Are any CTC Councillors going to Local Group AGMs?

mjr

Are any CTC Councillors going to Local Group AGMs?

Post by mjr »

Philip Benstead afiŝis en Where should CTC be going?.

"I was wondering if any CTC Councillor are going to Local Group AGM’S.
I know they are unable to go all of them, below is a list of CTC Regions
Please indicate if your group has received a visit.
• East of England.
• East Midlands.
• London.
• North East.
• North West.
• South East.
• South West.
• West Midlands.
• Scotland
• Wales
• Ireland /rest of the world"
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Re: Are any CTC Councillors going to Local Group AGMs?

Post by gaz »

Above list of regions is out of date. Since the 2016AGM it reads:
• UK
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tourist

Post by Tourist »

We have 3 new Councillors and due to apathy not one made the effort to turn up at the West Sussex AGM.
greenroad

Post by greenroad »

gaz wrote:Above list of regions is out of date. Since the 2016AGM it reads:
• UK

so all the councillor should go to all the agms then. Remember most of the councillor were voted under the old system.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Most? All of the current serving Councillors were voted on to Council under the old sytem, all of the current serving Councillors represent the current UK electoral region. I'm surprised you didn't know that :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Well i'm off to the inaugural Touring Cyclists Club meeting this Saturday.
Lets see how they do things ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
greenroad

Post by greenroad »

gaz wrote:Most? All of the current serving Councillors were voted on to Council under the old sytem, all of the current serving Councillors represent the current UK electoral region. I'm surprised you didn't know that :wink: .
none of them went to your local group agm, I am surprised you didd not know that
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Our Yorkshire and Humberside councillor - locally nominated and locally elected - attended our AGM. They always have done in the past.

I'm not clear about the future - when the current restructuring is complete, I understand that we'll have no locally elected Councillors, we'll all be asked to choose between the same people we don't know for membership of the board of trustees - isn't that correct? Please put me right someone.

A board of trustees resident in the home counties will clock up quite a bill for expenses for travel, subsistence and lodgings in order for one of them to attend section (sorry - political correctness alarm bells ringing! - don't I mean member groups?) AGMs. Is that why we're being asked to 'gift aid'?
PH

Post by PH »

Our AGM was a couple of weeks ago, not many members attended and no councillors/trustees
It started with a minutes silence in remembrance of two riders we’ve lost over the last year. Sec report on the rides and events, Treasurers report on where the moneys come and gone, appointment of committee with just one change from last year, agreement on the rides we’d include for next years BAR comp, no motions received, a brief discussion on how the name change affects us (Not very much) a little bit of other business and meeting over we went to the bar.
I have no knowledge of what other groups AGMs are like, I suspect not a lot different. I’ve attended every one of ours for at least the last 15 years, plus the local group/section ones before it became informal. In that time I think one DA and one section one has been attended by a councillor. But why would they? The meeting attracted around 2% of the local membership, it didn’t even attract most of the regular riders. It’s some formal business that we’re obliged to go through, the reports are passed on to NO anyway. If any member had any concerns they could have them put on the agenda and they would be discussed, if that were to warrant it we may might ask a trustee to attend. But the most controversial item I remember has been whether to increase the price of our local magazine.
I’m all for better communication between MGs and the national organisation, both trustees and staff. But attendance at the AGM would not IMO go very far in achieving that, I can’t imagine they wouldn’t have anything better to do on a Sunday, like go for a ride. In fact if any trustees or staff did want to get the pulse of a MG they’d be better off joining them at an event or on a ride than attending the AGM, I don’t know if it’s deliberate but I have seen a couple of instances of this recently, though not our MG.
Phillip’s request for this information looks to me like another attempt to find a stick to beat them with, but IMO there’s no stick here.
www.derbyctc.org.uk