Vittoria Hypers (again)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Re: Vittoria Hypers (again)

Post by deliquium »

Just measured my Randonneur Pro 2 32 x 700C = 29.2mm wide on 17mm internal width rims inflated to 40-50 PSI :roll:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Rare to see such unanimous positive comments on tyres! I don't suppose they do a 26" version?
tincaman

Post by tincaman »

geocycle wrote:Rare to see such unanimous positive comments on tyres! I don't suppose they do a 26" version?

The Hyper is 700c only, but the Radonnuer Pro is available as a 26x1.50 option
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

tincaman wrote:
geocycle wrote:Rare to see such unanimous positive comments on tyres! I don't suppose they do a 26" version?

I have been using the Randonneur Pro 26" x 1.5" (which measure 38.9mm on 19mm Sputnik rims) for well over a year and several 1000s of miles (worn one rear out)

Personally, I'm as happy as Larry and as pleased as Punch :D They cost £10 each - I'd willingly pay double (but still have a 2 spares)

But my assessment is pointless as I've nothing to compare them with in that size :roll:

Never punctured. But those mishaps are rare on Snowdonia's roads
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tincaman wrote:

Which has the same carcass as the Hyper but 4.5mm of tread instead of 3mm for the Hyper,both are very nice tyres to ride but the Rando Pro is a bit heavier.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

reohn2 wrote:
tincaman wrote:

Which has the same carcass as the Hyper but 4.5mm of tread instead of 3mm for the Hyper,both are very nice tyres to ride but the Rando Pro is a bit heavier.

Thanks guys, very useful info.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick comes in 26x1.5 and is closer to Hyper IMO. I have used these and they have all the comfort, lightness and speed attributes of the Hyper but are totally slick which may put some people off.

Once "scrubbed in" over a couple of rides I find their grip is excellent on dry or wet tarmac but you may need extra caution on wet mud. I bought mine from Wiggle for £15 each- best price at the time.

EDIT: previous thread about the Pro Slick 26": viewtopic.php?t=93813

But they are not in the current Vittoria catalog and Wiggle don't have them any more. Found them at Fatbirds for £17.99 each: http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1728874/produ ... -385g.aspx
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

tincaman wrote:

geocycle wrote:
Rare to see such unanimous positive comments on tyres! I don't suppose they do a 26" version?

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick comes in 26x1.5 and is closer to Hyper IMO. I have used these and they have all the comfort, lightness and speed attributes of the Hyper but are totally slick which may put some people off.

+1 for the Rubino Pro slick they are great but beware I had Randonneur Pro 26" x 1.5" fitted and thought they were pretty poor ok for slow commuting but much more drag than the standard marathons I have fitted to another bike. The drag maybe due to the puncture protection but I took them off and fitted the Rubino Pro slick after only a few miles and got rid of the Randonneur Pro. IMHO they were the most joyless slicks I have ever used.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

lowrider wrote:+1 for the Rubino Pro slick they are great but beware I had Randonneur Pro 26" x 1.5" fitted and thought they were pretty poor ok for slow commuting but much more drag than the standard marathons I have fitted to another bike. The drag maybe due to the puncture protection but I took them off and fitted the Rubino Pro slick after only a few miles and got rid of the Randonneur Pro. IMHO they were the most joyless slicks I have ever used.

Are you sure it's a Pro and not an ordinary Rando as the difference is one of chalk and cheese?
The ordinary Rando is similar to a Schwalbe Marathon for ride quality and rolling resistance.
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:
lowrider wrote:+1 for the Rubino Pro slick they are great but beware I had Randonneur Pro 26" x 1.5" fitted and thought they were pretty poor ok for slow commuting but much more drag than the standard marathons I have fitted to another bike. The drag maybe due to the puncture protection but I took them off and fitted the Rubino Pro slick after only a few miles and got rid of the Randonneur Pro. IMHO they were the most joyless slicks I have ever used.

Are you sure it's a Pro and not an ordinary Rando as the difference is one of chalk and cheese?
The ordinary Rando is similar to a Schwalbe Marathon for ride quality and rolling resistance.

I was wondering that too. :?:
Current pedalable joys

Graham

Post by Graham »

Vittoria : some great tyres, but their confusion marketing is dismal and annoying.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham wrote:Vittoria : some great tyres, but their confusion marketing is dismal and annoying.

I must admit it can be a bit confusing,especially if you're not particular tyre 'savvy' :?
W H Auden
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Post by deliquium » 17 Jun 2016, 7:13pm

reohn2 wrote:

lowrider wrote:
+1 for the Rubino Pro slick they are great but beware I had Randonneur Pro 26" x 1.5" fitted and thought they were pretty poor ok for slow commuting but much more drag than the standard marathons I have fitted to another bike. The drag maybe due to the puncture protection but I took them off and fitted the Rubino Pro slick after only a few miles and got rid of the Randonneur Pro. IMHO they were the most joyless slicks I have ever used.

I was wondering that too. :?:

They were definitely Randonneur Pro 26" x 1.5" and they were like chalk and cheese to the rubino they seemed reasonable quality but a lot more rolling resistance walls and tread were a lot heavier, unless puncture resistance is a priority I would not use them. I have a set of Hypers waiting to go on my 700c bike I assume by the reports these will be more like the Rubinos if they are no better than the Randonneur Pro then I will be very dissapointed.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Graham wrote:Vittoria : some great tyres, but their confusion marketing is dismal and annoying.

Agree totally.

Maybe they should just sack the entire marketing team, concentrate on developing and producing tyres and just give their tyre types code numbers.
Sweep
Graham

Post by Graham »

I've just been out mixing it with some sportif riders for a good few miles.

Dawes Galaxy shod with voyager hypers gave the carbon bike guys & girls a good run for their money.

Possibly a bit disconcerting for them to see some old bloke on a touring bike, long mudguards, rack and wide tyres hauling past them up a long steep hill.
( I could not help myself - you know how it is. )