Stings

NATURAL ANKLING

Stings

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Got stung on the temple...............................................

Very painful even after eight hours.
Swelling to cheek and temple.
24 hrs later eyelids that side swollen and weeping.
Slight sensation in mouth that side.

Phoned doctors but they don't take calls on Saturday.

Thinking on next move, been somewhat allergic to stings for some thirty years after trauma resulting on loss of spleen.
Allergies like this apparently common after several anaesthetic episodes ?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Stings

Post by Mick F »

I was stung on the eyebrow a year or so ago, so I know how you feel!
My eye stared to close by the following morning, so I went to the doc's. Was given antibiotics for the infection and antihistamine for the allergic reaction. It cleared up in a few days, but I was left with a small bump where the sting had gone in that was there fore months.

I think you shouldn't be hanging on until Monday. Phone NHS Direct (or whatever they're called now) and they'll put you in touch with duty health centre or the local hospital. We have a minor injuries unit in Tavistock, so that would be my first port of call it it were me now on a Saturday morning.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...
Phoned doctors but they don't take calls on Saturday.

Search out your local "Call-In Centre". Google or the NHS web site (somewhere on it) will give you their contact details. They generally are open much longer hours, you don't need to be registered with them and if you need to go in don't need an appointment (though waiting times can vary).

The few times I've tried the NHS 111 service it has been a complete waste of time - massively over cautions. Apparently it has gone downhill since I last used it once it was put out to private tender for private healthcare corporations to provide.

Ian
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

24 hours and symptoms getting worse rather than better? - Seek medical assistance of some form without more delay.
Get well soon! 8)
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Off to minor injuries after a good service on 111, see you later.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Psamathe wrote:The few times I've tried the NHS 111 service it has been a complete waste of time - massively over cautions.

The first time I used it they were quite good. I'd had an ocular migraine and they asked me to go to the local cottage hospital where a duty locum had an email they had sent through with all my details, and was waiting to check I hadn't had a stroke.

The second time was different though, I rang because my heart rate was 200 and I was unable to stand up. After taking my name, address, DOB etc., they asked me to hold while they transferred me so I assumed they were putting me through to someone with the expertise to advise. The next person asked for the same details and then also asked me to hold while I was transferred, then the next, and the next, and several more. By the time this had gone on for half an hour I realised they were just putting me back into the call centre queue for someone else to pick up because they didn't want the responsibility of making a decision.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
"AK"............when I last rang 111 or what it used to be, my hr was 150 sitting and I struggled to do that.
Same thing I had to give life history to several people.......................

But to day been better..........................go to walk "Minor Injuries Unit" in hospital.....................Paignton?......no Torbay.
Later there is no Xray operator at Paignton on Saturday (trying to close Paignton at the moment" that's why 111 say NO..................

Went to Torbay................No minor injuries unit in the department list in carpark :?

Go to main entrance and main reception closed, out patients one lone person........follow blue line and elevator level 3.........A&E..........
Get to A&E Holby set.......................side narrow corridor leads to reception of A&E............big waiting room..............ask receptionist where is "Minor Injuries Unit"................blank look.........I said I was told to go to MIU.................by who.........111.............oh......some hospitals call A&E MIU............................right place.........................usual casualty groupies................nurse calls my name........pushes a station with lap top and asks same questions that 111 did.........wait for call................................one hour of cussing then announcement busy and a wait of 2 hrs expected, suggest visiting "Minor Injuries Unit"................... :? .................I'm hear I think ..................and swearing...................by me :oops:

Saw very nice doctor and all is well.........................swelling has affected a nerve in cheek which is why my throat is affected.
Low dose steroids for swelling..............piriton for irritation................steroids minor caution used with BP lowering meds but only lower BP :)

Swearing at my taxis driver whilst we discuss usual time wasting...................er in doors.

Edited for grammar :(
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 13 Nov 2016, 3:08pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've been stung twice when out on my bike, the reaction from the bee sting was minor with a little swelling and redness. The wasp sting was more severe with no reaction for 24 hours then my face swelled up alarmingly so off I went to the local eye hospital as it was near my eye and said about the wasp sting during the examination, luckily it was just the sting that caused the inflamation so I bought some Puriton from Boots after seeking the advice of the pharmacist. I now keep some in work just in case.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I has some steroid tabs for the swelling, doc said that puriton only relieves the itching and redness?

Steroids keep you awake and puriton sends you to sleep so timing important as I only sleep 3hrs a night since shingles two years ago :?

Throwback to my youth when 3 hrs was the norm after walking 30 - 45 miles in a day............Saturday eve was the only time I would lay in.