Heart rate @etape du tour

rick99

Heart rate @etape du tour

Post by rick99 »

I Have started cycling longer distances and attempting longer events than in my 'youth' where i concentrated on playing rugby. I am 45, 1.94m and 95kg when reasonably fit, but could feasibly be under 90kg. So last year, ouside training I cycled 2 or 3 100mile sportives, including a 200km audax all of which i enjoyed immensely and the etape du tour (shortened!) which took me roughly 6.5hours.
My question is this: On the Etape, my heart race was racing the whole day. It averaged 162 for 6.5 hours which I don't think is ideal, healthwise. On the last brutal climb, in 35 degrees, i stopped when it went to 190 or above and even standing by the side of the road I struggled to get it below 150.
I didn't feel particularly out of breath or tired, so what do think caused this and how can i train to avoid it? I think it was my limiting physicality and I don't want to have a cardiac event. obviously!
NUKe

Re: Heart rate @etape du tour

Post by NUKe »

If in doubt when it come to HR consult your doctor , but it could be something is interfering with the monitor.
NUKe

Post by whoof »

Heart rate can increase with a rise in body temperature. If you were not used or comfortable with riding in 35 C this might result in a higher than normal HR. Whether this accounts for what you experienced I don't think anyone would be able to tell you without a pretty thorough medical examination and fitness testing.
rick99

Post by rick99 »

It felt like it was the heat, but i wasn't sure whether that could, in fact, cause it.
I had the compulsory checkup before the event including superficial heart listening with a stethoscope. I don't have this issue in England. I get puffed out in the normal way if i go too hard. This was just the heart rate....
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
More likely that the device has interference.
162 average for 6.5 hrs might be possible but some what unlikely considering that you did not feel unwell :?:
You only stopped after seeing the 190, not because you were falling off bike :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rick99

Post by rick99 »

i am reasonably sure that the monitor was fine.
I could feel my heart racing....and I felt a bit rubbish, but that was to be expected given the event. I wasn't faint or whatever.
And i wasn't lying down under a tree with an attendant paramedic like plenty were on the Joux Plane that day.
I did actually hear one other guy say "I'm going to stop for a bit. Try and get my heart rate down'
I can achieve a max heart rate of 190 in interval work if I really go for it, so it wasn't completely unrealistic. I chose that as a point to stop as...well.....it's the max....and It was a bit weird as I didn't feel like I had oxygen debt. Yes that's he key thing. I felt rubbish, but i wasn't out of breath.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Its possible then that you had a virus, but this would be bad / you have a high heart rate when exercising.

What supplements were you taking? energy drinks etc. are you on meds, though they tend to slow your heart and make your muscles ache.

So you are used to getting your heart rate high.
I don't normally stop if my heart rate goes up but I will if I start to feel like I am lagging a bit / it wont settle when stopping.

Probably the only important factor if you HR monitor is correct is that you struggled to get it below 150 when stopping, this is what your GP will be more concerned about I would of thought. Only a cardiograph type test will show any abnormalities.
rick99

Post by rick99 »

Thanks....I mean it's fine now. resting rate 55 or something. It just wouldn't go down on the day.
I was drinking the usual stuff. Water plus electrolyte tablets in the bottles. Bananas, biscuits, even some cheese from the stops. Only maybe 2 energy gels all day as I don't trust them.
I'd done a reasonable amount of trainn so was used to being knackered. I stopped when my heart rate went up here though because it felt odd...'not good' sort of thing....like it might blow up.
I did have a huge tartiflette the night before which was almost certainly a really bad idea.
I think it was just dehyrdrated/hot/maybe a virus too, then. Makes sense.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

rick99 wrote:I Have started cycling longer distances and attempting longer events than in my 'youth' where i concentrated on playing rugby. I am 45, 1.94m and 95kg when reasonably fit, but could feasibly be under 90kg. So last year, ouside training I cycled 2 or 3 100mile sportives, including a 200km audax all of which i enjoyed immensely and the etape du tour (shortened!) which took me roughly 6.5hours.
My question is this: On the Etape, my heart race was racing the whole day. It averaged 162 for 6.5 hours which I don't think is ideal, healthwise. On the last brutal climb, in 35 degrees, i stopped when it went to 190 or above and even standing by the side of the road I struggled to get it below 150.
I didn't feel particularly out of breath or tired, so what do think caused this and how can i train to avoid it? I think it was my limiting physicality and I don't want to have a cardiac event. obviously!

