Training programme for for a 58 year old man.

landsurfer

Training programme for for a 58 year old man.

Post by landsurfer »

Possibly this has been mentioned before.
I am 58, i cycle on average 250 miles a month. Touring.
I ride steel and alloy framed bikes and am overweight.
This year i want to try a return to time trials after a 20 year gap, 10 mile TT.
Are there any websites that can point the older cyclist to training programs that would help a Touring Cyclist to a Time Trialist again.

Please don't laugh .... I'm serious about this .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Spinners

Re: Training programme for for a 58 year old man.

Post by Spinners »

Looking at the mileage you're doing now (with weight) you've already got a good endurance base so you should adapt to specific race training quite well.

Whilst not specific to time-trialling you'll find this book quite a good read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-After-50- ... 1937715264
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

landsurfer wrote:Possibly this has been mentioned before.
I am 58, i cycle on average 250 miles a month. Touring.
I ride steel and alloy framed bikes and am overweight.
This year i want to try a return to time trials after a 20 year gap, 10 mile TT.
Are there any websites that can point the older cyclist to training programs that would help a Touring Cyclist to a Time Trialist again.

Please don't laugh .... I'm serious about this .....

I would start by joining a club that has weekly time trials. Even if you aren't competitive, you will see your improvement and get to know some of the local TT courses. Some CTC/Cycling UK affiliated groups do them. Otherwise check the CTT for affiliated clubs https://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/find-clubs
If you look for clubs that are affiliated to more than one organisation (i.e. CTT, Cycling UK, BC, etc.) you are more likely to find other folks your age doing time trials. You can call or email and see if a club might suit you before you go out for a time trial. Some clubs don't run them in the winter because of dark and ice.

Doing a weekly club time trial, you can use it for training and to see personal improvement without worrying about whether you are competitive. You might make new friends or meet training partners, too.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

BC have training plans. Four weeks and you'll be up there :wink:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... e-advanced
I'm currently reading Jens Voigt "Shut up Legs". I can see where I've been going wrong all these years I've been on LSD :cry:
Long Slow Distance
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
whoof

Post by whoof »

I wouldn't be too worried about your age. I've just looked at the results of a local open 10 TT.

51 starters; one juvenile, one junior, one 18-23, five seniors and 43 veterans.
softlips

Post by softlips »

People like you are my inspiration.

I'm 50 this year and only started riding last year. I'm really enjoying my new hobby, I'm getting fit and making new friends.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I am not 58..........yet...............soon :mrgreen:

When I was twenty I had a five mile race coming home from work with a guy at that time who held the Haytor hill climb record.
He could not stay in the saddle I never left the saddle, although this was faster than my normal home ride I was not pressed and only went home because I was wearing jeans and a nylon shirt, ex army stores knapsack and trousers tucked into my socks, a summer day.

I would regard + 3hrs as endurance, anything less is TT, but what do I know my only 10 TT was done with a rucksack, so depressed with my rapidly falling performance due to multi meds I gave up for 10 years and only mounted turbo during that time.

Actual strength will be the hardest to recover, recovery will be slower and more painful.
I do 30-35 hours a month all at avg 80% of max HR. With a 50Ib bike 40 % off road.
Turbo sessions are at 85-90%.
Less than that and I will go backwards.
Time and effort, mileage does not matter.
You need to monitor some actual effort so without a HRM you will need to cycle with others at fitness you want to copy.
A 10TT may well need even more commitment than that.

But you sound some what experienced so I don't / nobody needs to advise you.
Change your diet for the rest of your life to lose weight I.M.O.

Good luck.

P.S. - Secret weapon.
Attachments
Skip Trainer DB1
Skip Trainer DB1
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

BBC R4 'Saturday Live' last Saturday included
Dr Charles Eugster. He is not only as fit as a fiddle, a body-builder, and a multi-podiuming champ in rowing and athletics, he also won his last British championship at long jump last year AT THE AGE OF NINETY SEVEN.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0890kzb
whizzzz

Post by whizzzz »

softlips wrote:People like you are my inspiration.

Hear hear ! Yup I certainly wont laugh, good on you. Best of luck with it and if you find anything put a link to it here. I have seen guides on how you get to ride 100 miles in a session, regular rides with the occasional big one ramping up to the 100 mark, but I haven't seen any race orientated ones. I would guess there are commercial companies who can help, but I bet with some web digging there must be some overviews or experience you can use to help shape your own.

Nice one, enjoy the rides.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Plenty of 50#'s out there riding time trials.
You already have a good base.
Look at losing some weight.... you know what you should and should be eating so won't harp on, but cut bad carbs, eat good ones and proteins.
Join a local club.

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/#

Go to the 'About' drop down menu to find information and rules about riding time trials.

Go to the 'Discover' drop down menu to find clubs local to you that are affiliated to time trials association.

Look for clubs that run local evening time trials that you can go along and ride. If you can give me some idea of where you live I can probably point you in a right direction. NOTE weekly evening time trial series do not usually start until late March / early April when the nights start to draw out. You can usually just turn up, pay an entry fee, get a number (get advise on correct fitting please) and start at your alloted time.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/

Consider looking at this forum, plenty of nerds with lots of numbers, watts, training methods and kit... but they are generally a good bunch with advise... have look through some of the threads on training etc to get some ideas.

Don't worry about being over weight not having right bike equipment etc., we have a 50+ gent turn up to ours, rides with straight bars on knobbly tyres and acquits himself pretty well, recording 27 mins for 10 miles.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells