Discomfort on weeing

robing

Discomfort on weeing

Post by robing »

I've just read the wee thread. I'm currently cycling across France. I have been caning it and putting in some big miles. It's also been hot and I've been wearing the same undies and shorts without washing them, just airing them so they are dry. (I know not clever).

Just lately I've been having some discomfort on peeing, a sort of burning sensation and a feeling that I need to wee more often. My urine is clear, no blood or anything. I've never had this before and I've done long tours. Just wondering if I might have an infection? Will probably get checked out when I get home. Just got 2 days left to cycle, hope I can finish without any problems.
robing

Re: Discomfort on weeing

Post by robing »

I think I might have urethritis. I'm sure it's caused by the cycling. I know you are not supposed to wear undies but I've tried without and I find it chafes more. I do use a chamois cream though and I've not got any sore areas. Hopefully it will resolve once I get home and can rest and wash my kit!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Could well be urethritis, or even cystitis. Both are internal bacterial infections, unrelated to the sort of soreness that chamois creams can help with .f this is the case you will definitely need to see your doc when you get home. They aren't usually directly caused by cycling although pressure from a poorly matched saddle could create a vulnerability of the urethral lining. Much more likely to result from bacteria rejoicing in unwashed clothing...
At any rate, the slightest hint of dehydration and the resulting concentrated urine is going to make your symptoms worse. Make sure you drink plenty. Remember, Clear Wee is Happy Wee!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks for the advice. I think you're right with the unwashed kit. Will try and drink plenty. I may have been getting a bit dehydrated when it's been so hot. I cycled all round Spain though last year which was much hotter, but I was washing my kit regularly.
robing

Post by robing »

Done some reading up and think I might have irritated my prostate. I have to wee quite regularly anyway so my prostate may already be enlarged. I'm 48. I don't think it's an infection as the wee is clear and no trace of blood. I have got some ibuprofen so will see if that helps. Will definitely get checked out when I get home.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

robing wrote:Done some reading up and think I might have irritated my prostate. I have to wee quite regularly anyway so my prostate may already be enlarged. I'm 48. I don't think it's an infection as the wee is clear and no trace of blood. I have got some ibuprofen so will see if that helps. Will definitely get checked out when I get home.

Infections don't always cause bleeding, and when they do, it usually takes a few days. They also cause more frequent urination. But definitely get it checked out as soon as reasonable. Infections can make your wee smell a bit, and often makes it smell different. If it smells normal, it is less likely to be a urinary infection.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robing

Post by robing »

I took some ibuprofen last night and it's definitely improved. Hopefully I can make it through these last couple of days and then get checked out when I go home.
robing

Post by robing »

I don't think it's an infection. I think I know the cause. I think the padding is going in my shorts which has led to prostate irritation. I reckon a rest from the bike and some new shorts should remedy it. Now at Dieppe, not many miles to cycle to get home now.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Not sure how it is for the gents, but ladies will tell you that cystitis has very similar symptoms to those you describe, and doesn't cause bleeding, though it is still an infection. It can be very annoying, and not easy to get rid of. Drinking more fluids, especially water, is the usual recommendation for mild cases, though some people find that cranberry juice helps, if it really is cystitis.
robing

Post by robing »

Except for obvious anatomical reasons, it is much easier for a woman to get a bladder infection than a man.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

robing wrote:Except for obvious anatomical reasons, it is much easier for a woman to get a bladder infection than a man.

Yes it is, but your symptoms are very similar (same) as those experienced by cystitis sufferers....... endorse the advise so far...
Drink loads.... flush it through. Try Cranberry juice. When you get home if the symptoms do not quickly resolve get to your doctor.... believe me after self treating cystitis for a best of a week, the resultant pyelonephritis was no joke..... and had me crying in the dr's reception as I tried to decide if it was an emergency enough to wait to be seen in the next hour, or come back with appointment for the following day......
I don't cry often for physical pain.......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
robing

Post by robing »

Thanks. I did go and see the doctor today and I do have a uti, he did a dip on my urine and sent some off for culture. He's started me on nitrofurantoin but may change it depending on the culture. He said it could be prostate related, so this might need investigating if not settling.