Very tight hamstring

blanket

Very tight hamstring

Post by blanket »

I have been cycling to keep fit for the last two years. I have cycled mainly in my lunchtimes so would only do around 50 minutes maximum.

About 10 months ago I teared my hamstring which took a few weeks to heal. After this I "feel" my hamstring more and more earlier in a ride. At one point after I cycled for 35 minutes I would feel it and if I cycled 55 minutes it would be sore maybe slightly strained for a few days or a week or so afterwards. Now I can't cycle for 20 minutes without a "feel" and I cycled for 35 minutes on Saturday and my hamstring is sore.

I stretch/warm my hamstring before I go out cycling but it seems to make minimal difference.

I cycle on all kind of tracks and roads on a mountain bike which is a little too small for me. I have gone on YouTube and looked at a video for How To Perform A Basic Bike Fit by the GCN. And even with the seat at full extension I can't get my leg in the correct position.

I was thinking of buying a second hand road bike which hopefully fits me properly. I am 6ft 1.5 Inches and was looking at one with a 58cm frame.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what to do apart from paying a physio for their opinion and/or seeing a professional position fitter as I am quite short on cash.

Thanks
Vorpal

Re: Very tight hamstring

Post by Vorpal »

Many bikes these days have a seat tube angle that doesn't really suit getting the saddle back far enough. You can buy a seat post with layback for not too much money.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104331

Also, you may benefit from stretching after you warm up (20ish minutes, or until you start to sweat), rather than beforehand.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

blanket wrote:I stretch/warm my hamstring before I go out cycling but it seems to make minimal difference.

Stretch or warm? There is an important difference! Stretching before exercise is nowadays considered a Bad Thing, warm-ups should be low-intensity replications of the exercise you intend to undertake, in order to increase blood supply and move the limbs through the relevant range of motion. Stretching (static holding the muscles slightly beyond the normal length should be done after exercise whilst the muscles are still warm.

For example
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/stretching-and-flexibility-tips#1 wrote:Static stretching involves slowly stretching a muscle to its end position and holding it for a short period of time, usually 10-30 seconds. This is the most common form of stretching and is most often done to warm up for exercise -- but that is a big mistake.

instead
Use dynamic movement as a warm-up for exercise.
The best way to warm up for exercise is to perform low-intensity, dynamic movement that is similar to the main type of activity that you will perform.
and
save static stretching for a cool-down activity, after you're done exercising, or as the main point of your workout (after you have warmed up). During this time, the muscles are warm, more elastic, and less likely to become injured.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVu5Zrktm40

Oh dear....its the same old, same old.
Set your saddle height so that your knee angle is between two magic numbers......or set your saddle height at another magic number times your inseam measurement. Are those magic numbers for twenty year old ballet dancers, or sixty year old rugby players? .....they certainly aren't for people with one tight hamstring. Isn't this fitting the rider into a set of magic numbers?....I don't see any attempt to adjust the bicycle to take account of the rider's flexibility or functionality......or even pedalling style, apart from arcane references to toe down or heel down pedalling.

Go here....http://wheel-easy.org.uk/ride-calendar.html....in the yellow box is "bike set up".....click on that to download my basic guide.

If 20 minutes cycling is upsetting your hamstring, stop doing it. Either get help from a physiotherapist or buy this book and rehabilitate your hamstring https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sports-Injuries-Self-Help-Vivian-Grisogono/dp/1905367287. If you find another exercise that doesn't upset your hamstring, you can do that for now in order to keep some fitness.