I wouldn't worry to much about HR, unless you feel I'll. I am 59. In the winter time I do running. I have entered races in recent week, a local 5K Park Run and a 10K road race. The Park Run starts up hill. I have done it several times. My HR can spike to above 200 at the start, on one occasion it reached 220. I knew at the time it was strenuous, but don't actually monitor HR whilst running, just view afterwards. After the initial spike it will fall back to range 170 to 180. During the 10k which was flattish, my average HR was 171, with a peak of 193. For reference my resting HR is 42. In general during easy/moderate paced run training my HR varies between 120 and150, perhaps reaching 160 to 170 plus if there's a long steep hill.

it is my observation that HRs whilst cycling are lower than those experienced whilst running. Perhaps because body weight is supported by the bike. However, though high, I would say the HRs you quote are in a normal range. If riding in 35C, I would be more concerned about de-hydration and sun stroke, both of which could cause HR to be raised higher than would otherwise be the case.
Last edited by david7591 on 9 Dec 2016, 9:45am, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
We have all seen spikes and abnormal readings with HR monitors.
Before dismissing an abnormal reading you might want to do a manual check with a watch for a comparison.
When I get abnormal readings its because the contact has gone lose or dry / sender battery in on the way out.
I have seen 225 on mine but I know that 185 is more accurate.
And my resting can drop to low 40's too (58)
Heart rate is no clue to fitness (your own fitness) only good recovery which is how quickly your hr returns to normal.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I was advised by my Cardiologist to get a kardia heart rate monitor. It's about £100 but it's professional quality. A fast heart rate is OK, the kardia detects whether it's abnormal. It keeps a recording and will send them to your doctor / Cardiologist if requested.

I have a very high heart rate, over 250bpm, but so far it has not detected an abnormal rhythm... It's just fast. I find this reassuring when I use it, and my Cardiologist uses it to reassure my employer, gp, travel insurance companies, etc

In my experience, adrenaline is the biggest cause, which is effected by nerves, stress, fast descending, but also coffee, heat, fatigue or lack of sleep can exacerbate the situation.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
We have all seen spikes and abnormal readings with HR monitors.
Before dismissing an abnormal reading you might want to do a manual check with a watch for a comparison.
When I get abnormal readings its because the contact has gone lose or dry / sender battery in on the way out.
I have seen 225 on mine but I know that 185 is more accurate.
And my resting can drop to low 40's too (58)
Heart rate is no clue to fitness (your own fitness) only good recovery which is how quickly your hr returns to normal.

I often see a spike when beginning very vigorous exercise, despite a thorough warm up ( for e.g. two miles jogging prior to 5K race). It happens with such regularity that I do not think it's a monitor fault. Just my body. Invariably my HR will fall after the spike as described in my earlier message, even though perceived effort if anything increases as the race progresses. When I first saw 200 HR, I was concerned, but as it has occurred on several occasions, and I feel no undue stress, or side effects, I now worry not. Perhaps as suggested by mnichols it's a sudden rush of adrenaline that contributes to a temporary HR spike. That would make intuitive sense in a race start situation.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Spike at beginning of exercise?
I am no expert and fast hr is not uncommon for a lot of explainable medical reasons, but have you told your GP :?:
I have only had a symptom like OP when my hr did race at 150+ at home, I could barely sit in a chair, bought on by a probable virus which dehydrated me beyond a level that could be corrected by oral refreshment, admitted for rehydration, was asked if I took caffeine, NO.

If you feel ok and normal (difference is you want to sit down / you have to lie down feeling sick and cant move) after or during exercise I wouldn't worry as your heart rate is governed very well, you would normally have to be fit to maintain an average above say 170 for an hour.
Hitting 200 is not unusual for a fit person, age isn't always a factor.

I would suggest if you are actually spiking for real at beginning of exercise that's a bit unusual as it then questions what your Max HR could be and why your HR is going high first?

GP' are'nt always so dismissive of a symptom which us plebs would never connect with a condition as we are not so trained in such.

Edited-
Sorry I did not proof read my post that well
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 9 Dec 2016, 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Mine also tends to spike early in the ride. It may go again later in the ride, but if it's going to go at all it will be in the first 15 minutes. I live on top of a hill with four roads out the village but each is a fast descent. The situation resolves when I start going back up hill.... This seems to settle my heart down. It never spikes because of effort, which seems to have the opposite effect. I struggle to get it over 180 these days. Hence why I think it's adrenaline. I'm also very sensitive to caffeine

My wife has pointed out that mostly it happens in May and June so there may be an allergic trigger
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Please note my edited post above.

GP's like us have off days too.
But they are, when they are on the ball, qualified to spot symptoms which can mean something we would never connect to.

My BP's been all over the place and I was criticised by my GP for keeping my BP quite tight as in within a narrow band (me being a bit psychosomatic :mrgreen: )
I used to suffer from migraines for thankfully only a few years, so when my BP when resting goes up as I have been on meds for 30 years or more I start feeling a bit ill and cant even be bothered to get out of the chair.
Exercise drops my BP by 30 points, so when I don't exercise I feel ill after a few weeks.
I did discuss this with the docs last time and he just said that I should tell him and he will sort meds.

So don't always think your GP won't care, I have no other option as I cant afford a sports GP.

Caffeine is something I avoid like the plague as once sensitised I have been told it can come back easy.