Cateye Padrone anomaly

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gandi

Cateye Padrone anomaly

Post by gandi »

Hello,
Has anyone used the above computer and found strange differences,this morning i did a 17.40 mile route in 59mins 30secs but my avg for the ride read 16.4mph,am i missing something or doing something wrong.

Thanks for looking.

Ps i am using the mirror image method
dragonrider

Re: Cateye Padrone anomaly

Post by dragonrider »

After years of using Cateye and being convinced they were really robust I am changing my view. The last two Cateyes (including one Padrone) bought with new bikes for myself and wife have either failed completely and been replaced, but then started given faulty readings like yours, or strangely keep zeroing after a stop of more than 30mins. In the end I have ditched them, and have just bought a BBB from Spa. Sad though to find a one time good manufacturer and pioneer of good kit losing the plot.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

dragonrider wrote:After years of using Cateye and being convinced they were really robust I am changing my view. The last two Cateyes (including one Padrone) bought with new bikes for myself and wife have either failed completely and been replaced, but then started given faulty readings like yours, or strangely keep zeroing after a stop of more than 30mins. In the end I have ditched them, and have just bought a BBB from Spa. Sad though to find a one time good manufacturer and pioneer of good kit losing the plot.

How did you find Cateye customer services? or was it the retailer who replaced your kit?

(I'm interested because I've just ordered one of these things - I have an older much more basic cateye computer which has never once malfunctioned in about five years or more and agrees perfectly with my Anquet software about distances; I avoided Garmin because we had a bad experience of them with a GPS device for walkers years ago, and their customer service was the worst I've even known with any company)
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

I don't know about the Padrone specifically, but other computers I have used exclude stops from the average speed.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Mr Evil wrote:I don't know about the Padrone specifically, but other computers I have used exclude stops from the average speed.

Our walking one certainly does*, but maybe it depends on how some units are set up? One thing that I'm not looking forward to is setting up the Padrone, as it looks fiddly, and has a heart and cadence monitor coming with it. :?

* our old Garmin walking one's barometric altitude measurements used to bob up and down whilst we were stopped for lunch if the air pressure changed. On occasion that could add a thousand feet or more to how much climbing it thought we'd done. :shock: