Cateye light clip part broken - what's it called?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NeedMoreAir

Cateye light clip part broken - what's it called?

Post by NeedMoreAir »

Hello,
I had a fall recently that threw my light (Cateye Volt Nano Shot HL-EL620RC) some distance away. Now it doesn't clip in securely, it just sits there loosely. The part at the bottom of the light that clips into the bracket is chipped away - does anyone know what it's called so I can look for it? I searched the interwebs and asked in a couple of bike stores in London but no luck. The part is removable with a hex key. Here's what it looks like (broken bit circled)

EDIT: fixed image link
IMG_20151010_161435 - Copy.jpg
Last edited by NeedMoreAir on 12 Oct 2015, 10:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: Cateye light clip part broken - what's it called?

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't see your pic.

Cateye list mounting brackets that attach to the handlebar and a helmet mount: http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/det ... 0RC/parts/

No other spare parts listed on the website or in the manual: http://202.215.251.86/images/manual/HL- ... G%20v3.pdf

You could try a wanted ad on these boards, otherwise see if the part can be swapped with a similar bracket from a cheap donor lamp (possibly swapping the handlebar fixing too).
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I also can't see your pic but if it's the part I think it is then it used to be the case that the light-side of the bracket was interchangeable between lights even if the 2 lights used different brackets - this might therefore work for your model of light too. What you could therefore do is to ask on the forum if anyone has an old cateye front light, working or non-working, and salvage the equivalent part from that light and then buy the corresponding handlebar bracket if that doesn't also come with the light.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I'd call it a foot.

I see that the battery life is given as 300 charging cycles & then you have to start faffing around with boxes & postage. Boring.

I bounced a beloved 4xAA HL_EL530 off the road a year or two back and had to replace the whole thing. Fortunately they were still available.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NeedMoreAir

Post by NeedMoreAir »

Thanks for your replies, I've fixed my post with the right image, sorry about that! Looking for old cateyes that have a compatible "foot" seems to be the way to go... thanks!
rossjamesparker

Post by rossjamesparker »

I appreciate that this is an old thread, but I found it while searching for the answer to the same problem. The part needed is called a "Bracket spacer" and it is part number 5445330 from Cateye. Few merchants carry this part, which is a problem!
luciqt

Post by luciqt »

Hmmm, getting it to the UK is a tough one - well it costs over $30 to ship this part! (I recently had mine break) Can't find any UK retailers ....
shempz

Post by shempz »

Hi folks, I'm a bit late to the party on this, but thought I'd let you all know its quite easy to get these in the UK now. Cateye have an official spare parts distributor in the UK, and you can buy from them directly. They cost 99p each and its free delivery. I've ordered 3 just to be on the safe side!

The company is called Zyro Fisher (they are on Cateye's website), and here is a link to the part itself on Zyro Fisher's website:
http://www.zyrofisher.co.uk/products/detail/CA5445330

You won't be able to order online, but give them a call, and you'll probably get through to a nice lady called Sarah, who will take your order.

Hope that helps.
stardav

Post by stardav »

Thanks for that link, the same thing happened to me. (Fell, and sheared off that little nib).
Cycling in Surrey

Post by Cycling in Surrey »

Sorry to bring up an old thread - but the Hex Bolt on this product - where do I find a Hex Key to tighten it up with? All my Hex Keys don't fit - it must be metric, and all mine must be imperial!
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Cycling in Surrey wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread - but the Hex Bolt on this product - where do I find a Hex Key to tighten it up with? All my Hex Keys don't fit - it must be metric, and all mine must be imperial!

Japan is on the metric system, so I'd expect it to be metric. Looks like its 1,5 or 2,0 mm from the picture. I would be inclined to take it into a local bike shop, tool factors, Halfords or similar and ask them for a key. Be prepared for having to buy a full set, unless you go to an old school tool factor.
mike_302

Post by mike_302 »

Reviving this old thread because I have a Volt200 light with a similar problem. The only caveat is that the Volt200 doesn't have a replaceable bracket spacer.

The light still works and charges fine. I'm loathe to throw it in the bin or even electronics recycling, because it's in working order except this tiny clip. Any thoughts or ideas on what I might do? Creativity is welcome :)
shobo

Post by shobo »

Apparently, this type of mount has been discontinued by Cateye. Shame, it was good. Theyve replaced it across their range by a feeble elastic band. Nothing wrong with bands per se, but these are poor. Commercial suicide ! Ive now switched all my lighting to Lezyne, which have robust user friendly mounts
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Creativity is welcome

I think it's going to involve a Dremel and some Araldite.

Jonathan
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Stupid rubber band fixings!
Unless the light is perfectly balanced it moves every time you hit a bump/pothole in the road.

I saw a mobile phone handlebar mount with the same fixing the other day!
I'm really going to trust my very expensive £££ phone to that, NOT!