How To Lose Weight

661-Pete

Re: How To Lose Weight

Post by 661-Pete »

One encouraging development.

Some years ago I had to increase my trouser size from 36" to 38" waist. I kept the old trousers, "just in case". Yesterday I tried on an old pair with 36" waist: I kept them on all day and I'm wearing them at the moment. They don't feel at all bad :) ! A few months ago they would have been most uncomfortable or even impossible.

And I can categorically state that they are ordinary trousers with fixed waistband - not one of these expanding waistband types designed to mislead you about those inches piling on!

Now the big question is, will I ever get into a 34" pair again? That's what I used to wear, for most of my adult life.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

661-Pete wrote:One encouraging development.

Some years ago I had to increase my trouser size from 36" to 38" waist. I kept the old trousers, "just in case". Yesterday I tried on an old pair with 36" waist: I kept them on all day and I'm wearing them at the moment. They don't feel at all bad :) ! A few months ago they would have been most uncomfortable or even impossible.

And I can categorically state that they are ordinary trousers with fixed waistband - not one of these expanding waistband types designed to mislead you about those inches piling on!

Now the big question is, will I ever get into a 34" pair again? That's what I used to wear, for most of my adult life.

Sounds very familiar! I used to wear 34", in the dim and distant past, so distant I couldn't say exactly when, probably my early 20's (now late 30's)

I put on weight gradually so much that I didn't really notice. Except that I went up to 40" in trousers and was like that for a year or so. But around a year ago I managed to lose a bit and go down to 38". Well; this year I've put more effort in and now 36" is my usual size and 38" are too big for me, even though I have loads of them :(.

Only in the last few weeks have 36" started to fee slightly slack on me, so I might get back to 34" yet!
meic

Post by meic »

I am pleased to say that I have just lost 5 Kg over the past two and a half weeks. :D

I didnt diet at all and ate plenty of bread and cheese. I think that possibly cycling over a thousand miles in that period may have had something to do with it.

Now let's see how quickly I find it again sat behind the computer screen.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As far as I know your diet can only affect cholesterol reduction of up to 14.5 %.

So if your GP diagnoses through blood tests that you are at a risky level it is unlikely that diet will reduce cholesterol to a safe level :?:

Obviously heart disease in the family etc, will be taken into consideration.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
As far as I know your diet can only affect cholesterol reduction of up to 14.5 %.

So if your GP diagnoses through blood tests that you are at a risky level it is unlikely that diet will reduce cholesterol to a safe level :?:

using the god awful Statins ? of course the presumption there is a dangerous level of cholesterol or that is what people have been told. It is far more complicated than a single figure. For example LDL is split into two lots (if you pay for the tests which GP's don't) the small cholesterol and the large fluffy one.

the large fluffy ones are NOT a problem as they can not cling onto your veins and potentially block them, the small ones are the issues and especially if you are inflamed. Unless you know their levels any test is frankly worthless. Yes I am not doctor and not trained in this but I believe the training is wrong and based on outdated science and knowledge.

I link this article as pretty simple to read

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/cholest ... gs-cancer/

but of course anyone can find an article to suit their view point.

BTW any diet IMHO that leaves you hungry is not sustainable.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

All my life I've wanted to reach 10 stone. And struggled to remain above 9. At 68 I've shrunk a little but at just over 5' 9" my BMI (crude I know) has been near enough 20 for at least 50 years. Waist size HAS increased a little in last 18 months or so - now maybe a fraction over 30" - never varied even when I was a big (big) drinker - perhaps being a totally abstaining alcoholic for over 13 years has prevented my changing shape with age?

I rarely see "how to gain weight" - perhaps we are meant to be bigger?
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

djnotts wrote:All my life I've wanted to reach 10 stone. And struggled to remain above 9. At 68 I've shrunk a little but at just over 5' 9" my BMI (crude I know) has been near enough 20 for at least 50 years. Waist size HAS increased a little in last 18 months or so - now maybe a fraction over 30" - never varied even when I was a big (big) drinker - perhaps being a totally abstaining alcoholic for over 13 years has prevented my changing shape with age?

I rarely see "how to gain weight" - perhaps we are meant to be bigger?

Fat storage is all about the body preparing for a famine which never comes in modern life. It is why insulin is so vital as it stores excess sugar as body fat. If you can not gain weight and you might have eaten some right rubbish to do so then you probably have a very good metabolic system. However I would state that have you heard of TOFI - Thin Outside Fat Inside ?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Heard the phrase, but not something about which I care! Lungs so shot that rest of the internals completely irrelevant! And no never really a rubbish eater. When I reached 1 - 2 bottles of gin/brandy a day I ate very little.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

which is familiar of those in your position where food is secondary ?

just depends what you want and you eat, proper weight to be gained is muscle so go on a body programme ?
softlips

Post by softlips »

I've lost 16kgs over the last eight months. I've basically cut right back on processed carbs during the week but don't worry too much at weekends. I also work away a lot and used to prop the bar up too much, rarely drink when away with work now. I have a Fitbit and make sure I walk 11,000 steps a day and keep an eye on what I eat calorie wise - I'm not starving myself, but being more aware of the choices I make.

I also started cycling around four months ago and I've been amazed how much fitter I now am.

I'm loving the cycling and have even joined a club.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

softlips wrote:I've lost 16kgs over the last eight months. I've basically cut right back on processed carbs during the week but don't worry too much at weekends. I also work away a lot and used to prop the bar up too much, rarely drink when away with work now. I have a Fitbit and make sure I walk 11,000 steps a day and keep an eye on what I eat calorie wise - I'm not starving myself, but being more aware of the choices I make.

I also started cycling around four months ago and I've been amazed how much fitter I now am.

2½ stone! :shock: Well Done.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

softlips wrote:I've lost 16kgs over the last eight months. I've basically cut right back on processed carbs

I think this is the key to weight loss and to calories in/out stuff which fails. I have lost 13kg in the same time and boy don;t I feel good !
softlips

Post by softlips »

MikeF wrote:
softlips wrote:I've lost 16kgs over the last eight months. I've basically cut right back on processed carbs during the week but don't worry too much at weekends. I also work away a lot and used to prop the bar up too much, rarely drink when away with work now. I have a Fitbit and make sure I walk 11,000 steps a day and keep an eye on what I eat calorie wise - I'm not starving myself, but being more aware of the choices I make.

2½ stone! :shock: Well Done.

Thanks, I'm now in the healthy range but want to lose more to help climb those hills. My reward will be a light weight bike, but there's no point shaving a kilo off the bike while I still carry a few extra myself.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I recently tried a LCHF diet. I found that it works, in that you lose weight, but I found that it adversely affects my performance on the bike. I only tried it for 3 weeks, so wasn't totally fat adapted, I think, but I found I had no energy on a bike ride of longer than about an hour. And I felt like I permanently had the bonk after a ride, feeling really tired and lacking in energy.

Has anyone else experienced this and how did you get over it?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I haven't done it myself, but I can imagine that a change in diet like that could take a bit longer than 3 weeks to adapt to. In addition, other things could cause fatigue:
-did you eat enough carbs? (I know that the point of the diet, but you still need some carbs)
-did you eat enough fat? If you've spent a lifetime shying away from fat because it was considered bad for you, you may still be in the habit? Use more butter, mayonaise, etc.? Along the same lines, did you eat enough calories?
-does your diet (and supplements) include enough vitamin D, B12, iron, selenium, potassium?
-are you replacing electrolytes? If you used to eat bananas or drink an energy drink and have replaced them with a LCHF snack, instead, you may be missing out on electrolytes and potassium

Did the fatigue problem go away when you returned to your previous diet?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom