CTC who choose not to read Cycle. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

I think postmortems are best left till the patient is dead, even if they do look terminally ill.
He said, she said, told you so... it does quickly turn into playground politics. The management have an instruction from the AGM to follow a course, the information in Cycle is that it is still ongoing. Let's wait till the end of that process to see where the club is and where the members want it to go.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

there's a whole thread here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=56857

the news was put on page 7 of Cycle after the ordure had well and truly hit the mechanical extract unit. The text of the letter was kept secret (and from some Councillors), and Phil Benstead got hold of it by submitting an FOI request to the Charity Commission - see here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=59042