who will ride Vuelta a Espana 2014

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Tonyf33

Re: who will ride Vuelta a Espana 2014

Post by Tonyf33 »

The UCI have made a pigs of ear of it yet again, saying that cyclists can now use aero UCI approved TT bikes but Boardman and Obree's records are now under the catergory of best human effort and thus Boardman's 1996 56.375km effort is not classed as the 'hour record' because his saddle is too far forward and superman position is too stretched out (or some nonsense like that) :roll:

Of recent times, Miguel Indurain & Tony Rominger have held the record, Francesco Moser broke it back in '94 (with a back wheel almost the size of a penny farthing), his and Merkx were both at altitude.
the official hour record is held by Ondřej Sosenka at 49.7km though he has been banned for drugs prior to and after his record breaking attempt :evil:
As far as I'm concerned Boardman's UCI legit effort of 49.4km in 2000 on a wired wheel bike with drop handlebars is the one to beat but again as the UCI have moved the goalposts yet again it should be easy for Jens Voight to beat it (he's having a crack later this year)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well if they took a design from the past and said that is it then you would know what to aim for.
Just like FIFA, UCI seem aloof and self appointing. Putin etc,

Vuelta's ended so talk about what you like :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Cycl ... rnationale

"History[edit]UCI was founded in 1900 in Paris by the national cycling sports organisations of Belgium, the United States, France, Italy, and Switzerland. It replaced the International Cycling Association by setting up in opposition in a row over whether Great Britain should be allowed just one team at world championships or separate teams representing England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Britain found itself outflanked and it was not able to join the UCI - under the conditions the UCI had imposed - until 1903.[1]" :?

"There were originally 30 countries affiliated to the union. They did not have equal voting power and some had no vote at all. Votes were distributed by the number of tracks, or velodromes, that each nation claimed. France had 18 votes, the highest number, and Germany and Italy 14 each. Britain had eight, a number the writer Bill Mills said was acquired "by including many rather doubtful grass tracks."[1]" :)

Mercx is French....no.....figures...

"Records[edit]The original records were on the track: unpaced, human-paced and mechanically paced. They were promoted for three classes of bicycle: solos, tandems and unusual machines such as what are now known as recumbents, on which the rider lies horizontal. Distances were imperial and metric, from 440 yards and 500 metres to 24 hours.[1] The UCI banned recumbents in competitions and in record attempts on 1 April 1934. Later changes included restrictions on riding positions of the sort that affected Graeme Obree in the 1990s and the banning in 2000 of all frames that did not have a seat tube."

Controversies in abundance through the link above........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
RickH

Post by RickH »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Mercx is French....no.....figures...

He's Belgian actually (Wikipedia entry).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
RickH wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Mercx is French....no.....figures...

He's Belgian actually (Wikipedia entry).

Rick.

Didnt bother checking just guessed :( , But he might as well be due to the Standard that the UCI want hour attempts to adhere too, I believe its his bike they seem is the standard :?:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/04/ ... les_324499

"Since 2000, the UCI set the official hour record based on what it called the “Merckx position,” using a similar track bike setup and geometry as Eddy Merckx used to set a record of 49.431km in 1972. That position does not allow aerodynamic modifications to handlebars, wheels, frames, position, or helmets."

"Cancellara’s plan to tackle the record was the first serious attempt in nearly a decade. The UCI’s strict rules took the luster off challenging the hour record, at least from a technological point of view. Others recently have expressed interest, including 2012 Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins (Sky) and three-time world time trial champion Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-Quick Step)."

I.M.O. Martin is the man for the job.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Voigt is doing it right now, and his new record is....
Postboxer

Re: 51.115kmwho will ride Vuelta a Espana 2014

Post by Postboxer »

51.115km Well done Jens, over to Brad, Fab and Tony.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well done that man.

Do you think that its a changing of the rules or modern advances in body fitness / cycle tech :?:

Edited I am not up on the rule change but it appears that Voight Is using ? (allowed to use) disc wheels and aero bars :?:

Boardman was not :!:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I dont get it how can Yens record compare to Boardmans, it does'nt I.M.O.

Tell me I am wrong..........
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Tonyf33 wrote:As far as I'm concerned Boardman's UCI legit effort of 49.4km in 2000 on a wired wheel bike with drop handlebars is the one to beat but again as the UCI have moved the goalposts yet again it should be easy for Jens Voight to beat it (he's having a crack later this year)

Sorry I had forgotten what you said.....yeh not fair at all, make them all do it on a Merkcx bike.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Could Yens beat -
Cancellara
Wiggo
Tony

On the same style bike :?:
His glory might be short lived............