Walkable Cycling Shoe Recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Walkable Cycling Shoe Recommendations

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:I seem to think that having SPD one side, and flat the other tends to produce a big chunky pedal. I'd like something sleek and minimal.
Can you have SPD and flat on the same side?

er, yes and no.

By definition the SPD binding has to stick up above the surrounding flat surface, which means that whilst 'you can have both on one side', the flats on the same side as the binding are invariably almost useless as a flat pedal; OK with trainers to go down the shops, but not for anything else.

You will read talk of 'pop-up bindings' with some pedal models, but this is a distortion of the truth; all that happens is that the binding rotates WRT to the flat section; it always pokes upwards, it just pokes upwards differently...

If you want 'a sleek SPD pedal', you could consider using a small SPD pedal (e.g. PD-A515, PD-7410, PD-6500), adding a clip-in converter for when you want to use a flat pedal.

Thinking about it, I wonder if you always ride the bike in the same pair of (say) trainers when you are using a flat pedal approach, perhaps (if the soles are thick enough) you could cut some small recesses in the sole so that the SPD binding doesn't poke into your foot? If you could do that, you could perhaps use PD-A600 or PD-A520 with no converter?

-just a thought, anyway...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Clip-in converter eh?
Sounds a good idea.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bpd-90-feet ... -adaptors/

rfryer wrote:I also use Speedplay Frog pedals in preference to SPDs (which I also own). The cleats are equally recessed, but the action is different; a free float, and release without twisting against a spring.
Mick F wrote:These sound interesting.
I'll check them out.
They seem fantastic!
Just spent an hour over my morning pot of tea looking at them. I like the stainless version.
Trouble is, they're quite expensive at £100+ but I still like the idea.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-frog- ... ss-pedals/
I've found them much cheaper .......... but not available.
http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/for-the-b ... pedal.html

By looking around, I've found them at £99.99
http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/speedp ... edals.html
Mick F. Cornwall
123malford

Post by 123malford »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes. :D
I have a pair of Dromarti Race in brown. Had them for a few years now.
http://dromarti.com/cycling-shoes/race-classic
I don't think I should push the boat out that far again!

Meanwhile, I've just bought a pair of Exustars from Spa Cycles.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b79s154p33 ... Version%2A
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Mick F wrote:Clip-in converter eh?
Sounds a good idea.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bpd-90-feet ... -adaptors/
Converters like those aren't good for regular installation and removal. The plastic cleat gets mangled relatively quickly, and you end up needing to lever the clip open with a screwdriver to get them off.
I have seen aluminium platforms with regular steel cleats offered, though that's on kickstarter in the US.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What a brilliant idea!
Universal adapters!
Bolt on your cleats, and Bob's your uncle.

If they become available over here, I'd buy a pair.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Such things already exist I think. Anyway I'm sure you could make something easily enough.

BTW for SPD pedals, I think it could be a good idea to use a non-SPD cleat in a converter; if you use the right kind of cleat, I think that the converter can be very secure, such that it can't come out in normal use. [I agree the plastic jobbies are not good for very regular use BTW.]

what about these

cheap right now?

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtreme-pro-adapter/aid:37739

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Update:
I ordered a pair of Exustar shoes from Spa Cycles.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s154p338 ... Version%2A
As my other cycling shoes are both Size45, I went for 45.
They arrived today, but they are too big, so I've ordered a pair of 44's.
I'll be returning the 45's in the next day or two for a refund.

Meanwhile, I ordered a pair of Speedplay Frogs from The Bicycle Lounge in Ormskirk, West Lancs (not far from where Mrs Mick F is from).
They arrived today, and TBH, they are absolutely fantastic! :D
http://www.thebicyclelounge.co.uk/speed ... stainless/
I paid £85.49

My old road shoes will fit two bolt cleats, so although I won't be riding them as they aren't recessed, I fitted them anyway and had a play back-pedalling plus clipping in and out. They are often described as like skating on ice, and that's the way I felt it was like. Zero resistance in float, and silent in clipping out. There's bags of float - specified as 20degs and I can believe it.

They'll take some getting used to, but I reckon they and I will be good friends. Can't wait for the replacement shoes to arrive. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

FLR SPD shoes, comfortable to walk in, around £45 - 50 a pair. Long lasting, as a daily ride and sportive shoe for me. Mine are 2 years old and in good Nick. I have 2 pairs, one is the original Velcro closure and I converted the other pair to lace ups with a combined hole punch and eyelet tool from eBay.

