CTC CHANGE OF NAME

TonyR

Re: CTC CHANGE OF NAME

Post by TonyR »

Psamathe wrote:
TonyR wrote:
mjr wrote:[quote="TonyR"]mjt said: "The argument is that his passions seem to change depending on what job he's hired for,"
That writes off as cynical careerists all of those of us who have changed jobs in their lifetime. I've done a variety of jobs over the years and enjoyed them all which apparently isn't possbile.

That's going a bit far. I doubt you published statements portraying each job as fulfilling some overriding top priority for you. I certainly didn't as I moved from low-paid factory and retail jobs to education to IT.

I was certainly asked to write a cover letter for most of them saying why I wanted the job and its usually asked as a question at interview. And we're hardly going to say its just another job are we?

Which is where interviewing skills become so important. The interviewer has to be able to find out what the real motive and intent of the applicant is. And there is the aspect of "be careful what you wish for". So a small savings organisation might feel that have managed a real coup if they managed to recruit Sir Fred (with all that banking, "managing change", experience together with a proven track record of fast company growth ...).

Ian[/quote]

Nice attempt to change the subject from what people say about their interest in the job to interviewing. We all say we are interested in the jobs we are applying for and I don't see why you think it so reprehensible that PT should as well. But perhaps you tell all the employers you apply to that you're not really interested but need the work. Sure that will go down real well.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TonyR wrote:
Pasamthe wrote:
TonyR wrote:...
That's going a bit far. I doubt you published statements portraying each job as fulfilling some overriding top priority for you. I certainly didn't as I moved from low-paid factory and retail jobs to education to IT.

I was certainly asked to write a cover letter for most of them saying why I wanted the job and its usually asked as a question at interview. And we're hardly going to say its just another job are we?

Which is where interviewing skills become so important. The interviewer has to be able to find out what the real motive and intent of the applicant is. And there is the aspect of "be careful what you wish for". So a small savings organisation might feel that have managed a real coup if they managed to recruit Sir Fred (with all that banking, "managing change", experience together with a proven track record of fast company growth ...).

Ian

Nice attempt to change the subject from what people say about their interest in the job to interviewing. We all say we are interested in the jobs we are applying for and I don't see why you think it so reprehensible that PT should as well. But perhaps you tell all the employers you apply to that you're not really interested but need the work. Sure that will go down real well.

My point was that it is down to the skills of the interviewer to find out if they are being given BS to get a job offer or if the interest is genuine. And also to find out exactly what the intent of the applicant really is (particularly important when the role has a lot of power and is largely un-supervised). Interviewing is a skill where a lot of people regard it more as just "having a chat" with a applicant. Get it wrong and all sorts of stuff can start going wrong. Too easy to look at a "record" as take it all as experience. However, the interviewer has to establish what that paper record really means. Making change in one organisation can be really straightforward and easy due to the nature of the circumstances so little for the manager to actually do (and no real experience gained or ability demonstrated); whereas a different organisation it might be a real struggle and challenge (due to circumstances) and the manager concerned would learn loads and demonstrate real ability.

Ian
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Psamathe wrote:My point was that it is down to the skills of the interviewer to find out if they are being given BS to get a job offer or if the interest is genuine.

Sure it is but that is nothing to do with the point mjr made that I was replying to.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TonyR wrote:
Psamathe wrote:My point was that it is down to the skills of the interviewer to find out if they are being given BS to get a job offer or if the interest is genuine.

Sure it is but that is nothing to do with the point mjr made that I was replying to.

I was responding the the aspect you raised
TonyR wrote:...

commenting how it is the role of a good interviewer to distinguish between truth, bias, exaggeration and lies about why somebody wants a job and their "interest" and true reasons.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

TonyR wrote:Sure it is but that is nothing to do with the point mjr made that I was replying to.

Sure but that reply itself had little to do with the point I made about publishing claims which seem probably-exaggerated. I've been up front about my reasons for applying for each job I've had... but that's probably part of why I've worked in the same few fields for the last 20 years, only been a manager once and not climbed up to CEO, now working in a collective with no CEO!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MarkGraham

Post by MarkGraham »

Both my parents were members of the CTC over 60 years ago and I was pleased and proud to be a member of the same organisation. I'm very sorry to see the name go, I hope my local group keep it somewhere in their title. I should have sensed the writing was on the wall with the conspicuous absence of the winged wheel. I haven't finally made my mind up but the strong temptation now is not to renew when its due and get third party insurance elsewhere for less money.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MarkGraham wrote:...and get third party insurance elsewhere for less money.

Check your house/contents insurance as most will include 3rd party liability and many (all that I know of) include 3rd party liability whilst you are out cycling. It's only a phone call as, in my experience, the call handlers at companies I've had insurance with seem pretty aware of the terms in this regard.

All the house/contents insurance I've had since starting cycling again have included the 3rd party liability in the policy (i.e. not an "add-on" and not something that costs extra).

Ian
MarkGraham

Post by MarkGraham »

Thanks Ian, I'll do that.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I've just got my latest newsletter from the BMC (British Mountaineering Council, almost as venerable as the CTC). It contains the following choice item:
"Following a strong reaction to our rebranding announcement in July, and after a period of consultation with members, the BMC has now made the decision not to rebrand as Climb Britain". Well, well....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a funny old world.

If I do an internet search on Cycling UK, the top hit is British Cycling and "The Cyclists' champion| Cycling UK" is some way down the list.

If I search for CTC, The Cyclists' champion is the top hit.