Teeth matters

Psamathe

Re: Teeth matters

Post by Psamathe »

Psamathe wrote:
hondated wrote:...
I too saw the programme that featured the youngster getting his teeth sorted and I can only imagine how much it cost given an implant is £1k.
I am loathe to do it but if necessary if it means its significantly cheaper get a flight over to Prague and get them done there.
Old age is definitely setting in now that's for sure.

Given my experiences in the UK I would never consider going overseas for cheaper treatment.

£1k is very cheap for an implant.

Ian

I was responding to:
hondated wrote:...
I too saw the programme that featured the youngster getting his teeth sorted and I can only imagine how much it cost given an implant is £1k.

as I thought £1k too cheap (most places I checked with were quoting £2k plus or minus very little).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

millimole wrote:I had implants done privately a few years ago. The dentist that did them quoted on a fixed price - others quoted 'per hour'. The fixed price deal worked very well for me, as I got a serious gum infection around the newly implanted posts, which then had to be removed, a bone graft done, and new posts fitted before the teeth went on.
This is why I wouldn't want to have major surgery abroad- for fear of complications.
Having said that my current NHS dentist was looking at an X-Ray of my top jaw recently and commented on what a splendid job the dentist had done, but added the rider that "you'd only get that sort of quality work done in Eastern Europe these days" - on questioning this, he said that he wouldn't hesitate to go East to get major dental work done - if he didn't have pals he could depend on to do it at 'mates rates'!

Sounds nasty but glad it turned out ok.

In my own case I had minor "complications" stitches that needed adjusting, tooth that didn't quite fit perfectly, etc. and using a UK dentist made the adjustments very quick and easy. So for one implant that was too low, call in to dentist who makes a jig, removes implant fits post (10 mins) then a week later quick appointment to remove post and fit implant (another 10 mins) - but overseas that would be return flights x2, probably overnight x2 airport parking x2, etc.

Ian
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I wouldn't have implants even if i could afford them. Even worse than fillings and root canals as a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

No one wants fillings or implants Windmiller. Truble is unless you live on juice alone,eating's a tad difficult(tho I suppose you can buy choppers)

From what I've read and seen,implants are quite safe. Now laser eye treatment....glasses....surgical operative intervention...life...pretty serious :wink:
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

661-Pete wrote:healthy gums means less risk of heart disease or stroke

Unless there has been some recent breakthrough study, it is only known that the gum disease is associated with heart disease, not that it causes it.

I've not now been to a dentist for 15 years since the more frequently you have check-ups, the more fillings and treatment you receive. Checkups can be really bad for your teeth because the dental explorer breeches regions of softened enamel. Ones the dentist has breeched your enamel, he has you on a lifetime conveyor belt of fillings, bigger fillings, crowns, root canals, extractions, and bridges and implants or dentures. Live teeth can actually recover and remineralise their enamel (they grew in the first place didn't they?). Part of the secret is keeping them moistened with saliva, which naturally contains calcium and phosphate ions (guess what tooth enamel is composed from?). Once you receive a root canal, then the tooth is dead. People who breathe through their mouth, particularly at night, have a greater propensity towards cavities because their teeth are dry. It is a similar case if your have bugs bunny teeth. I wonder if cyclists suffer more, too?

Visiting the hygienist for a polish is also detrimental to tooth health. It leaves them nice and smooth for a while, but in reality it has removed the plaque, which should be a protective protein matrix full of helpful bacteria. Most of us have acid-creating bacterial residing in our dental biofilm because of the diets we follow. The acid creating bacteria, which thrive on sugar, can be easily killed by a change in diet so that your biofilm can be recolonized with helpful species.

It's all part of an old story in which medical people are revered like gods, and never questioned, but in reality they are following received wisdom that are about as justifiable as astrology.