Tour de France 2016 - SPOILERS

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
reohn2

Re: Tour de France 2016 - SPOILERS

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:Yates has most impressed me as his team doesn't seem to do much in the way that Sky does for Froome.

Yes he's been a man alone mostly,very impressive with a cool head, and still young too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote:May as well post this here as it was previously discussed, Kennaugh has withdrawn from the GB team for Rio and Cummings is replacing him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36838598

Yes saw that,if ever a man deserved a place on the GB squad it's Cummings,especially this season,he's a machine!
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

honesty wrote:Yates has most impressed me as his team doesn't seem to do much in the way that Sky does for Froome.

Indeed, and to be fair to Orica their team isn't built like that (i.e., have and spend more money than anyone else, very specifically targeting Le Tour over everything else and focusing a whole team on supporting one rider). Same for Mollema, with Trek also just not having the spending power even if they had the will to get 8 domestiques to hang on his needs and not bother about anything else.

The Dutch have had two close-but-no-cigars in the last two Grand Tours, with Dumoulin close in the Vuelta (lost red on the penultimate day) and Kruiswijk crashing out of pink a couple of days from the end of the Giro. That both did it with practically no team support (through no real fault of the teams, which were built for different jobs than mountain support for GC) was amazing.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Yates seems to have all the bad luck as well, the banner falling on him and the Ventoux shenanigans too, where I think some riders were given his time, but we'll never know how the stages would have finished. Richie Porte unlucky with the puncture early on then having to spend the rest of the race slowly climbing through the placings. Just wish someone was trying to win it. When Porte and Contador both lost time early on I was hoping for them teaming up and making multiple attacks to try to get the time back early, no one seems to have attacked much. You're losing the race guys, how about trying something new to try to win it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Postboxer wrote: ......... no one seems to have attacked much. You're losing the race guys, how about trying something new to try to win it.

Sky set such a high pace where it matters that no one can attack effectively.Any attack needs such an effort to get off the front it can't be sustained.
It's always been the Sky tactic,buy in the best super domestiques to look after whoever is strongest within the team,set a high tempo then release the leader when needed,it's a slow burn that wears the opposition down.
It's not dynamic racing just good effective tactics.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:The Dutch have had two close-but-no-cigars in the last two Grand Tours, with Dumoulin close in the Vuelta (lost red on the penultimate day) and Kruiswijk crashing out of pink a couple of days from the end of the Giro. That both did it with practically no team support (through no real fault of the teams, which were built for different jobs than mountain support for GC) was amazing.

Pete.

Exactly and I felt for both of them,both are incredibly talented riders,surrounded by the right team both(and Yates) are capable of challenging Froome IMHO.

TBH the Tour is beginning to get boring again,like it did during the Armstrong days.Once one team/rider begins to dominate the spark and dynamism goes out of the race,it's the same in any sport.
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

pjclinch wrote:

Indeed, and to be fair to Orica their team isn't built like that (i.e., have and spend more money than anyone else, very specifically targeting Le Tour over everything else and focusing a whole team on supporting one rider). Same for Mollema, with Trek also just not having the spending power even if they had the will to get 8 domestiques to hang on his needs and not bother about anything else.

And yet, Movistar's budget is only 15% more than Orica's (still under 45% of Sky's) and they can win Grand Tours. I think it's as much about team strategies as budget: Orica and Trek just don't have GC strategies at the minute.

reohn2 wrote:TBH the Tour is beginning to get boring again,like it did during the Armstrong days.Once one team/rider begins to dominate the spark and dynamism goes out of the race,it's the same in any sport.

At least there are still other half-decent prizes to keep up the interest for a while, such as the stage wins, some of the other classifications and the other podium steps... and while I wouldn't wish it on anyone, you never know, one misjudged turn into a crash barrier and the top four could be within 70 seconds of each other.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Bit more like it today, watch the highlights if you missed it.
Si

Post by Si »

Ouch.....that looked very much like my crash last October...except I was going a lot slower and landed with all my weigh on my knee rather than sliding.....watching it made me go all a quiver.

I fear it may be one stage too far for Yates tomorrow, but hope otherwise.

Have to feel sorry for Mollema.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not sure it was necessary to take any risk, when you are so far ahead.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Brought down by a white line. What a numpty. :roll:
Made him work for his money today but still put in more time on the also rans.
At least made for a bit of excitement.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

cycleruk wrote:Brought down by a white line. What a numpty. :roll:
Made him work for his money today but still put in more time on the also rans.
At least made for a bit of excitement.

Was he though? Still upright after crossing the line.

Crossed the line
Crossed the line

I think he locked front wheel as did the rider behind.
Attachments
Slid back to the line
Slid back to the line
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote: ........TBH the Tour is beginning to get boring again,like it did during the Armstrong days.Once one team/rider begins to dominate the spark and dynamism goes out of the race,it's the same in any sport.

I take it all back :roll:
Whaaaat a day! :shock:
W H Auden
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Don't agree with the slingshot penalty. Was not applied on the duaphine, where's the consistency?

Good ride by Yates, he's done well but I don't think he could challenge Froome, even with the right team. He's Bardet standard, which is good but not quite ready yet.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

belgiangoth wrote:Don't agree with the slingshot penalty. Was not applied on the duaphine, where's the consistency?

Good ride by Yates, he's done well but I don't think he could challenge Froome, even with the right team. He's Bardet standard, which is good but not quite ready yet.

At 23 he's incredible.
He's less than 40 seconds from being second overall,without the penalty that'd be less than 30 seconds,and if the air bridge hadn't collapsed?
With three of the best climbers ahead of him,one of which is head and shoulders above the others,and with the strongest and best team in the world around him.
Quintana,who's been lacklustre throughout the race also has a strong team around him which has all gone crock.
Bardet has had team help in the mountains too,and has also had a great tour.
Whereas Yates has been practically alone in the hills and fending for himself,an incredible achievement for such a young rider showing all the skills and strength of a much more mature man.
The potential is incredible and his interview after yesterday's stage showed a much old head than his years,watch the Adam Yates space.
W H Auden