If anyone wants a nearly new pair of the FLR look / keo type size 46 drop me a line £20 Inc p and p. All my bikes now have Shimano 520 SPD pedals (£17.99 Je james cycles ).
Last edited by landsurfer on 14 Jul 2016, 5:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote: Update:.... I ordered a pair of Speedplay Frogs .....I paid £85.49

they seem to me to be well-made pedals, but at about four times the cost, I don't think they offer much improvement over PD-M520s, whilst lacking easy availability of spare parts etc.

I have always supposed that there is no such thing as a converter for 'frogs' that allows them to be used as a flat pedal? If you tried to use one of the standard ones, but with a frog cleat attached, I'd suppose that the free float would allow the converter to fall off without any hinderance? Or is there a way of stopping that, do you think? With a grub screw or something?

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I just like the idea of these.
They're different, and I like "different".
I have to thank "rfryer" for recommending Frogs and bringing my attention to them.
rfryer wrote:I also use Speedplay Frog pedals in preference to SPDs (which I also own). The cleats are equally recessed, but the action is different; a free float, and release without twisting against a spring.

There is a grub screw, and it would no doubt tighten to a degree to lock the cleat into position.
Normally, the cleat/shoe releases very very easily indeed.
Playing with the shoe and pedal combo before fitting the pedal to the bike, the pedal would fall off if you tilted the shoe. It's that light and easy.

I've fitted the pedals (temporarily) to Mercian, and tomorrow I intend to get the bike on the rollers to try the pedals out.
As they protrude below the sole of the shoe, and the cleats cost a packet and are very vulnerable on a road shoe, I won't be going out into the real world with them until I have suitable recessed shoes.
Mick F. Cornwall
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I hope you get on with them, Mick - or I'll feel very guilty!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my XT1039 using hovercraft full of eels.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TBH, I'm really looking forward to them.
I've read a great deal about them since your drawing my attention to them, and I became more and more impressed with the idea.
I've trawled the internet and read forums and reviews, and made my mind up about them.

Yes, they'll take some getting used to, but I'm confident that I'll love them.

Since going over to clipless a dozen years ago, I've been constantly on Campag ProFit. (except for 1,500miles on SPDs when I rode the Raleigh Chopper)
I ended up with two pairs of ProFits eventually - long story why two pairs - and I'm very pleased with them and the way they work. The trouble with road pedals of the "delta" system, is that the plastic cleats wear away eventually. They're not expensive, so I've never really worried, and combined with the fact that I have rarely ever been walking with them, and if I do, I have a pair of covers, they last quite well.

My cycling has changed these days, and now I have a Moulton, I want to take my time more, so walkable cleats are seemingly the way forward. I did debate about having flat pedals and half-clips, but they wouldn't be any good for me for long rides. Next came the idea of flat one side, and clipless the other, but I couldn't see my using the flat side very often.

I could have gone to bog standard SPDs, but that's too simple. I like to be different and not follow the herd, and the Frog idea fitted my brain perfectly. Yes, they're different, and yes, they'll take some getting used to, but I'm utterly confident they're just perfect for me. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I've fitted the pedals (temporarily) to Mercian, and tomorrow I intend to get the bike on the rollers to try the pedals out.
I can report happily that my rollers trial worked fine.

I stopped and started a few times whilst adjusting and learning, then did a good ten minutes blasting along in top gear and coming down the gears to spin, then back up and down a few times.

Initially, they felt wierd, but within a few minutes after getting them adjusted properly, it became second nature. Later, I put the Campag pedals back on, changed shoes, and had another go. That was even weirder! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mick F wrote:Thinking about investing in new pedals and shoes for my Other Bike.
I want walkable ............. therefore SPDs.

I don't want chunky training shoes, but something like a road shoe but with a recessed cleat.

Any recommendations?
Does such a thing exist?

Giro Grynd.

They are very light, well ventilated, and look very understated. Perfect for commuting.

Only two cons: not good in the rain, bacause of the mesh (=use overshoes when rains); and the sole could be thicker, sometimes you can hear the cleats when walking (but this is a problem with almost all SPD shoes)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...