Affiliate v Full Membership

Gunfa

Affiliate v Full Membership

Post by Gunfa »

Could someone explain what do full members get from the free legal advice claims service that Associate members are excluded from, does anybody have an answer to this ?

Some posters on cyclechat have accessed Legal Services when only Affiliate Members.
gaz

Re: Affiliate v Full Membership

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

The current CTC website states:
Please note that only full membership provides access to our free legal advise claims service.

From time to time member benefits change, I do not know whether the legal service has ever been a benefit for affiliate members.

Slater and Gordon provide the CTC legal advice claims service, they also provide a service open to all.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Gunfa

Post by Gunfa »

Thanks for the reply Gaz,

I suspect the people with affiliate membership have taken advantage of Slater & Gordons open to all service.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Slater and Gordon are actually 'no win no fee' lawyers. So if there isnt a fee in it you wont get a lot of help. IMO CTC legal advice isnt worth much, you can get this sort of legal advice free outside of the CTC.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

Current edition of Cycle p.12, in an advertorial type column about CTC incident Line states:
100% of damages retained by members
NO DEDUCTION FOR LEGAL COSTS, UNLIKE MOST LAWYERS WHO TAKE UP TO 25% TOWARDS LEGAL FEES

Thirdcrank explains why here.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Gaz is correct. The difference between CTC members accessing the services of CTC incident line provided by Slater & Gordon is that members retain 100% of the damages awarded in successful cases. Affiliate CTC members and members of the public could access Slater & Gordon’s service privately but would only receive 75% of the award.

Average damages awarded on CTC cases is £13,000 so CTC members would retain £3,250 more than an affiliate member. If anyone has any queries then please don’t hesitate to contact me at the CTC office on 01483 238300.

All the best, Matt Mallinder, CTC Membership Director
Graham

Post by Graham »

Seeking clarification please . . . .

thirdcrank wrote: . . . the CTC Accident Line, it offers representation to obtain compo on a "no win, no fee" basis. I think we've established before that the same hopefully high standard of legal service is offered by Slater and Gordon to anybody who approaches them. The benefit to (full) CTC members is that the CTC has a collective conditional fee agreement with this company. No win, no fee normally involves the client paying money upfront to buy after the event (ATE) insurance to provide indemnity against the risk of losing the case and becoming liable for both sides' costs. The CTC's agreement takes care of that on behalf of the member.

Trying to reconcile the above with Matt's statement.
It would seem to imply that ATE insurance premium is equivalent to 25% of the Gross Compo sum. But as the ATE premium is paid BEFORE the sum is determined how can this be true. ???
I don't understand.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I think this may be my mistake :oops: . It's probably nothing to do with the collective conditional fee agreement.

In the world of "no win, no fee" there is something called a "Success Fee". This used to be paid by the loser to the winner in addition to their compensation award and their legal costs.

Not so long ago the legislation changed. "Success Fees", if charged, are now deducted from the compensation, the maximum amount being 25%.

More here

It would seem that if you go through CTC, Slater & Gordon do not deduct a "Success Fee". Perhaps Matt will return to confirm.