Very disappointed with ITV4

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A load of Carp! literally!

The Tour de Yorkshire highlights said yesterday that there would be live coverage of the Women's race from 10am this morning.

But what do ITV4 put on instead? "the Big Fish Off"! :shock:

I'm half expecting this afternoon's coverage to be replaced by "Competitive Watching Paint Dry"!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mike Sales

Re: Very disappointed with ITV4

Post by Mike Sales »

At this moment (11:16) it is even worse: something called The Car Chasers is on.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I heard gary imlach say "oh and we'll be here at 10am tomorrow". I had programmed a series link for all the coverage and when I got up thought hang on its not recording. So I put TV on to check schedule and there was no mention of the womens race, as you say it as the big fish off. My Radio Times has the program listed exactly as imlachs comment. Confusion down the line somewhere. But till something to look forward to later in the day for the main event..... hopefully.

Actually modern publishing seems quick to respond to changes in events etc. I get my RT delivered via royal mail( in a coach and horses ), it duly arrived on tuesday morning this week. Victoria wood had passed away on the previous wednesday and they had changed the cover imagery plus added articles etc to commemorate her work. Thats quite fast turnaround considering the mail would take 2 of those days. They must go to press really late in the day to be able to make last minute changes.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

They're claiming technical issues (in particular, the plane that relays pictures back): http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2016- ... -coverage/
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Apparently its rumoured they've also arrested a disgruntled australian in connection with the planes failure :D .
Si

Post by Si »

No coverage of women's race? Excellent! No, I'm not Shane Sutton in disguise....had to work this morning so was very disgruntled at having missed it, but if it wasn't on then I haven't missed it....cool!
Ljaydee

Post by Ljaydee »

Apparently the plane was on lease from Quantas.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A lot of people were peeved about the lack of coverage and aired their comments on Twitter but I did find a Twitter account to follow that was tweeting the action from the race as it happened. Was looking forward to seeing the highlights of the women's race when I got home from work tonight but it only amounted to 5 minutes at the beginning of the program and as soon as it was over I stopped watching the recording. To be fair it wasn't ITV4's fault as they take the feed from the broadcasters, Eurosport were in the same position too and had motorcycling on so no real difference in Eurosport broadcasting, you sit down to watch one sport only to find the other sport has started early/overrun.
ribblerouser

Post by ribblerouser »

What peeved me was that usually when there is a problem with live race pictures, the programme usually still starts with the presenters in the studio apologising, then showing pre-race interviews, ceremonial start etc, giving us what info they have about what is happening in the race, and then going to some archived footage of cycling.

[emoji86][emoji85][emoji87]
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

For those interested in this sort of thing, here is the offending TV uplink plane(s) up and about today . . . . the other plane you can see (A Socata TB20) was on a similar route and had a French registration, interestingly.

tourdeyorkshire2.jpg

tourdeyorkshire.jpg
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

You think we had it bad watching the 'cycling' on TV saturday, what about the poor guys doing the live TV thing like Ned, Chris and Dave?

https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/ ... 96/photo/1
Si

Post by Si »

Well, Sunday's stage was a bit of a cracker! Might not have had all the big names but was just as enjoyable as many of the Classics.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Actually, the thought of the large crowds in Doncaster watching the two guys carp fishing is very funny!

Other than the obvious issues on Saturday I loved the coverage. Thought we got to see more of Yorkshire than last year. I was at the finish line in settle watching the coverage from inside the Naked Man. The only down side was they cut the big screen coverage for a Yorkshire bank advert during the last km.

Until the tdf in Yorkshire I just didn't get pro cycle racing. I'm still not completely convinced but love the street theatre in the TDY events. The finish yesterday was compelling stuff as well.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Couldn't help but think it was terry christian doing the voiceover for the yorkshire bank sponsorship between ad breaks. Good to hear a lancastrian voiceover for the tour de yorkshire sponsors :) . Geoff Boycott wasn't available.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I live in Scarborough (Hurrrrrrrahhhh)....I was perched on the grass bank overlooking the finish line yesterday. I know very little about Pro Cycling but I know all about having a good time. Great finish and a great atmosphere within the crowd....Loved it.... :D